Do u remember ur 1st taste of heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do, I was about 2 or 3, but I remember it vividly! It was brandy and babysham, only a couple of sips from my Mums glass, but it was yum and I remember licking my lips for ages after, gosh it was special and soooooooooooooooo naughty, Granny told me not to tell. Then I delighted in the mini glass of sherry,next to hers, now I felt like a big girl! I loved the calm i felt then, the calm I still feel now,but it now takes 2 bottles 2 get there but my liver hurts, but granny's is ok, thank god

Hi Elsie-
    I think my first taste of alcohol wasn't as enchanting as yours- my parents had a REAL cocktail party in the early 1970s- you know, in the days when Brandy Old-Fashions and Manhattans were the rage? And if you didn't smoke, you were a social outcast....

What I remember: I had to go to bed early because Mom and Dad were having a party, so I was sent to my room right after dinner. Of course, my parents were awake until the wee hours.

When I woke up, I wanted to see if the party was still going on, and I ran downstairs, to be quietly greeted by the aftermath of the party~ overfilled ashtrays, scattered, abandoned drinks throughout our living room and dining room.

My FAVORITE favorite drink was always a "Shirley Temple", complete with 2 or 3 cherries. Well, guess what was left in many of those glasses? You guessed it- pickled cherries.

When my parents came downstairs a couple of hours later, I understand that I was a little loopy, and my mom was horrified that Patty ate ALL of the leftover cherries!!! :H (I don't think I got sick. )

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

I used to occasionally get a teeny sip of wine from Mom or beer from Dad. but the real first stuff was good ole "Boone's Farm" -- truly wretched sweet wine, think they even still sell it in the States? I thought it was heaven
      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

My first taste of 'heaven' was a whisky and lemonade given to me by my dad on Christmas evening aged 8. My dad was a real drinker when he was a seaman in the Merchant Navy but as soon as my older brother was born (14 months prior to me!!) he gave up the Navy and the drinking. He only drank at Xmas, New Year etc so thought giving me a small glass at Xmas would do no harm!!!. I think my dad WAS an alcoholic really but it was something that the family didn't talk about. I'll never know the real truth though as he passed away just over 4 years ago and my close family are very closed when it comes to talking about the past!!!lol

Love and Happiness
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I didn't really like alcohol at all, don't really seem to have a specific moment when I went wow this is great.

the first time I got drunk it was horrible.

then in my late 20's I discovered wine, I couldn't really afford to have a heavy habit until well into my thirties. that is when the heavy drinking started.
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Cheers for the posts,not happy hour-happy life,dexterhead,hippie37 and trixietrack, thanks for the humour! I really appreciate it and having been reading posts, I realise this place can be a really HAPPY lighthearted aid to giving up drinking! thanks again!
            much affection to you all elsie.

Comment

I just know that heaven turned into hell somewhere along the path.

Comment

I don't actually remeber it...but have heard the stories told many times...

When I was about 2 yrs old my Mom & Dad had a New Years Eve party. When people would get up to dance, etc..., they would set down their drinks on the coffee table, which was just at the perfect height for me to grab them.
                Apparently most toddlers would take a sip of booze, make a nasty face & spit out. Not little Judie... I would down it & grab the next one within reach.
                I guess they found me passed out the corner later...

Maybe that's where my tolerance began...I can totally out-drink my Hubby, and he's a foot taller than me. Not to be bragging. Just that he has a few & gets tired & wants to stop or lay down, ...where as I'm just getting started...
                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Oh Saint Jude, you had me laughing! You sound just like me, but I assume you have managed to remain AF? Hoping you are and will tell me how easy it is!?

Comment

No Elsie, definately not easy...

I moderate. Still enjoy my lite beer. But no more hard stuff. My "Evil Twin" comes out when drink hard liquor...NOT pretty! Downright UGLY!!

My Dad always said "Beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone!"
                    Trust me, he's right. When I drink hard liquior...it's ugly!
                    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

:sulk::shocked:

Comment

Working...
                      X