Inspiration Motivation in Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Hippie. "What's The Matter Here" is on of my favorite songs. I love 10000 Maniacs because their songs are so topical. They tackled it all. Child abuse, teen pregnancy, illiteracy, alcoholism, etc.
    Never heard of "All about Eve" or "The Sundays" but liked them both a lot. Will have to look for their cds.

I love the tune "Protection". This is one of my favorite Tracey Thorn tunes.

[ame= ]YouTube - The Style Council - The Paris Match (Tracey Thorn Version)[/ame]

I saw this band at a little bar in Philadelphia. They have since split up but I loved the lead singers voice.

[ame= ]YouTube - Cousteau - (Damn) These Hungry Times[/ame]

[ame= ]YouTube - The Last Good Day of the Year[/ame]

Comment

Song from one of my favorite movies, To Sir With Love.

[ame= ]YouTube - To Sir With Love - Natalie Merchant and Michael Stipe 1993[/ame]

Comment

Hippie, since you like Natalie's and Tracey's vocals you might like this band. If I can get it to work. I checked out All about Eve's "Road to Soul". Nice sound.

I love this thread. I love being exposed to new bands/new music. There is a local band here in Philadelphia called Grey Eye Glances. Can't find them on youtube but they are in itunes. Will try and add a song of theirs. Beautiful voice on the lead singer.

Found this link, see if it works.

Grey Eye Glances Angel - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks!

Comment

Love STRAIGHT LINES...cannot find it at the Music Store?? any suggestions? Can i burn it from here? :thanks:

Comment

Ripple, this website has music you can download for $0.10 and an album for $1.99. They have Silverchair's "Straight Lines" if you can't burn it from here.

Download mp3 music, buy mp3 music ? MP3fiesta.com

Comment

I'm so glad you brought Cousteau to my attention again cuckoo. I remember hearing them a while back in the music band association thread but I forgot to add the video to my youtube playlists. Tell me? Who do you think his voice sounds like? I can't think of the guy's name but I'm sure you will be able to confirm the missing link in my head.

Ah cucks me dearest!! For the first time YET I think we'll have to agree to disagree on our musical choices. I was a massive Jam fan and I also liked Paul Weller's transgression into The Style Council (even though he is quoted as saying he hated it!!). The Paris Match was on the B-side to "Long Hot Summer" which I can still to this day remember buying while on holiday with my folks out in Wales. I didn't even have a record player in the caravan we were staying in but I had to still buy it on the release date. That's how fanatical I was about Paul Weller. So unfortunately Tracy does not get good reviews for that cover version from this hippie!!!

I also think I need to hear a bit more than a 30 second snippet from Grey Eye Glances. It's not one of those voices that jumps out at you straight away and has it's own uniqueness. I'll try Amazon and if not Limewire where I download all my music (mp3's) from for free.

Right back to The Style Council and here's that great summer tune from them Long Hot Summer!!

It's really starting to piss me off all these youtube vids that are completely out of sync!!

Ah Well!!

[ame= ]YouTube - Long Hot Summer[/ame]

The Jam playing A Town Called Malice on their final tour in 1982. I was 12 at this time and I went to see them in Liverpool on this their final tour. It was my first ever live gig!! I had to sit in the balcony seats at the venue because I was too small to stand up with the rest of the crowd.
                [ame= ]YouTube - The Jam - Town Called Malice (Live)[/ame]

And finally My favourite Paul Weller tune is '1 x 1' an album song so this is not an official video. This song was playing in my brother's car back from the hospital where I had just spent the last 16 or so hours watch my dad slowly die after his life support had been turned off. None of us could talk as we were all worn out and still in 'realisation' mode that we would never see him again.

Not one of the strongest vocalists is our Paul but he's still known affectionately as The Modfather.

[ame= ]YouTube - Paul Weller - One x One[/ame]

Share your dreams
                Give us all the beam we need
                Like electric light
                In a ballroom scene
                Going one x one

Shed your chains
                To earth like dew and all remain
                Forever in another vein
                As you slip into another dream

Don't fear not
                Not where you tread
                Fear only- the lies you're fed

Head that sign
                For all of us who wait in line
                Waiting for the words to rhyme
                Bringing on a brand new day

Don't fear not
                Not where you tread
                Fear only- the lies you're fed

So dance little dancer
                Like you've never danced before
                It's just a moment
                We're going through
                This is the new dance that we do
                So sing little brother
                And turn on everyone
                Lift are spirits high
                To a place we need to find

Share your dreams
                Give us all the beam we need
                Like electric light
                In a ballroom scene
                Going one x one

Shed your chains
                To earth like dew and all remain
                Forever in another vein
                Going on one x one

Right, sentimental old bugger that I am, I'll wipe a tear from me face :boohoo:and say good evening all. C U ALL later!!

Love and Happiness
                Hippie
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

cuckoo..that is AWESOME....i have to try..Hubby just left to go to the bar for the day! :thanks:

Comment

cucks here's a song that reminds me slightly of The Lead singer's vocal style in Cousteau. Still it's not the one I'm thinking of though!!!

[ame= ]YouTube - BLACK "Wonderful Life"[/ame]
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Ripple, glad you can use it. It isn't as user friendly as itunes but it is a lot cheaper.

Hippie, can't think of who's voice Liam sounds like but I do love it. I mentioned I saw them in a bar in center city Philadelphia and Liam grabbed 2 beers at the bar next to where we were sitting. I was too shy to ask for an autograph. The venue was very small and the sound was excellent. As for "The Paris Match" we can agree to respectfully disagree. This was the song that turned me on to Tracey Thorn and EBTG. I'm a big Jam, Style Council, Paul Weller fan but hadn't heard the 1X1 tune before. Very nice. It's funny how much music means to us in difficult times. My father passed away in 1987. He had been quite ill and was in the hospital for a long spell. There was a Simply Red song that was popular at the time that I would often hear on my way to and from the hospital. To this day I can't hear it without getting misty eyed. Hippie, thanks for sharing.

[ame= ]YouTube - Simply Red - Holding back the years[/ame]

Holding back the years,
                      Thinking of the fear I've had for so long.
                      When somebody hears,
                      Listen to the fear that's gone.
                      Strangled by the wishes of pater,
                      Hoping for the arm of mater,
                      Get to me sooner or later,

Nothing ever could, yeah.
                      I'll keep holding on,
                      I'll keep holding on,
                      I'll keep holding on,
                      I'll keep holding on.

Chance for me to escape from all I know.
                      Holding back the tears.
                      There's nothing here has grown.
                      I've wasted all my tears,
                      Wasted all those years.
                      Nothing had the chance to be good,

Nothing ever could, yeah.
                      I'll keep holding on,

I'll keep holding on,
                      I'll keep holding on,
                      I'll keep holding on
                      So tight.

Comment

Hippie, liked Black. You're right does sound a lot like Cousteau. Will keep an eye for this group. Like the tune too.

Comment

One of my style council favorites.

[ame= ]YouTube - Style Council-You´reThe Best Thing[/ame]

Comment

Aztec Camera (lead singer roddy frame)

[ame= ]YouTube - Aztec Camera - Still On Fire[/ame]

Comment

glad to hear it dolph. I love them too.

Comment

Ha HA!!! ya gorrit!!!

My ex mother in law (so to speak) loves singing all the old Irish folk songs after she'd had a few Guinesses down her throat.!!!!lol

Loch Lomond though?............Great tune!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X