Strange Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Experience

I had a strange experience last night. I didn't drink for 19 days and did a lot of reading and analysis of how I respond to situations now based on past trauma experiences. I also talked as honestly as I could to my husband about what I was thinking. So Sun night we went out for dinner and with his consent and support, I had two belgian beers. We're both fans and there is really a lot of variety out there. I used to enjoy trying all sorts. Then last night, we decided to split one bottle of red wine. The strange part about both of these nights is that I didn't wake up the next day feeling guilty. I hadn't had too much and I hadn't had it in secret. It was enjoyable, like it used to be. I also had no desire to drink the next day. It was nice but I value the time I have when my mind is clear and I can enjoy the other things in my life. I have no idea at this point what this will mean for the future. Quite possibly I still should not drink and that may be the decision I come to. But I really feel like I'm reframing how I view drinking. It isn't a way to escape stress and anxiety. It's an occasional pleasurable past time. I do know that if I started drinking every day or even every other, I could descend into the abyss again. Alcohol would gain a strong hold again and I would stop thinking about the rest of life. But whatever decision I make, it will be a choice, rather than a reaction.

I take a lot of supplements. I don't take Topa. I think the supplements are helping.

I'm also half way through the book Trauma and Addiction. It seems so clear that those who experience trauma see things in black and white without an ability to modulate emotions based on the actual situation. At least I do. Either I must drink to oblivion or not at all. I must feel intensely or not at all. I don't know how to operate in "normal" life because I didn't learn how. I feel like experiencing situations that allow me to reframe past experiences through new perspectives will teach me that. And every positive experience teaches me that I can do this (whatever it is). Success take the control away from alcohol and gives it back to me.

Another interesting point from the book is that trauma stops you from forming relationship bonds with people, no surprise. But what is interesting is that when you get into a new relationship that offers support (friendship, romantic etc), it opens up emotional pathways that you experienced negatively before. So you think there's something wrong with the current relationship because you're reliving the past and relying on the same information that doesn't necessarily apply to the current relationship. That is something that has always scared me and kept me isolated. But in actuality, the new relationship might be an opportunity to work through the past issues in a healthy supportive environment. This was such a relief to me because this is exactly what's happening with my husband. He's wonderful yet I want to push him away. Being alone is easier. But if I reframe the past abusive relationships in the context of the present supportive one, I can add positive relationship experiences to my emotional vocabulary and learn how to connect.

Hope you're all having a wonderful Thurs! I love how much positivity is here right now!

Strange Experience

Wow! Always, thank you for sharing your insight on trauma and addiction. It is so interesting and I find these points to be extremely valid. In fact, I am going to go and buy this book today. As a trauma survivor.....it has long been my goal to not simply survive, but to thrive. I have worked through years of therapy and much work and have come to realize how much these events did and to a certain point, still do affect me to a certain extent

At this point, drinking is not an option that I care to explore. But, that is my decision, and in no way, should my choices be those that another might choose for themselves. Actually, I must say, that for me, becoming a non-drinker has enriched my life in more ways than I can even say. I seen non-drinking, for me, to be a blessing and not a burden.

Wishing you a Lovely Day,
    XX Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Strange Experience

Hi Kate,

The book is by Tian Dayton. She's a counselor and trauma survivor herself. i know exactly what you mean about not simply surviving but thriving. The book mentions that trauma survivors often have a foreshortened view of their futures. They don't really see themselves having a future. Also that trauma teaches you "learned helplessness". Being so powerless so often during formative years leaves you with no skills for current situations unless you learn them. That was a big insight for me. Being a "deer caught in headlights" in so many situations. You just freeze and can't apply any information about how to handle emotional situations because you didn't learn. You weren't given choices as a child and felt terror and hopelessness.

As for the drinking, I harbor no illusions of being "cured". I think it's likely that drinking should not be a part of my life. But changing my view of it which was that I'm helpless to overcome it feels great. But thank you for your perspective about not drinking being a blessing rather than a burden. I really admire all you've accomplished and that you've made your decision and are happy.

I hope you like the book! If you've read any that have been helpful to you, I'd love it if you could share those. It's so helpful to get others' perspectives. Especially from someone who's further along in this process than I am!

Comment

Strange Experience

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks

Dear Always,
        Thanks you so much for your insight. I am there with you. I have recently gotten married for the first time at age 46....huge adjustment, and it has been hard even though I love my husband.
        We have been thru so much, I keep becoming more and more distant, thru increasing my wine intake, and staying away at our beach house.....leaving him alone a lot.
        2 months we had a huge breakdown/break thru....I knew things had to change....starting with reducing my wine intake. I kept all the emotions and fears inside, then after a few glasses of wine I blasted him...not a pretty scene. I did cut down, started writing down all my issues, and really lots of the emotions was still....coming from past childhood/early adult abuse/disfunction/trama etc. Things are much better.... we are a work in progress. It finally is stinking in he really loves me, won't abuse me or my daughter, and is not leaving....duh...
        However, I still was sneeking wine a couple of times a week... I had to be honest with myself and knew I was still living a lie.
        I decided for me to remove this monkey off my back...Have found this site to be wonderful for me.
        I have been AF 3 days, feel much better about myself. I too want to choose for myself no be "scared of AL controlling me"

I am buying that book today....thanks so much for you sharing and putting into words...what I was thinking...
        I am really looking at all the blessing I have in my life.....a daily list...helping tons for me
        xx Gail

Comment

Strange Experience

Hi Optionsgirl-I'm so glad that things are looking up for you!

Not only do we, or at least speaking for me, push people away but also create situations that mirror the past. If we are used to assuming we'll be abandoned in relationships based on abandonment in the past, we submarine ourselves by forcing things to turn out in ways we are used to. For example, I drink to excess, putting my husband in the position of having to say that I will have to leave our home to get better. I got upset, thinking that this is typical and the abandonment is happening again. But it isn't the same. I have a choice now. Don't abuse alcohol and his love for me will be there. He won't go away. And even beyond that, he will continue to love me whether I drink or not, but he has to protect our relationship from my inability to make good choices. He's giving me the space in which to grow, with healthy limits and lots of support. And I'm finally, slowly reaching out to take the helping hand being offered to me.

It's wonderful that you are able to recognize his love for you and your daughter and to see how much value you bring to the relationship. You're very strong. Seeing growth and possibility through our choices is so motivating, isn't it?

Wishing you all of the best in your journey!

Comment

Strange Experience

Always,
            Good thoughts! I have found, in my limited experience, that not drinking does make it much easier to focus on everything when i am sober, and it was much easier for me to, if you will, come to grips with my childhood after a period of sobriety. (There was a variety of trama when I was growing up.)
            Being sober has also given me a great opportunity to regain the corect relationship with my wife. This was and still continues to be a major benefit to moving back to reality.
            Enjoy your continuing journey of discovery!
            Stay Strong!
            BHOG
            War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Strange Experience

you sound great wishing. your post is great. I am also in the process of reading about healing childhood trauma. this book sounds amazing, eye opening, so is your story.

Trix
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Strange Experience

Some of your post is SO ME!! "Come here, go away, come here, don't get too close, come here, but don't expect anything of me." I've always had a hard time with that. Hate, hate hate it!!!
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
                X