In a quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a quandry

Hi everyone, I am in a muddle and don't know what to do. Today is day 42 for me and things do seem to be getting easier, I think - finally. With the help of my doctor I am doing better than I ever have. I am currently being weened off a sedative and he has now prescribed me an antidepressant (citalopram) to continue to assist my recovery. I have taken 2 but missed last nights as I am concerned about the side effects...( not that I've had anything major so far, just a headache and a strange taste in my mouth) but I have now googled the drug and am freaked at the exhaustive list of the side effects... "rapid" weight gain, sexual dysfunction and tiredness... great. However It's mainly the weight gain I am concerned about. (I have a history of eating dissorders which are now under control). The doctor told me I would not gain weight with these tabs but all the info contradicts this. What I really want to know is, if anyone is taking this medication, what side effects did you suffer and do the benefits outway the side effects. I know I need something because sometimes the depression and anxiety are unmanageable to the point of me not wanting to "be here" anymore. I had one failed attempt and i don't want to go there again. Does anyone know if all SSRI's cause weight gain and tiredness ? I do a lot of sport and need to be focused. I'd appreciate any feed back on this from anyone who can help as I don't know whether to take them or not. Cheers Guys
    _formerly posted in meds_________________
    Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

In a quandry

I took Citalopram and had gained no weight, nor had headaches. The drug just didn't work for me as far as lifting my depression, so I went to something else, but I did not have the side-effects you mentioned. Why don't you try the drug and see if you have those side-effects and if it helps you. They have to list any POSSIBLE side-effect, but that doesn't mean YOU will have it. Good luck hon.

Comment

In a quandry

Hi SK8RGRL!

My own experience of citalopram was not a bad one TBH. I was on it for three years until I changed recently to a newer one called Mirtazipine when I found the citalopram wasn't really helping. (I was still drinking while I was taking citalopram as I only really stopped drinking/binging heavily in June last year). I think once I stopped drinking the anti d's where able to do the job they were meant to do but unfortunately when I was suffering with depression recently (still am TBH) it became obvious that they were probably not doing what they were supposed to be doing (JUST MY OPINION) which is why I changed.
      I'm now having the same problem as you with this new one though where my weight has increased and I'm retaining water to the extent that I've just swelled up like a water balloon. I swear if I weren't a bloke you'd think I was pregnant. Just putting my socks on is a struggle at the moment!!!!.
      In MY honest opinion I think your body metabolism has a lot to do with the side effects and it's like women taking the birth control pill. you have to find one that is right for you and your body. A lot of the side effects are put on the information leaflets by the chemical companies who don't want to be sued; so they have to cover their backs I think by covering all the possible side effects known to man!! I think they are pretty much standard for all anti'd patient leaflets. I could be wrong.

R U taking them of a nightime? When I took citalopram I took them in the morning with breakfast (sometimes they were breakfast!!)... NO PROBLEMS!! Mirtazapine I'm taking of a nighttime before bed, as they are also a strong sedative,.... MR BALLOON MAN!! (hey don't forget I could be putting two and two together and making five here as my liver function may have a lot to do with it). BUT if you are taking them of a nighttime then I wonder if that may be the problem as is the case with me. I'm off to see my GP tomorrow anyway to get to the bottom of my problems, I would suggest you do the same if you are still concerned and get ALL the facts from him/her

Love and Happiness
      Hippie (AKA BALLOON MAN)

xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

In a quandry

OMG Hippie 37 I wasn't expecting that, now I really am worried! Is that what they mean by "rapid weight gain" ? ha. oh well at least it made me smile. I think I will take tabs for a couple of weeks and monitor closely any weight gain. If I suspect the slightest possibility of me turning into a big purple bubble I'll ditch them on the double! cheers for that mr balloon Man...I think
        Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

In a quandry

I just wanted to give you lots of hugs. I started Lexapro again a couple months ago. I'm glad I did, but I'm in the same boat... I have a history of an ED and although it is under "control" at the moment... it is always there in the back of my mind, somewhere. Not that I ever want to land in underweight hell like I was a couple years ago, but there is an odd appeal nonetheless that doesn't seem to disappear completely. Plus I am enjoying my hair again. lol

Back to your med question. Feeling better actually is worth it, but I don't think you'll gain anything directly related to your meds, and if you do it shouldn't be rapid enough to frighten you.

((hugs)) I do understand.
          Laura-31
          Windsor, CT

Comment

In a quandry

What works for one may not work for another. I've seen people lose weight on the same anti-d that other people have gained weight on. It's really a matter of what works for you. I've been on several different anti-d's, and they've all been weight neutral with me. I didn't gain, and I didn't lose.

Now OTHER things have caused me to gain or lose.
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

In a quandry

Hi sK8trgrl,

Most people gain weight on SSRI's, some people lose weight, and some remain weight neutral. I gained weight on every SSRI I've tried. I'm on EMSAM now, a patch...and am not gaining any weight. Just see what happens! You can always switch!

:h
              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
              - George Jackson

Comment

In a quandry

Hi SK8,
                I took citalopram, although only for a couple of weeks, so can`t comment on how it would affect weight. What I will say is, apparently it can cause nausea and headache in quite a few people, but I didn`t have any such problems with it........I was fine on it and actually felt my mood lift within a very short space of time, so was disappointed when it brought me up in hives, causing me to have to come off it. I think it`s very much a case of trial and error with antidepressants, but worth persevering `til we find one that is effective for us. Now I`m off to boards to ask for info on the new AD my doc has prescribed for me. :H

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                X