Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you 'Time out'

Life after alcohol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While attending marriage counseling last year with my wife it was quickly revealed that alcohol was effecting our marriage. Go figure! And I thought I was the master of deception: I wouldn't be drunk until my wife went to bed and there weren't too many occasions where I passed out during the day on the weekend. I guess I should've remembered the time when I woke up at 7 PM on a Sunday and started to get ready for work thinking it was 7 AM on Monday. More sadly was having my young kids see me passed out on the couch. There were clearly more problems than I had thought. Back to the purpose of the post.....During one of our sessions, the counselor, who was a recovering alocoholic herself, urged me to go to AA. I chose a different recovery path, but I remember her telling me that there was life after alcohol. At the time, this was contrary to everything I believed. My life revolved around alcohol and I was an advocate for renaming beer and wine to "fun" and "more fun". I could never imagine having fun being sober. Looking back, being sober for me was recovering from hangovers and counting the minutes until my next drink. Now 7 days after being sober with many more lessons to learn, I am begining to see life without alcohol as enjoyable. I'm starting to reconnect with my old self and am enjoying things I used to. My mind and body are on overload trying to find things to occupy them.....healthy endeavors such as reading, jogging, or spending quality time with my family. I now know that she was right and I am more excited than ever to see what more sobriety will bring. I know that I may appear to have a sense of blind optimism after only a week, but I thought that other people who are thinking about quiting should know that there is life after alcohol. I'm committed to continuing this journey and really find a lot of strength in reading all of the information on this website.

Fight on!

Time Out
    All that you know, is what you're able to know!!:applaud:

Thank you 'Time out'

Welcome Scuppy,

Congrats on your 7 days af. It is amazing how clear things are once the "fog" starts to clear. I've been af 44 days and it feels so good to wake up without a hangover. It is a great way to start the day. There is so much to learn from all of the posts and threads here. Read, read, read. If you haven't read RJ's book, it can be downloaded for a reasonable fee. I also find the supplements helpful in refueling a nutrient robbed body. I wish you continued success !!

Miso

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Hey Scuppy!

Sounds a lot like me when I was binging, only stopping to recoup a day (or two max) before the next binge started. Because alcohol deadens are true feeling and emotions when I got sober for the first time in over 10 years back in June I was overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings as they came back to me. My brain was racing ten to the dozen and it was quite frightening at first until I spoke to others who had gone through it. I actually thought I was going mad to begin with as i was that hyper with brain activity. I couldn't even sit still or read a book or type a post and the only thing that worked was getting out in the fresh air on my mountain bike!!.

Good luck with all your endeavours to stay sober and again welcome to the forum!!

Love and Happiness
      Hippie
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Very nice and motivational post Scuppy. Thank you and I wish you continued success for AF Days!
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Thank you my good friends I'm doing just well.

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

keep up with the good work, it worth it .

Miso;294464 wrote: Welcome Scuppy,

Congrats on your 7 days af. It is amazing how clear things are once the "fog" starts to clear. I've been af 44 days and it feels so good to wake up without a hangover. It is a great way to start the day. There is so much to learn from all of the posts and threads here. Read, read, read. If you haven't read RJ's book, it can be downloaded for a reasonable fee. I also find the supplements helpful in refueling a nutrient robbed body. I wish you continued success !!

Miso
            Thank you for your comments

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Scuppy, I understand so well .......

Waking up on sunday evenng and thinking that its work time ........ I thought that only me did that......

The good news is that you can beat it, I havent woke up drunk sunday evening for about 20 months since finding MWO, I still slip, but i'm in a much better place now ......

All the best, BB xx
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Arrrrgh, Me too........I woke up thinking it was morning and
                i actually rang work to tell them I would be late..................., the call thankfully went to the night porter who just laughed and laughed and laughed........ hmmmm. Thanks (not) for the memory - lol.

Lxx
                Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Thank you 'Time out'

Thank you everyone for your support

Comment

Working...
                  X