inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inspiration

On Monday (my Day 1) I woke up early and found this in my Inbox -- it seemed like a sign. Thought others might find it inspiring too.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...07450469&hl=en

Its a lecture given on Oprah by a professor who is dying of pancreatic cancer, on how to achieve your dreams. Pretty intense and awe inspiring.

I especially liked when he said brick walls are not there to block a person, but as an inspiration to break through (he said it more poetically). That's how I want to view my addiction.

Carpe Diem!

inspiration

nice! thanks Spottydingo
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

inspiration

I Spotty, I saw the entire lecture and the clips about his life. This man is an inspiration. So young, so accomplished with a beautiful family and so much to live for. This man could be bitter and angry, he could be drinking, but instead, ever the teacher, he is teaching people how to live their own lives to the fullest, every day, for however long we might have to live. He is truly a remarkable man, one we can all learn from.

Thank you for bringing that clip here!
      KateH
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

inspiration

I saw that show when he was on and I was beyond amazed at him. What a true inspiration that we can all learn from.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

inspiration

"This man could be bitter and angry, he could be drinking, but instead, ever the teacher, he is teaching people how to live their own lives to the fullest, every day, for however long we might have to live. He is truly a remarkable man, one we can all learn from."

I know! I agree! And, as he said he can't choose to not die, but he can choose to live every day to the fullest. That hit me hard ... got me thinking about how I "choose" to spend my days ... after all (difficult as it it) drinking is a CHOICE.

I'm glad other people appreciated it.

Comment

inspiration

Yes, Spotty.......Our Choices, Create Our Lives.....of this I am certain. I am so happy to have made the Choice to be a non-drinker and it gets better every day!

XX Kate

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

inspiration

Excellent video clip

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful clip. Wow
              Gail

Comment

inspiration

This guy lives in Pittsburgh so we hear about him all the time. He is very inspirational! Thanks for posting that Spotty so other people can see what I've already seen and appreciated.
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

inspiration

Noelle, after this was posted yesterday, I did some searching and did not find anything new. Though I found his personal website amazing and inspirational. What have you heard of late???

Thanks,
                  Kate

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

inspiration

Well, actually he's been pretty quiet lately. I would think he's not doing too well at this point. I'm afraid the next time I hear anything, it will be about his passing.
                    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

inspiration

Thank you for sharing this! It really puts my own problems in perspective. And highlights how important it is to choose to enjoy the present. He's truly living the Zen quote "I know I'm going to die, so how do I want to live?" I only hope that I can face death, whenever it comes, with as much nobility and generosity of spirit as he is.

Comment

inspiration

Oh wahhhh wahhhh wahhh. I cried through the whole thing. I know the things I do put me at serious risk. Yet I have not been able to stop. I pay people to help me. But I continue. I guess it will be topa or antabuse for me. I thought I was a strong person, but apparently not. It's tough when you disppoint yourself.
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

inspiration

Greeneyes,

I think your choice to use the tools (topa / antabuse) that are available to you shows that you are strong!

I know I have been very disappointed in myself. But I have come to realize that I am right to be disappointed for what I have done in the past, and also be proud of accomplishing sobriety in the present and future - no matter how we have to do it.

Whether it is with topa / antabuse, old fashioned will power, whatever works! Victory is Victory, doesn't matter how we get there!

Don't be disappointed in yourself! There is always hope!

Big hug to you! :l

:h Best
                          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

inspiration

Spotty, thanks so much for sharing this. I saw the episode, but paid more attention this time. Everyone should watch it!
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

inspiration

Greeneyes, hang in there, you'll make it. In January I went to a healer who told me to stop beating myself up about my drinking. She said we are only given as much as we can deal with at the moment, meaning that maybe I needed to be doing what I was doing to go where I was going. Of course I didn't want to hear that as I just want to be better (like right now), but its perhaps healthier to accept that sobriety is a journey with sidetracks and stops along the way. I'm on my first serious quit, 5 days. Hubby has tomorrow off so tonight is like Friday night and I'm terrified. Then there's Saturday, then Sunday. I can accept there will be times I have to start over, but I don't want it to be soon.

Someone on here had a great signature quote, something like:
                              "I haven't failed 1000 times, I've found 1000 things that don't work"

Its a growing process. All you can do is keep trying!!!!!!

My thoughts go out to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X