TIBET IN CRISIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIBET IN CRISIS

WW-I understand why you had to create this thread. You wanted to bring attention to the terrible suffering of the Tibetan people and to encourage those that care to investigate the current situation to do so. Also, to provide contacts to those that would like to speak up about this.

The fact that so many world leaders and others are very concerned regarding the events happening in Tibet at present, really speaks to the severity of the problem. I commend you for your honesty and deep devotion to what you believe in, which I know is Peace.
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

just one last word b4 I go.. I love you for this.. WW and all that are concerned....

Namaste...

:bow

Meditation Mama
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Hippie.. love your avatar..
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

T-you

This is a topic that we all should be watching - as we are about to see things start to happen once again that China is so ready and capable of. We will wish we would have stepped in when they have their feet on our soil too - which could happen ....... I am glad you brought it up WW. It is informative and timely. More later..... Liv
          AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

it is so very very very sad..... i pray each nite for an end to the suffering. it is as culmination of all the years of suppression. perhaps a new day dawns and peace may finally come to this land... perhaps
            :welcome:

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Good Morning-

I am just so grateful for this board. This situation has nothing to do with alcohol (or even me personally, some would say), but yesterday I really needed a place to stablilize myself and connect. Once again RJ's MWO, and some dear MWO friends were right there. I've had some rest and feel renewed. I'm going to a meeting tonight which should help clarify matters some. I will share whatever I learn. I am very determined to help, and I'm hoping to get some good ideas about how. I still feel in my heart of hearts that this is a moment of opportuntiy, and yet I also fear the worst.

WW

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Just adding some updates for anyone who's interested:

CALL FOR CALM IN TIBET - US SECRETARY CONDOLEEZZA RICE

Statement by Secretary Condoleezza Rice
                Washington, DC
                March 15, 2008

I am deeply saddened to learn that the turmoil that erupted yesterday in Lhasa following what began as peaceful protests has resulted in the loss of lives, and I am concerned that the violence appears to be continuing. I also am concerned by reports of a sharply increased police and military presence in and around Lhasa. We call on the Chinese government to exercise restraint in dealing with these protests, and we strongly urge all sides to refrain from violence.

President Bush has consistently encouraged the Chinese government to engage in substantive dialogue with the Dalai Lama directly and through his representatives so that long-standing issues with regard to Tibet may be resolved. We urge China to respect the fundamental and universally recognized right of all of its citizens to peacefully express their political and religious views, and we call on China to release monks and others who have been detained solely for the peaceful expression of their views. We also urge China to address policies in Tibetan areas that have created tensions due to their impact on Tibetan religion, culture, and livelihoods.

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Germany Warns China Olympics at Risk
                  The Associated Press

Friday 21 March 2008

Berlin - Germany's foreign minister has warned China that its response to the crisis in Tibet may jeopardize the Summer Olympics in Beijing, a newspaper reported on Friday.

Frank Walter Steinmeier criticized the Chinese government's lack of transparency in the ongoing conflict, according to an interview with the newspaper Bild that will appear in Saturday's edition.

"This much is clear: the Olympic games don't work like they did 80 years ago," Steinmeier said according to an advance copy of the article made available by Bild Friday.

"You can't just host glamorous events for television while things are going topsy-turvy in your own backyard. The host has to allow thousands of journalists into the country - you won't be able to sweep anything under the rug."

Tibetan exile groups say 99 people have been killed in a Chinese crackdown on protests against its rule of Tibet over the last few weeks. The protests began in Tibet and spread to other parts of China. Chinese officials say 16 have died.

Casualty figures and details about the protests and China's response have proven difficult to confirm because China is tightly controlling the information and keeping out all foreign journalists.

"The German federal government is saying to the Chinese government: be transparent!" the newspaper quoted him as saying. "We want to know exactly what is going on in Tibet. China is only hurting itself when it prevents outside observers from getting a sense of what the situation is."

On Thursday, the last two remaining foreign journalists in Tibet - Georg Blume of Germany and Kristin Kupfer of Austria - were forced to leave the capital, Lhasa, according to Reporters Without Borders. Earlier this week, Economist correspondent James Miles and a group of 15 Hong Kong reporters were forced out.

Steinmeier also warned China to avoid any violent measures in its standoff with Tibetan protesters.

"A solution can only be found through dialogue," Bild quoted him as saying. "The Tibetans want to preserve their culture, China wants political stability - with that in mind, the two sides need to approach one another."

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Thanks WW

Thanks for the information update WW - I know there are quite a few people interested in information about this just by the "views" on the post - so keep the information coming as you can post it. I find as I have become sober - the things I was passionate about before this beast took up residence in my brain - have come back to me .... so these boards are a great place for all of us to start exercising our "selfless" sides once again - as the alcohol makes us into very selfish people. This is great way to start reaching back into the world.
                    Love to you
                    Liv
                    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

TIBET IN CRISIS

Saturday ? March 22 ? 2008

China to Canada: Butt out
                      Envoy cautions Ottawa against 'irresponsible' reaction to Tibetan riots

Glen McGregor
                      Ottawa Citizen; Canwest News Service

Saturday, March 22, 2008

CREDIT: MANPREET ROMANA/AFP/Getty Images
                      Tibetan activists in exile shout slogans as they take part in a protest in New Delhi on March 21, 2008. US House of representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi made the first high-level official visit to Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama following a wave of unrest in Tibet. 'Today we are here at a sad time to join you in shedding the bright light of truth on what is happening in Tibet,' Pelosi told Tibetan leaders in the northern hill town of Dharamsala, the base of the exiled spiritual leader.

OTTAWA - China's ambassador to Canada is warning the Harper government against interfering in Chinese affairs with "irresponsible" statements about the unrest in Tibet.

Ambassador Lu Shumin said recent remarks from Canadian officials fail to recognize that China is attempting to restore safety and security in the face of "violent crimes" by separatists in the Tibetan capital city of Lhasa.

"These irresponsible remarks will not do any good to the image of Canada for a champion of law and order," Lu said Friday.

He also referred to Canada's own experience with Quebec nationalism.

"Here, you people also have the challenge of separatist forces. You don't want the country to be split. It's the same thing in China, too."

But he said any mischaracterization of the Chinese government response to the Tibetan situation "would be inappropriate and be considered as interference with China's internal affairs. It would also send wrong messages to Tibetan separatist forces and encourage their separatist activities and violence," Lu warned.

His comments came a day after Prime Minister Stephen Harper called on China to "fully respect human rights and peaceful protest" and "show restraint" in Tibet. Harper released his statement through Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre at a pro-Tibet rally on Parliament Hill on Thursday. Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier later called on China to begin talks with Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.

China is facing mounting international condemnation of its crackdown against anti-government protests in Tibet and elsewhere. Clashes between demonstrators and Chinese authorities have turned violent, and estimates have put the death toll as high as 100. China's state media say 19 have died. There also been widespread reports of arrests and detentions.

Chinese security forces have moved to curb sympathetic demonstrations in Yunnan, Gansu and Sichuan provinces, all of which have significant Tibetan populations. Chinese embassies around the world also have been targets of demonstrations.

Calls for restraint in Tibet from foreign governments irk China, which considers the matter internal. China contends the demonstrations are criminal acts designed by Tibetan separatists to exploit the upcoming Beijing Olympic Games for political advantage.

"These are not peaceful demonstrations," Lu said.

"They are highly violent crime, involving beating, looting, arson, smashing up property and causing serious disruptions."

The protests have inflicted "heavy losses of life and property," he said.

Lu repeated Chinese government assertions that the demonstrations in Tibet are co-ordinated by the "clique" of the Dalai Lama, who has threatened to resign his position if the violence in Tibet does not end.

Bernier's call for meetings with the Dalai Lama are also sure to annoy the Chinese government. It considers the Buddhist monk a separatist agitator and "splittist" whose public meetings with western leaders -- Harper among them -- it views as provocation.

"It's not a matter of human rights or expression of political views in a peaceful manner," Lu said.

"This is a political scheme aimed at splitting China and achieving the so-called Tibetan independence."

Beijing contends that Tibet is an inalienable part of China. The Communist Chinese government occupied Tibet in 1950, but the region first became a part of China during the Yuan dynasty of the 13th century, Lu said.

Harper inflamed Canada's already ailing relations with China last year when he received the Dalai Lama in his office on Parliament Hill, a move China considered offensive.

Harper has vowed he won't let economic interests dictate Canada's policies on human rights in China. Some observers believe China's refusal to designate Canada a government-approved tourist destination is a consequence of the flagging relations.

? The Edmonton Journal 2008

Copyright ? 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest

Comparing Quebec to Tibet is more than bizarre.......

m. xx
                      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                      I am in the next seat.
                      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Working...
                      X