Topomax,Campral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topomax,Campral

I saw my Doctor 2 days ago. He said all the anti-craving drugs can potentially make a person very sick. Is this true? Have many of you had bad side effects? He would not prescribe it for me, and suggested I try to cut back the drinks from 4 a day to 3 a day on my own and to see how that goes. He recommended little steps at a time.
    It is never to late!

Topomax,Campral

I say get a second opinion. I do not know how much you drink or what your plans are( "mods or AF"). Some doctors are firm believers in the old fashioned way of AA and will power. Others have done enough research and have a vast number of patients who suceed with Campral & Topa-and other meds.

I went to my Dr. yrs ago when Campral first came out & I was his first patient to ask for Campral (he now has a few pts who are on it). He was reluctant. But we both did research together & I went on it. Unfortunately I was not both mentally & emotionally ready to give up the booze 100% & I failed on it. So working with my Dr. again we tried something different. This time HE said he heard that Topamax was something new-he showed me the Lancet study. This was in 2005 and when I got home with the meds I looked it up on the web & found RJ's book. I waited another year to join the MWO community and began my MWO AF journey.

Campral gave me gas. Topa made me a little forgetful (that forgetfulness you get when you're trying to remember something & it's on the tip of your tongue). Other people have gotten other side effects. Each person is different. A good place to look is the Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds thread.

I was so determined to beat this that when I started my journey I made sure I was ready. I was determined to try anything. I wanted my life back. If something didn't work-I was willing to try something else.

In my opinion-I'd get a second opinion & get a doctor who is willing to work with you. Good luck.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Topomax,Campral

Thanks easy reezy senior.
      I am a senior too, and know I have had way to much to drink in my life time!
      HAH... one never gets carded for being to old to drink, but maybe should, ha ha.

Thanks for the sound advice and sharing your experience!! I will follow up
      It is never to late!

Comment

Topomax,Campral

Hi there. I've been on Campral for just over a week. So far it's worked wonderfully. I am taking it in addition to the supplements from MWO's health store. I went to a nurse practitioner who specializes in substance abuse, and she was the one who recommended it--I had never heard of it. She started me off on half the dosage 3 x a day to "ease" my system into it, and after a day or two I wasn't having any bad side effects, so I upped it to the full dosage with no problem. I know others here have reported gas but I haven't experienced that.

I agree with the other poster who suggested a second opinion. I feel very disappointed that the multiple therapists and psychiatrists I've spoken to never suggested this program......all I heard over and over again was GO TO AA. I don't object to AA but I wish that doctors were better educated about the other options out there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. --Jess

Comment

Working...
        X