Why do I pick such STUPID men?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, I just started this program in January. I have been sober for about a month and totally AF for the last 14 days. My sobriety has opened my eyes to my relationship and I broke things off about 3 weeks ago. However, he is still under the delusion that things will work out and I can't get rid of him. We, of course, own a house together and under the current market it is difficult to sell. I have moved to the back of the house - luckily I travel for work and am gone most of the week and then try to spend my weekends at my cabin in the mountains (which is mine, not his).

SO, when I do come home, to touch base, pick up mail - do laundry, whatever - he always wants to prove to me how he has "changed" and seems to be under this delusion that he can win me back with these little tricks....

So, last night, I get home from a week of traveling. I am exhausted, it's 10pm - I have just spent a VERY bumpy plane ride home.
    He asks me: "So, are you still doing that no drinking thing?"

I answer, very calmly: "yes" - as if I haven't told him a million times that I am sober now and that i is one of the many reasons that I can no longer be with him (he's a BIG drinker)

He asks: "Well, for how long has that been going on?"

I answer again: "Well, as usual, you don't listen to a word I have said - it has been 4 weeks."

He says: "well, cause I bought you a bottle of that Shiraz wine you like, I thought you might need it after the week you had"

And then I just lost it. As if all the desperation, hard work, pain, suffering, withdrawals, doubt, relapses/guilt, etc I went through to get where I am in the last two months was worth nothing and ONE hard week of travel and work was going to make me throw it all away and drink a bottle of wine with him - what a complete f____g idiot.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him - maybe he was just trying to help. or, maybe he needs me to drink so that he can hold onto me. I doubt it - I think he's just plain S.T.U.P.I.D.

Thanks for letting me vent.:l
    Peace,
    Deb

Deb,

I have to agree, he is just plain STUPID!!

and he wants you to start drinking again so he can get you back.

I am incredibly impressed and proud of you for having the strength to end a hopeless relationship and sober up.

You go girl!!

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Deb, you said it: He needs you to drink so he can hold on to you.

He's losing a drinking buddy.

Way to be strong!
      Marcie

Comment

Great job Deb. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing fabulous!!!!!!!!!
        Goal 1: Today
        Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Thanks, guys. I was so angry - but instead of grabbing that bottle of wine and drinking my anger away like I normally would when he pulled this kind of crap, I grabbed my girlie novel and crawled into bed with my puppies and read myself to sleep - so peaceful and nice...

This site has really helped me through all of this - I can't even imagine making it without all of you - even if I have been mostly a lurker....

Comment

Deb,

I am so proud of you - you have an inner strength and should be commended on your achievements.

Go girl..........
            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
            :h

Comment

Well done Skygal, Perhaps you could have grabbed the bottle and hit him over the head with it .......... :H
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Deb, that is purely a control issue, he is loosing you to sobriety so he is trying to woo you back over. Good for you for staying on track. Me I would have been meaner I would have opened the bottle and poured it now the sink in front of him
                Hugs
                M

Comment

We men have a tendency to think we can 'fix' things instead of letting change come about whether it be good OR bad!!. It's just something we do!!! It's a natural instinct I think but I'm not going to get into a debate about the psychology of things and the MARS/VENUS ideology!!!

It took me 3 months being sober before I realised pretty much the same thing with my ex-partner. It's not that we didn't probably have feelings for one another. I just realised that I was probably drinking due to my unhappiness within that relationship and we were both on different paths. I think the age gap of 12 years was starting to show as well!!! I kind of did a lot growing up when I gave up drink!!. Still got my sense of humour in tact though!!!!!

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  xx

p.s. You must have a big house to be able to move to 'the back' of it!!!!lol did you get removal men in to help you!!!lol
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

:thumbs::rockband:Yay for you Skygal/Deb!!!!!
                    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

LMAO - too tired to think of hitting him over the head with it or pouring it down the sink.

Hippie - not a big house, but the master is separated from the 2 back bdrms/other bath by a good size living area so I call it the "back of the house". i have a bdrm/bath/office back here so it suits me fine. He still invades all the time though....

Comment

Hey Sky.....You Rock!

You will bring somone truly worthy of you into your life!!!

Far too many woman don't have the balls to say no! They stay in bad relationships, fooling themselves, so terribly sad...........

Carpe Diem!!
                        XX KateH
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Good for you Skygal!! You twarted his evil plan to get you back in the bottle and back in numb land. I think it was planned.

Hippie you are a good guy, so none of this is aimed at you in any way, and thanks for trying to explain Mars.

:h Suz
                          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

This reminds me of an 80's song : " Why do good girls like bad boys".....IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                            X