That 11th Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That 11th Day

So today is 11 days without a drink. Last night was tough. The only reason I'm on day 11 is because my husband said that though he wouldn't leave me, I would have to get better somewhere else if I continued to drink. I alternate between days of feeling grateful to him for being strong enough to say that and frustrated because he backed me into a corner. I'm not really feeling committed but more in limbo. But yet I hold out hope that if I just keep adding AF days, I will slowly come to the conclusion that I want this. On an intellectual level, I certainly know that I need this. But emotionally I'm not there yet. I occupy a mental space where I rationalize that eventually I'll have a drink again. But I don't have to drink today or tomorrow. And those add up. It's funny how if I maintain openness and honestly with my husband, my brain accepts that I won't be drinking. But as soon as I follow a drinking thought a little too far, I alienate him and focus only on how I can convince him that I've come to terms with alcohol and can manage it. Luckily, that didn't work last night. I said I wanted a glass of wine and he said he wasn't comfortable with that but offered to talk me through anything I was feeling. Oh, and he is not drinking at all to support me through these early days. I am truly lucky. And he allows for me to think that someday maybe I'll manage it. I have no idea if he actually believes that but he's so patient and knows that I'll go through all sorts of mental games with myself but will continue to grow and possibly outgrow those games. Someday I hope to get to a point where alcohol is trivial to my life.

I think my biggest issue is restlessness. When I don't drink, I have a running commentary going constantly. I can't sit still. Lists of things to do run on and on. We had friends over last night and I must have fed them half of the contents of our fridge because I couldn't sit and just listen to conversation. Not to mention join in. I don't know how to give of myself in social interractions. I make occasional jokes. I do the crossword puzzle while they discuss politics and religion. These things don't matter to me yet. Because alcohol is still important to me. It's not even that I'm thinking of that so much as my brain can't just let go and enjoy the present.

But honestly, these 11 days haven't been that difficult. I woke up last night with the thought that I was going to be sick this morning. Then i realized I hadn't drank last night and that I would feel good. That was such a relief. Maybe it's more psychological that quitting is tough? Maybe I live in the future of wanting to drink rather than in the present of feeling good?

I read a great book called Awakening The Buddha Within. The author has a good mix of personal experiences plus well crafted tools for obtaining peace that have been tried and tested for thousands of years. A spiritual practice is really important for me to adopt right now. Not just stand on the sidelines and hope that inspiration will strike. But do the real work. Peace doesn't happen because you want it. But that's what I like so much about Buddhism. It gives you real tools to change. I had a terrible experience with religion as a child. Please don't anyone who has faith in God take offense. Sometimes I would kill to have faith in God. But I lived in so much fear of my zealous father that God never even entered my head as real. I think parents who want their children to develop faith should be loving and supportive in order to give children the space and comfort level to be open to possibilities they can't see or experience. Militant, pound the fear of God into you, hell fire methods do not work. I developed a manipulative survival streak, just trying to hide any idea of who I was from my father. Any individualism at all would be crushed as a threat to faith. Anyway, sorry to go on a ramble about the past. My father had his own experiences that made him act that way and I try to feel empathy for him. He thought he was saving us from hell. That's a big incentive for a parent. But unfortunately, this manipulative survival streak has followed me into my relationship with alcohol. I work hard to hide how much it matters to me and to protect my ability to continue to drink.

This post doesn't contain very much in the way of positive and I'm sorry for that. I'm actually feeling quite happy this moment. I reviewed my motivations for posting this because I don't want to take up others' time with selfish words that I've only written because I want to be heard. But I also need help and that is what this place if for, right? To support each other. I read posts of others and rarely put in my two cents because I've had a lifelong conviction that what I say doesn't really matter or help anyone. And I don't mean that in a "pity me" way. What I mean is that I feel badly that I haven't offered more support to others on their threads. You've all been so kind in your replies to mine. I thank you all so much.

Hope you're all having a wonderful Sat!

That 11th Day

Hey girl, It sounds like you're doing great! Hang in there : )
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

That 11th Day

hi there..alwayswishing. thank you for sharing . you are doing a great job just by writing your feelings down keep it up .and great job on 11 days sober it will only get easier as time goes on. and i know what you mean by being around friends its hard. when they are drinking and you are not .and one day you will feel confotble eoungh. to be more open around them.like the saying goes time is all we have . and with that everything will come to you .in time. good luck stay strong
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

That 11th Day

Holy Cow, AW! that was a great post. You are a very insightful person. You are also lucky to have a husband who will be so open and honest and supportive of you. I had a similar religious upbringing, but with a stepmother.

Keep up the good work. I'm following in your footsteps.
        "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." Jane Austen

Comment

That 11th Day

Good to meet you Always. You have done amazing to get to 11 days without totally committing yourself. Don't know if you've had chance to try the hypno cds - they really do help....I'm on day 11 too and they have helped me emotionally....also, why not pop over to the daily thread on monthly abstinence.....lots of discussion each day giving us all something to think about.

Best wishes,

Janicexxx
          AF since 9 May 2012
          Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

That 11th Day

Hi Always..Keep going .you are doing ok. the restlessness is the voice with in ..your /"interior life"
            sorry you have been put off exploring religion/faith etc.

It might be something worth looking at again when you feel emotionally able to explore it.Attitudes have certainly changed in my experience of the catholic church and maybe you can seek out via friends /family how to tentatively research local community churches and what they could bring to your life.
            Good luck and that hubby of yours sounds like a great support.

keep posting.

regards Cassy

Comment

That 11th Day

I don't think you're selfish at all. Your words are thoughtful, and letting go of drinking is hard work, no matter how committed you are. You don't need to justify your posts.

I'm glad that you have a supportive husband.

Initially, I quit when I did to honor a promise made to someone else, but it did become mine after a while. Keep it up, and that will happen for you too. The days will add up and become weeks, then months. You will feel very proud.

As far as socializing, it takes a while to learn to do it without a drink in your hand. I think you are doing well so far. Keep it up--and no more nonsense about selfishness, please.

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

That 11th Day

I read posts of others and rarely put in my two cents because I've had a lifelong conviction that what I say doesn't really matter or help anyone. And I don't mean that in a "pity me" way. What I mean is that I feel badly that I haven't offered more support to others on their threads.
                I have that feeling too about what I say not mattering to anyone. But you'll be able to offer more support later, if you want to. There's no rules here. You're doing just fine now....really! This should be a friendly place to you with no expectations from anyone else but yourself.

Selfish?? I don't even think so. And eleven days is wonderful accomplishment! Congrats EW!
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

That 11th Day

Thanks to all of you! I'm so grateful to live in a time when the internet is mainstream and sites like this exist for immediate help and support. We have so many options now that didn't exist even 15 years ago.

Cassy, I have a dear grandma who is catholic and though I haven't explored her faith as an option, I love the traditions associated with catholicism and the beauty of it. And I see how much peace she gains from her faith and have all the respect in the world for her commitment. I've developed an appreciation for all religions that provide their adherents with the support to live their lives with a larger sense of what life means. I used to be such an angry person who hated religion period. But I no longer see things so shortsightedly. If there is one good thing that alcohol has given me, it is empathy. I now know that every person faces their own battles and I can't judge any person's choices. I've needed empathy so often since alcohol has taken hold of my life and it has forced me to face the fact that I can't do life alone. Not just my struggle with alcohol, but life. I need others. I never wanted that to be the case in the past. It made me feel weak. But those who can truly give and take while maintaining confidence and peace are now my heroes. My grandmother being one of them. She practices right living and right thinking. She doesn't judge. She accepts her circumstances and finds a way to be happy. Nothing in this world is as satisfying as going to her house with it's unique smell of old books and tea, watching an old movie under a cozy blanket and listening to her talk about her life in the 40's, when she and her sisters went to Woolworth's lunch counter for malts. Life seemed simpler then. I know they had problems also but it helps me to gain perspective when I talk to someone who has seen a lot of life and gained wisdom which she doesn't force on anyone but simply imparts through stories and her example.

Abraham Lincoln once said "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion. It couldn't be more simply put and true.

Comment

That 11th Day

Sounds like my story - except the supportive partner part. Very lucky you have that, hold onto it....Keep going, the "drinking debate" goes away after a while and you are able to enjoy your sobriety.

Peace,
                    Deb

Comment

Working...
                    X