News article from The Observer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an article I've just read from the Observer website and I thought I'd copy it here for other's to read.

My name is Ruth and I have a drink problem; the problem is that I don't drink. Strictly speaking, it isn't my problem. I'm happy to be a non-drinker, apart from the reactions it provokes in some other people.

My husband, family and close friends are used to it now, but it can be embarrassing with people I know less well. Even now, when a slew of reports suggests women are drinking more than they should. One of the tell-tale signs someone is an alcoholic is that they are evasive about their drinking - and so am I. At a business lunch with a new contact who is eagerly eyeing the claret, I wouldn't dream of admitting I don't drink; instead, I'll make a vague remark about having a lot to do later or accept a glass and leave it untouched, a trick I've used many times and never, to my knowledge, been found out.

I would never just come out and say: 'Actually, I don't drink' without first making a quick assessment of how likely my new acquaintance is to write me off there and then.

Not that I would entirely blame them. Teetotallers are not an appealing bunch; you certainly wouldn't want to be gathered round the non-alcoholic punchbowl with Osama bin Laden, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump, and while Adolf Hitler shunned the schnapps, Churchill was saving the free world helped by copious quantities of whisky and champagne.

Positive role models are thin on the ground. We've got Jonny Wilkinson, whose kick is powered by nothing stronger than soft drinks, and Tony Benn, who drinks tea, hourly, by the pint. There is Nicolas Sarkozy, who is said to be a non-drinker, which would mean that - impressively - he must have got up the nerve to seduce Carla Bruni with the aid of Evian alone.

I'm not a lifelong teetotaller; until four years ago, I knocked back the pinot grigio with the best of them. I didn't set out to be an abstainer; sobriety just crept up on me.

One reason people hate teetotallers is they suspect them of being proselytisers. In fact, it's the other way round. I've no desire to lecture anyone or to try to stop them drinking, but there is plenty of pull in the opposite direction. A love of alcohol as a relaxant, a social lubricant and a disinhibitor is one of the few things that unites our class-ridden nation. Choosing not to join in is unsettling, almost subversive, to that social consensus.

The drinking culture is deeply embedded and I'm conscious that for me, it's relatively easy to opt out, because I'm old enough and settled enough not to be subjected to serious peer pressure. I wasn't an alcoholic, so I didn't find it physically or mentally hard to stop and, most important, I'm married: I could never, ever get off with anyone stone-cold sober.

If I were single, a life without drinking would be unimaginable and that's down to the double standards around women and alcohol. With all due respect to the energetic M Sarkozy, the big problem with being teetotal is that it is so utterly unsexy. A man who doesn't drink is somehow not quite a real man; there is an aura of ruined glamour about alcoholics such as George Best that will always elude a sobersides. It's even worse for women. Female alcoholics are more likely to be viewed with distaste than with desire. But a woman who doesn't drink will never be seen as a siren: headmistressy, yes, irresistible, probably not. Apart from anything else, it must be daunting for a man to try to hit on someone who is definitely not about to lose her inhibitions or her judgment.

If I had been born a generation or two earlier, none of this would have been an issue, because many women were like me. My maternal grandmother never let a drop pass her lips after one unfortunate incident at Christmas with a sherry bottle, while my mother imbibes only the infrequent thimbleful. Abstinence was the norm for women in their world, whereas in mine, it is verging on the deviant.

One thing I do notice, in my sober state, is that younger women are being vilified for their allegedly heavy drinking. Charlotte Church, Sarah Harding and others are subjected to cruel and judgmental stories in the tabloids, even though they are doing no more than thousands of high-spirited girls of the same age, most of whom will eventually slide into a calmer lifestyle.

Scare stories about the health damage being suffered by the 'Bridget Jones' brigade of thirtysomething women appear almost weekly. The statistics on hepatitis and liver failure are alarming, but how many of these stories are motivated by a genuine concern for their health and how much by a chauvinist desire to stamp on women having a good time is anyone's guess.

Abuse by women certainly seems to attract more column inches than that by men. We have a deeply ambivalent attitude in this country towards women and alcohol. Drink to excess and you're a bit of a slapper; drink only a bit or not at all and you're a prude or a bore. Sober or drunk, a girl just can't win.

Britons of both genders have a peculiarly self-punishing attitude towards alcohol; we don't tend to drink moderately in pleasant surroundings, we binge all night in pubs or clubs. We just should be able to enjoy a drink - or not - without it being such a big deal. It's time to get over it.
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

hippie37;272120 wrote: This is an article I've just read from the Observer website and I thought I'd copy it here for other's to read.

A man who doesn't drink is somehow not quite a real man; .
    Actually guys - I used to think that this was how non-drinkers were viewed by the ladies too - until I went AF.

Now I actually find some ladies MORE interested in me BECAUSE I dont drink - while all around are drinking.
    They are often intrigued - and find me "mysterious" in some inexplicable way.

Or - maybe it is just because, by the end of the evening, I am the only male around that can still string two words together and can actually talk to them instead of drooling while having a conversation with their chests! :H

Love

satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

"We just should be able to enjoy a drink - or not - without it being such a big deal. It's time to get over it."

I know this seems to be an odd line to quote at MWO.....but I so think it is true.... It's the old, "Don't think of a lemon" statement....alcohol is figuring more and more in life because it is constantly being used for any and every kind of judgement - as this article, IMHO, is suggesting...

I've often wondered quite which way some of us would go if we truly separated the two questions of, "How much should I drink according to external opinion of any kind?" (Less OR more) and "How much do I truly want to drink? Some, occasionally or none?" (The 'none' in the latter being our own conscience in the mirror...i.e. we know we are not who we want to be, who we truly are, when we are full of Al.....and we really don't need anyone else to tell us; we know..) (And I think some of the time we would be surprised that we wouldn't go further than the one glass if we 'obeyed' our own inner sensations....but we've been so wound up by the endless inner-interogating, we don't recognise these any more.)

The muddle the media has put so many of us in around food, drink, meds, lifestyles......well, of course, that's exactly what they want to do - to shock, to ruffle, to 'discombobulate' - not for any purpose: that's irrelevant.....but we fall for it every time....they haven't spent millions on making sure we do only to fail...to me it's the biggest 'sick power' existing. Do we really
      want to pay out money to let people 'get off' on our discomfort?

Having said which, thanks Hippie!!! Thanks for buying The Guardian and posting this!!

Satori and Hippie - hunks you are anyway.....I've never found alcohol to have anything to do with making someone sexy.....Dog, are people really that shallow?!??! (Accepting that wine can make someone's rather tactless or negative words more acceptable - until later...)

Hugs
      FMS xx
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

I guess I would have to be someone who cares what others think of me to worry about this.

Never have been.

Unfortunately, it also makes quitting tough, too. I don't care what others think. It is all internal.

Interesting article, though, because it sure shows the dichotomy of the culture about drinking and believe it or not it is the same in the U.S.

Thanks, Hippie.

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Interesting article.

Satori, we definitely find you more interesting because you don't drink!
          Enough is enough

Comment

Good article. Why do we live in a society where alcohol is so important? It shouldn't be a big deal whether we drink or not. ...like Ruth said. We are a culture of bingers. There must be something very wrong in this world that we have the need to binge binge binge.....Or maybe its just me! lol Alcohol has to be respected otherwise, before we know it we are addicted. Alcoholism has crept up on me over the years.....and it hasnt helped that it is soooo encouraged everywhere i go.

Anyway, lots of love from a boring T- totaller!!!! Bella xxx

Comment

Working...
            X