Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please bookmark this site if you're a regular

Hi gang.

We seem to have an increasing number of returning members who are Googling this site and clicking on the search engine *advertising* results to get here. The problem with this is it eats into our conservative Google ad budget so we'd like to bring it to everyone's attention. Here's how it works:

We run a Google ad campaign to help people find this forum. It's a huge expense to us but we've found it to be one of the most effective ways to reach those in need of help. Problem is, if you search for My Way Out and click on a resulting advertising link, we have to pay for that click. The ad links are the ones that show up on the right hand side of the page, or at the very top of the search results (typically the ads have a banner behind them.) It really adds up, and it taps out our daily ad budget, which means others who are searching for us may not find the site.

To be clear: clicking on any of the "organic" results--those that are not advertising and found below the first ad--does not cost us anything. We have worked hard to get indexed in Google so those links appear. But Google has also made it somewhat difficult to distinguish between an organic result and an advertising link.

If you are searching for the My Way Out web address with Google, we ask that you are careful to click an organic link, not an advertising link.

I understand that nobody is doing this maliciously--although the software we have in place does help us reduce "click fraud". It is common knowledge that some individuals repeatedly click on the advertising links of competitive sites to wipe out their budget.

Google has made it really easy to find sites with a simple search. But it's problematic for us and many others when ads are used in place of a bookmarks.

Please, if you frequent our forum, bookmark this site. Or if you wish to enter the URL manually, simply type in "www.mywayout.org/community" in your browser.

It'll save us a ton of dough and will help lots of other folks find us.

Thanks much. Happy, safe weekend, everyone.

RJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

will do
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Your request is my command, RJ.

Cindi

ps, I have ALWAYS just typed in the url, but I can type faster than I can click... Unix weenie...
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Great that you posted about that. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, hadn't realized the $$ behind clicks.

I don't keep a bookmark myself (still embarrassed about my 'problem' and afraid to be 'found out'), but I've bookmarked the site's addy in my head and type it into the address line each time.
        AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

I spend my time hoping the kids cant work out what site i am using hence i go through gogle as we share computer.not greatly IT literate but they can tell which sites i have been on an trying to protect my right to access this site without anonymously.

regards Cassy

Comment

yeah and if people don't like to type or remeber all tha internet mumbo jumbo. copy the url save it somewhere (word, notepad) and just paste when needed.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

For anyone wanting to hide your visits here, or anywhere you'd like to keep private ... in Explorer you can delete your history, etc., under the Tools menu, and then choose Internet Options, and from there you will see what to click to delete your history, cookies, etc. I do that every time I'm finished using my browser. (It's also smart to do if you've been on your bank site, credit card site, etc.)
              AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

42cat;291050 wrote: Great that you posted about that. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, hadn't realized the $$ behind clicks.

I don't keep a bookmark myself (still embarrassed about my 'problem' and afraid to be 'found out'), but I've bookmarked the site's addy in my head and type it into the address line each time.
                Yes, I have it bookmarked at home, but when at work I have to google (type in the name to get here)... is that what the problem is?

Sorry in advance if so, Ms. Roberta... I can just visit from home if it's a problem. Thank you for everything

Comment

Shikakai;291098 wrote: Yes, I have it bookmarked at home, but when at work I have to google (type in the name to get here)... is that what the problem is?

Sorry in advance if so, Ms. Roberta... I can just visit from home if it's a problem. Thank you for everything
                  Shikakai, if you type in the full name of the web site *www.mywayout.org* (without the asteriks) on the main line of Internet Explorer (or whichever browser you use) rather than google searching for My Way Out you will never accidentaly do a paid ad click. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly - but if so I want to help. I know what it's like to need and want help here no matter what the time of day, and I'd hate to see you not come here at all from your job - when you can do it without causing an ad click charge.

RJ, thanks as always for providing this great resource! We all appreciate you.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Got it
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

OK, Good to know!
                      Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                      - George Jackson

Comment

RJ,

Had it bookmarked since day 1 in September 2006.

Good to know about these things though.

Neil

Comment

Got it. Thanks

Comment

i've had it bookmarked from the first time i found the site - afraid i wouldn't be able to find it again

Comment

Again

movin up

Comment

Working...
                              X