RELIVING OUR STORY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RELIVING OUR STORY

First, let me begin by saying that I truly believe, what ever works for you, do it! The most important thing is to stay sober! If AA works for you, by all means keep going!

So, with that being said. With all that has gone on here over the past few days, I finally realized one of the main reasons that I do not like AA. It is the constant living in the past. Telling and retelling the same "Stories". It is important to let things go, to get things out, purge, so to speak. But once that is done, it is time to move forward and we simply cannot move forward if we keep living in the past. None of us can change the past. What we can do is take positive steps to make today and tomorrow better. We cannot change today's thinking by remaining "Stuck" in our old thinking.

I ask, how many people have been successful at recovery, while still staying stuck in the past? How many horrendous stories of loss and despair truly cause us not to drink? How many times of telling and living in "Our Story" does it take to become sober? Or does adopting "New Thinking", New Habits, and a "Healthy Outlook" lead us to a renewed and sober life? What do you think?
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

RELIVING OUR STORY

I, for one, love to go to AA meetings.

Typically, there is seldom the "reliving" going on I always hear people complaining about. What I usually hear is things like, "I learned to do this to deal with this.." kind of thing, which I find extremely helpful. Especially because you can actively engage in a conversation face-to-face.

Of course, there is the whole, Step thing, which I haven't started to get into yet.

Yes, sometimes people do tell their story but it usually in the context of "I was here and now I am here, and this is how I did it. Yea!!"

Just my take.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

RELIVING OUR STORY

yep

I feel that they "tell their story" to show how they have moved from the past and what made them behave that certain way..........I think in AA they do that to help them not act that way in the future, to try to get rid of self-centered, destructive patterns they used to have...........In AA they say "progress, not perfection" in doing this...........

I am trying to become open-minded when dealing w/ AA this time around, cuz I haven't been so in the past, and cannot use it well to help me stay AF if I am thinking w/ a "closed mind"................that is just me though!:cents

love,:h:l

MA
      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

RELIVING OUR STORY

I have never been to an AA meeting but am warming up to the concept. I think it may be therapeutic to be finally able to speak about the things that got me here with people that understand, otherwise to not do so would be like denying I ever had a problem.
        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
        Watch this and find out....
        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

RELIVING OUR STORY

OK, allow me to clearify what I said. It is helpful, to tell our story, it is also helpful to talk to others in similar positions to help work through our issues. I am not, no definitely not implying that we "ignor or deny our problem nor our past. But, living our story of the past, and staying stuck in the past is not helpful. At some point (not at first), but yes, at some point, we must let the past be the past and let it go!

Cindi-Like I said, if AA helps you not drink......great! I am truly and sincerely happy for you.
          Cowgal-It is always a good idea to stay open minded. I have made my decision on my and I ephasize, "My" experience.

May everyone here, find their way out!!
          KateH
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

RELIVING OUR STORY

I never wanted to go to AA. I've been to groups before. And as my Therapist has always complained I do more questioning others and helping them than share myself. I just don't like the venue. But, AA has undoubtedly helped many and I am glad it is there as a resource.

It's just not one I feel comfortable with. My two cents.

Comment

Working...
            X