Drinking away my symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I don't know why I have forgotten to mention this for oh.... forever! But aside from other reasons I drink, the main one that seems to keep me from stopping seems to be a physical problem. I know, I know but hear me out. When I am not drinking I have this constant feeling of, I guess you would say agida. I get this incredible tension in my shoulders. a tightness in my throat, the feeling that I can't take a deep breath, (not can't breath, almost like a yawn is stuck) and I feel like I drank about 10 pots of coffee and want to jump out of my skin. I have told the docs. One looked at me like I was nuts and said I can't put that in my computer!?! (Go bak to med school stupid and get a F****** pen and paper!) The others said I had anxiety ( I could have told them that I have had panic attacks since I was 5) And yet others said I was depressed, had thyroid problems, I diagnosed myself with ADD. Ok here come the meds. Everything works for a while. (xcept antidepressants, they make me want to drink more) And even if I am not drinking or drinking very little those feelings sooner or later come back and I pick up and don't stop 'till it's gone. By then I am drunk and don't know that I need to stop. I could not drink for moths and this still happens so I know it is not withdrawl. I don't want to be AF I just don't want to be drunk, EVER. I woul like to have a drink sometimes but I hate this feeling all the time and can't find any answers? Anyone else have a new dianosis for me?
    One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

I know that I get the very same symptoms as you do the day after I drink.... Tension in the shoulders, tightness in the throat and difficult breathing. I honestly think it is AL withdrawal.

After a few days of not drinking, everything seems to relax. I have proven this over and over again the last few years. My symptoms are definitely caused by alcohol - or lack thereof....

Comment

I know my tension factor went down considerably after I got passed the withdrawal stage. But I would definately talk with a doctor, and let them know as much aobut what you are going through, and about your Al decisions, as you possibly are comfortable with. My dr. did increase my anti-depressants to help me get passed the withdrawal stage, and did give me some sleep aids, which helped a lot!
      BHOG
      War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

I also think that it is withdrawal, I don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to but if I overdo it, I really suffer the day or two after. Luckily now I recognise it for hangover/withdrawal it isn;t so scary........

Hang in there ...........
        sigpicXXX

Comment

How long can that last though? I mean there were months that I was drinking nothing or VERY little and I still had it. I tried everything from thyroid meds to allergy meds. I was honest with the docs abou drinking and they said nothing about withdrawl.. always have a hard time spelling that.
          One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

Hi TM,
            Have you seen a Psychiatrist? Most primary care doctors cannot properly diagnose more complex issues.

Laura
            ~Laura

Insanity
            : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results................... Albert Einstein

Comment

Yup. Didn't work. I thik he was crazier than me. He had me on so many meds I didn't know weather I was coming or going and when I went back every 2 or three weeks he would aske me if he was the one who started me on 2 of the four meds. I have seen them a couple of times. They always say anxiety or depression. resulting in anti depressants which never work out well for me. This last one did say ADD and those meds helped for a bit but then it came back. ???

Comment

how long were you AF? or how long have your AF stretches been? I do know that it takes a while of you have a serious steady drinking habit. If you have anxiety, alcohol makes it better, but then it also causes some or the anxiety.
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Perhaps another Dr? The first one I went to many years ago was a nut job. The one that I am currently seeing every couple years for a med check is fantastic. I have also had better luck with female doctors.
                  There is a relatively new condition (diagnosed over the past 10 years) called Bipolar II where the sufferer has anxiety and depression and antidepressants work for awhile but then stop, putting the person on an emotional roller coaster. What ends up working best are mood regulation medications. I am not saying this is what you have and I am not a pill pusher but your symptoms/experiences are very similar to mine. HTH's.

Laura
                  ~Laura

Insanity
                  : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results................... Albert Einstein

Comment

Laura is absoultely correct! Find another psychiatrist maybe one that specializes in addiction. There is diagnosis bipolarII that can be connected to medical conditions (hyperthyroid is one!) and can be connected to substance abuse/withdrawl.

Hope that helps....don't you just love an internet diagnosis

Anyway, I hope you find your answer.
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Working...
                    X