Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't drink your troubles away ... they just learn how to swim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on and off here the past two weeks and finally feel well enough to write a bit.

The FLU-VIRUS-FROM-HELL nailed me ... and hard this year!! :upset: I'll say one thing; for (10) days I woozed in and out of my life with promises to God of "living right." Pretty crappy way to quit smoking AND drinking, I must say.

But I must give pause when I think of a few flu/boozing dichotomies ...

1. BOOZE: Why did I consider it "normal" to poison myself with booze until I puked? In fact, I often wished I could puke more often to get rid of the coming hangover.
    FLU: I was scared of poisoning myself with meds (on a self-diagnosed "tenuous liver") and was seriously frightened by vomiting and thoughts of choking.

2. BOOZE: Killed the need for food calories as a convenience to dieting (course I always forgot to count the liquid calories *eyeroll*). Loved it when my lips got "numb" and I knew the brain was quick to follow.
    FLU:
    Bombarded all my senses to death. Could not smell or taste ... and the numbness in my mouth remains. Even chicken soup only burnt from heat ... no flavor. I bought vinegar/salt chips and could merely sense texture.

3. BOOZE:
    Ok. We've all been there. Didn't quite make it to the bathroom in time and wet our panties on MANY occasions. Hell .. pajamas, dresses ... even ditched a pair of pantyhose in a hotel bar bathroom because I "forgot" to take them down before I used the ladies room.
    FLU:
    Good God, Sweet Jesus. I have had fear of coughing, sneezing, farting, blinking, breathing .... You guys have no idea how many times I showered and changed pajamas in the past (10) days.

Just had to vent all of this. See? I've had too many days of delirium lately and all this crap has been running through my mind. Speaking of "running" ... I am not really seeing a significant weightloss through this entire ordeal, dammit!! Makes me think I really was just full of ....

Anyway ... makes you wonder why we abuse ourselves in this disease without a second thought ... then bargain with God when we feel a "true disease" is kicking our butts.

Love to all.
    - Masq
    Courage is fear that has said its prayers. - Karl Barth
    :wings: :huggy

Masq,
    sorry you were so ill, but this post made me think!!!!! I was bargaining with God myself!

Comment

LUVUALL -
      I've been praying for you and knowing you are struggling along with most of us. Am so pleased that you are reaching out to AA and was thrilled to read that you and RJ have been talking.

Keep strong and keep writing. We all LUVU-LUVUALL!!!!

- Masq xoxoxo

Comment

Hi Masq! I love your posts! My sympathies with THE FLU FROM HELL. I had it two years ago. I have never been that ill. Soaked many sheets from sweating, then freezing. I kept trying to go into work, although I could barely drive or see, and ended up getting pneumonia. Flu is HELL!!!
        Oh , and I didn't lose any weight either, despite not eating for 10 days. bleahh!!
        :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Thanks for the support Mas..

Comment

OMG, Dex ...

I just realized that your dancing cat may have been one of my "visions" during a feverish episode, lmaoo.

xoxoxox
            - Masq

Comment

Hi Masq,
              Great to hear from you! Love the title of your post!

I was right there with you with the Flu from Hell! I even had gotten the Flu shot!!

I came down with the Flu 2 weeks ago today.....tried to do some work last week and it was close to impossible! Finally today, I really feel like myself again!

So happy to hear that you are feeling better too!

Rest Well,
              XXKateH
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I'm glad you are feeling atleast a little better. If that nasty bug is what's brought you to sobriety then that's the silver lining.
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Hi KateH -

Glad you have recovered as well ! Wasn't it a bear??? I am your classic germaphobe but still managed to get snagged.

Welcome back to the world of the living ... lol.

- Masq

Comment

No you sure can't drink it away, I have tried! Then you sobber up and realize, the problems are all still there and you are sick as a dog to boot and have caused yourself major anxiety.

Comment

Masq and Kate,

So glad you both are on the mend!! :l

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Masq, I loved that, so so true .....

Glad that you are feeling better ........:l
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

Masq~
                          You should make bumper stickers! SO TRUE!
                          "You can't drink your troubles away... They just learn how to swim.":beach:
                          I'm glad you are feeling better- I, too, had the bug and didn't lose any weight... and I can empathize with all of your horrible experiences! :ranger
                          As I was recovering, I gave that horrid bug to my 10 year old so that he could miss school for a week, too. :upset:
                          Did your dog keep you company? Mine did ...:armsaround: Welcome Back!

Patty
                          Tampa, FL

Comment

Masq,

Love your thoughts and the way you put your own spin on things with your sense of humor. Glad you are on the mend. Had the bad bug starting New Years Eve, 2007. Thought I was going to die! Take care of yourself!

Best
                            "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Thanks, Guys -
                              And yes ... all (3) of my dogs shadowed their raggedy-ass, germ-infested-Mom ... like good, 4-legged, furry protectors ... God love them!!

It really is disturbing to think how we deal ourselves the choice of AL poison ... then freak out when the straight crap truly hits the fan.

Hope everyone stays healthy ... and sober!

Love you all.
                              - Masq

Comment

Working...
                              X