Low carb diets and drinking. Links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone mentioned this in a thread the other day (Sorry, I can't find it now!)

Wondering if anyone has more information on this? Beside the fact that it's MUCH easier to get too drunk if you haven't had a carb meal prior!

Sad,

I find it to be exactly the opposite and believe there is evidence to back it up. Low carb diets help eliminate the cravings for alcohol. I'm not a scientist but here's my rudimentary understanding . . .Once its in the body, alcohol is sugar just like pasta, bread, rice, cake, table sugar. The blood levels spike and then drop much more quickly than with protein or fat causing cravings for more of the same. Sugar affects mood as well.

I have been following the South Beach diet and going AF. I initially used Campral for about 45 days and now am just controling with diet and some supplements. I honestly do not crave sugar (even with Girl Scout cookies and now Easter candy around the house) or pasta or alcohol in anyway close to how I used to .

that's my .02 on the subject.
    Member since January 2008
    AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

protein is really good if you know you are going out drinking. or to keep you from craving.

I have a high protein and vegetable diet, some carbs, and whenever I start eating sugar and refined flours, not only do I get bloated, but I want to drink and eat more.

Trix
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

you two are right on the money. Hi carb diets make cravings worse. Lo carb diets control insulin levels and hormones in general and suppress cravings and mood swings.
        Dr Atkins wrote in the 60's that his diet was a blessing for people having trouble with alcohol.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Excellent information!
          Thanks- if you have any articles/other info on this subject, I'd be happy to read.

Comment

Working...
          X