withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

withdrawal

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to post a message to remind everyone how dangerous alcohol withdrawal can be. I am truly not trying to be preachy or no-it-all, just really putting this out there with care and concern for everyone here who is struggling like myself. Severe alcohol withdrawal can unequivacabley be a dangerous and fatal event if the right medical attention is not recieved. I have witnessed this myself on many occasions in my work. Shaking, tremors, vomiting, if severe, are not a game that your brain is playing on you that you should just will yourself into getting over. They can end your life. Again I'm not trying to sound morose.I get really concerned when I read about someone here who sounds like they are in severe withdrawal . Everyone gives really wonderful,appropriate, loving advice.
    I just think we should really emphasize if they are alone to call 911, or even AA who will send someone over if they don't have someone available. Love, Aquamarine
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
    AF SINCE 3/16/2016

withdrawal

Thanks Aquamarine, not preachy at all, just sensible advice .......:thanks:
    sigpicXXX

Comment

withdrawal

Hi Aquamarine,
      I agree with Miss Boop, very good advice indeed! Especially for those who don't know the symptoms, or have never experienced them.
      Thanks for caring
      hugs,
      K
      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

withdrawal

Yes, thanks to everyone here, I am getting professional help now. I have been fighting this beast for almost 2 years now. I was winning for several months...with the help of you all. I will do it again!

Comment

withdrawal

Luv- Good to hear that you are getting professional care.

Aqua- You are absolutley right. The consequences of alcohol withdrawal can be much more serious that withdrawal form heroin or cocain.

Unfortunately we feel such shame and confusion that we keep repeating such a damaging behaviour, that we feel as if we must "tough out" the real physical consequences of a binge.

I hope that anyone who reads this thread understands that while the supplements work for longterm sobriety, they are as RJ states repeatedly intended to replace care by a physician, especially during an episode of acute alcohol withdrawal.

Comment

withdrawal

Well crap, this is what happens when I don't re-read my posts before sending. What I ment to say was that RJ does NOT endorse the use of supplements in place of medical care especially in acute withdrawal.

My bad and my aplolgies to you and RJ.

Comment

withdrawal

Thanks Rob

Thanks for the correction. No apology necessary and you're absolutely right.

To all: this link from the National Institutes of Health is provided at the top of our page and will help you understand the serious nature of alcohol withdrawal.

And this forum
              provides additional resources for those in crisis.

We urge you to seek the help you need and deserve--and to do so swiftly. Look to our forum and our program for support but please take alcohol withdrawal very seriously. It often requires medical intervention.

RJ
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

withdrawal

Alcohol & other drugs - Withdrawal
                Here's a link to an Australian Government site for Medical Practitioners regarding withdrawal.
                I hope that fear of withdrawal does not discourage people from giving up the booze.As this site points out less than 5% of alcoholics suffer from severe life threatening symptoms and is most unlikely to happen if your under 30 years old.
                The sooner you give up pouring the poison down your throat the less likely you are of suffering major side effects.Best to consult your Doctor before giving up if your truly worried about the consequences.
                I've just passed my 500th day AF (503 to be precise) and it was the best thing I have ever done.
                Please don't let the fear of a possibility stop anyone from from freeing themselves of this beast.
                Good luck to everyone
                Victoria xxooxx

Comment

withdrawal

503 days is wonderful....good for you!

Comment

withdrawal

I really want to make clear that I in no way was intending to discourage people from trying to stop drinking. In fact my intent is the exact opposite. I was debating whether to even write this thread for the very reason that I didn't want to sound overreactive or that people might take it the wrong way.I actually really hardly ever post but LuvuAll sounded to me like she could be having a seriously tough time and might need some medical attention. My intent was simple to just put it out there that if have stopped drinking and you find that you are feeling much much worse than you expected and are scared, to take it seriously. Probably the majority of people withdrawing don't fall into the category as severe as I was talking about and can tough it out on there own. But I can't tell you how many young people end up in intensive care units from alcohol because they actually have no idea how sick alcohol and withdrawal can make you. Aquamarine
                    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                    AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

withdrawal

Your post was greatly appreciated. I needed all the support I could get. It has been a rough 5 days!!!!

Comment

withdrawal

Aquamarine...Your concern and knowledge was right on the money.
                        Those that may withdraw into DT's need to know..you might seize...you may hallucinate, etc. Not everyone experiences withdrawl to that degree...and likely very few....BUT...prevention is the greatest cure...we as alcoholics (while drinking, hence being liable to suffer acute withdrawl), need to be aware that sometimes...it CAN get bad...and if it does...never be afraid to go directly to emerg, or call 911 and get help. WE ARE WORTH IT. Always better safe than sorry.

hugs,
                        Kim
                        Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

withdrawal

Aqua-We could use more intelligent, informed posts such as yours. You obviously know both sides of AL and have much to offer.

Don't worry about discouraging people from stopping drinking. If they didn't want to quit, they wouldn't be here!!

Comment

Working...
                          X