Facing our stigmas part II The Donald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your personal stigmas regarding alcohol have been anything like mine they will lead us to think and eventually believe that the consumption of alcoholic drinks is necessary to be popular, socially effective, glamorous and confident.

It is of course an illusion crafted by the multi billion dollar marketers that only give a crap about making their stocks go up.

Do you think a guy like Donald Trump has any problems feeling adequate, successful or socially effective?

here is a quote from him:

I learned a lot from my brother Fred's death. He was a great-looking guy. He had the best personality. He had everything. But he had a problem with alcohol and cigarettes. He knew he had the problem, and it's a tough problem to have. He was ten years older than me, and he would always tell me not to drink or smoke. And to this day I've never had a cigarette. I've never had a glass of alcohol. I won't even drink a cup of coffee. I just stay away from those things because he had such a tremendous problem. Fred did me a great favor. It's one of the greatest favors anyone's ever done for me.

I've never understood why people don't go after the alcohol companies like they did the tobacco companies. Alcohol is a much worse problem than cigarettes.

If you don't have an understanding of your opponent, things aren't going to work out very well for you.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Well that's an eye opener. An an huge inspiration. Thanks!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

You sound like Allen Carr! I wholeheartedly agree.

Comment

Wow...at times I wish they would make AL illegal but then I remember drinking vanilla extract and know some of us would find ways around it. It is very difficult to be a recovering alcoholic in today's society.

Comment

it's true DollySunshine, when we are on a destructive bent we will find ways to hurt ourselves for sure. I've recently been able to "let it go" and just stop fighting for this destructive lifestyle I clung to so tightly for so long.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

I think the change finally happened for me when I realized I cannot drink. Period. I was literaly resentful of normal people who could drink socially. I still am at times. So much of society centers on happy hour or Fri/Sat nights that at times I have no clue where I fit in.

Comment

interesting. Dolly, here's the good news: you can fit in anywhere you want. really.
              you and I are not bound by happy hour to be happy. we are free agents of our own imagination.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Absolutely...and I can't believe how clean my house is now. So many things I enjoyed that I lost drinking. Reading, baking and yes even cleaning Thanks for this thread.

Comment

the part that i don't understand is Donald Trump has his own brand of vodka "trump Vodka" - guess he has never had any but is willing to make money off of it - it's not a cheap brand!!! lol

Comment

Challange to you all ...

I think there has never been a better time in history to be a Non Drinker. Lets make a list of all the great new social things to do in the 21st century that really don't have anything to do with drinking! I'll start the list! Lets see how fast we can make a list of 100 things:

1. Starbucks
                    2. Teavana (tea shops)
                    3. Running Clubs
                    4. Extreme Sports (Rock Climbing clubs, etc)
                    5. Golf
                    6. Art Festivals
                    7. Concerts
                    8. Museums
                    9. Mentoring Children

Ok your next .......................
                    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

10..computers(when not drunk)

Comment

Wow, very eye opening indeed. I guess alcohol is simply the device between success and failure. Trump's definately been successful! lol

11) dining out
                        12) movies (I no longer sneak in my beer masked by a coffee cup)
                        13) parades (St. Paddy's coming up)
                        14) malls
                        15) quality time w/family and friends

Love, Me
                        :l
                        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Good ones...I missed out on so many things by getting trashed beforehand.

Comment

16. Scrapbooking
                            17. Cooking
                            18. Napping (the Sunday afternoon kind - not the passed out kind!)
                            19. Gardening
                            20. Rebuilding Cars
                            21. Motercycling! Yes!

Come on ... Think ....
                            AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Great Post D. Love him or hate him, The Donald is a smart cookie.

And think of how much it would suck to be Donalds Trump's brother at the Thanksgiving Table. "Fred, your brother Donald is marrying another super model. Your brother Donald is getting his own TV show. Fred, slow down on the wine please!"
                              where does this go?

Comment

Working...
                              X