Drinking in Literature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking in Literature

Earlier tonight I started reading a novel I've always wanted to read, 'Crime and Punishment', by Dostoyevsky. In the second chapter of part one, there is a poignant encapsulation of the ravages of heavy drinking and its relation to families in extreme poverty. I'm not going to spoil any details for anyone, but let's just say the events in this chapter are an excellent example of the "aw, fuck it, I'm going to get drunk!" attitude that so many of us have embraced at difficult times in our lives, times when having a drink is the last thing we should've been doing. The fact that the events were set in 19th century Russia but still speak to the experiences of someone in the 21st century is a true testament to the universal, ahistorical nature of alcohol addiction!

Drinking in Literature

Wow !!! Old "AL" has been around for a very long time indeed !!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Drinking in Literature

Hi 5thaday

God How many times have i said that one....one 2 many i guess. Its so true.
      i'm going to watch the film again.
      Thanks for this post.

Love
      Teardrop.x
      family is everything to me

Comment

Drinking in Literature

damn, fifth, I actually read that book years ago, although not in the original Russian

still trying to figure out who you are (avatar). William Jennings Bryan?
        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Drinking in Literature

Ha ha- I'll just tell you, since no one seems close to ascertaining the identity of my mysterious avatar. It is Camille Saint-Saens, a 19th century French composer.

Comment

Drinking in Literature

oh !! "The Carnival of the Animals"
            thank you 5th!
            My avatar is no one famous, just a dancing Travolta cat who's been mainlining amphetamines.
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Drinking in Literature

The title of this thread just touches on the very tip of the iceberg-- great literature and alcohol.

I could write a book on it-- ha ha, I almost did. But then my psychiatrist told me: "You are not a great writer, you are an alcoholic, so stop drinking!". So much for that career (you can just guess which career was dumped).

But, I want to know why Saint-Saens?
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
              X