Scrutinizing our excuses for drinking . . . in a new light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I have a decent number of AF days under my belt, I find that I'm increasingly becoming aware of the faulty logic we use when we give in to our cravings. In particular, I find that, although still plagued by cravings, I can't for the life of me comprehend how I ever found my reasons for drinking convincing. For example, this morning I had a HUGE craving for wine, and as nuts as it sounds, in the past it was a regular occurrence for me to relax with a bottle in the middle of the morning. I quickly was able to convince myself that I did not "deserve to drink" because I had been AF for nearly 3 weeks, but then a curious thing occurred. I had the stark realization that for some time it had seemed perfectly reasonable for me to buy and consume a bottle of wine at 10:30 in the friggin' morning! Most people are having their first coffee break at this time, and I'm considering having a drink!

I think that's one reason this addiction is so hard to beat. Drinking becomes such a central part of our lives that there isn't a situation fathomable in which the decision to drink seems inappropriate. I know when I took my first drink at age 14 I would've thought that someone hitting the sauce in the morning had a serious problem, yet now that scenario seems perfectly normal! There is simply no other way to describe this than manifest INSANITY! In any case, I'm happy that this morning I joined the ranks of the 10:30am coffee goers rather than waiting for the liquor store to open in the freezing morning snow.

hi there..5thaday. doesnt it feel good in the morning now . here have a another cup of coffee. and now i think the only addiction i have is this site . it feels really strange. first thing in the morning i wake up. for me its like reading the morning paper. and it really help me .see things clearer. so hey keep it up. great job. and have a great day
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Good for you 5th for having a change in your thinking. I quit when I just got sick to death of all my flimsy justifications for drinking.........I knew only too well that I was deluding myself..........seemed to take forever to face up to that though. Glad I did now.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Right. It wasn't that long ago when I was hyper aware when 8 a.m. arrived... everything opened. It's nice that there is nothing exactly special about that time anymore, although I still seem to be aware of it. :dunno:
        Laura-31
        Windsor, CT

Comment

Ah, yes the morning drink, because hey - it's 5:00 somewhere! I used to convinve myself I was ok as long as I waited until the respectable hour of noon! I didn't drink as bad as some many other people as long as I waited for that last 60 seconds of the AM to hit the PM timeframe. Like those friggin 60 secs kept people from thinking, OMG she drinks in the morning! I really would watch the clock! Crazy, huh?

Keep up the good work, 5th. We are with you!

Love, Me
          :l
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Amen!
            BHOG
            War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

The mind is so strong when it comes to justification.
              We can justify anything, if that is what gets us to our end goal.

"But your Honor, I had to kill my spouse.
              I promised Until Death Do Us Part."

Dx
              * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Ummm....DX, sweetie....is DR all right? The last part of your post is a little alarming. You sure he left "on a business trip"?

Just joking!! :H You are too funny.

Love, Me

Comment

Really. Uh huh. Sure he did.

Dx
                  * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Hi 5th! Yes, all the outrageous rationalizing we do ... damned amazing. Hey, you are definitely a distinguished gentleman. Who are you? Ulysses Grant? I will figure it out ..
                    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Hi 5th. Oh yeees, the excuses, ho hum.... I had to constantly tell myself that I didn't deserve a drink but that I deserved to be sober. Excuses/rationalising/convincing ourselves - even arguing with ourselves - lol, what would aliens think of us eh?

LOL Dexterhead

Lxx
                      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Dex,

I'll give you a hint. My avatar has nothing to do with politics (although in retrospect, it could pass for Grant). Think music!

Comment

Uhoh, I thought it was Freud! Sorry......
                          Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Ummmm.....Peter Tchaikovsky? Sorry about the spelling.

Love, Me

Comment

OK, heading straight to Wikipedia...
                              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X