Positive Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive Thinking

I never wanted to quit drinking myself. I always had an excuse or a reason why I should carry on drinking. It wasn't always negative either. I loved partying and being the centre of attention and for me to give that up meant giving up who I was. I also thought I was too old and stuck in my ways (even at 37 years old!!) to make such 'radical' changes at this time in my life. What I realise now is that I was stuck in negative thinking and the alcohol only enhanced those thoughts and ideas I had of myself. My view of the world had always been a negative one as I always see so many injustices and things I don't like happening in the world. It started when I was in my late teens when I became a part of an underground scene here in the UK that believed in many new age concepts and ideas and went against the norm. A lot of which then extended into the Rave culture of today. I was angry and bitter at the world for a long time until recently when after Xmas I realised that the world doesn't revolve around me. Changing things I didn't like could only come with first changing my whole perception of 'where I fit in' in all this. Changing my way of thinking has not been easy but once I have the foundations in place I can use that to change things gradually about myself. I've been having problems recently regarding my health and weight and instead of looking at it as "Shit I need to lose weight!" I look at it more as "I need to eat more healthily". It has a far more positive outlook I think. Likewise with my drinking I don't look at what I'm missing out on NOT drinking anymore I start to look at the benefits of not drinking. Eventually those benefits will far outweigh the loss of any 'image' I had of myself as the life and soul of a party. And, in time, I do feel ME the true person will emerge from all this and move forward.

Have a great week-end all and be positive!!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Positive Thinking

Hiya hip,
    Here`s to us all finding "ME"........an exhilirating trip, if ever there was one........... deeper and deeper into sobriety,

Much love,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Positive Thinking

Hello Hippie
      It sounds like you are starting to listen to the real you... Life is a growing experience even after 30 or 40 ... I'm so glad to hear of you moving forward.. All the best and stay positive xxx

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Positive Thinking

Hey Hippie, Star,

Positive thinking, getting to know self.......yep.....I agree on both counts! I too am on this journey. And yes, it is an exhilirating trip! Now, without drink and the hangover, depression etc. that all goes with it, there is so much time, good time...........to explore, think and LIVE!!

XXX Kate
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Positive Thinking

Nice post Hippie. :thanks:

Star!:h Soo good to see you!

We've got a nice sunny day here...(so far), but the barometer is pointing down...

Was hoping to get my kayak out on the river for a bit today. It's still 44*
          Maybe it'll warm up. "Waiting for the world to change" LOL

[ame= ]YouTube - John Mayer-Waiting On The World To Change[/ame]
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Positive Thinking

Nice thread Hip, thanks for the reminder to think positively through this, was struggling (with the Beast) really hard for a while there but seem to be levelling out a bit now. Onward and upward we go.

Great to see you Star.

Lxx
            Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Positive Thinking

Jude you couldn't of picked a more appropriate tune for this thread and how I used to think. Brilliant tune and lyrics loved it.

Waiting On The World To Change lyrics

Me and all my friends
              We're all misunderstood
              They say we stand for nothing and
              There's no way we ever could

Now we see everything that's going wrong
              With the world and those who lead it
              We just feel like we don't have the means
              To rise above and beat it

So we keep waiting
              Waiting on the world to change
              We keep on waiting

It's hard to beat the system
              When we're standing at a distance
              So we keep waiting

Now if we had the power
              To bring our neighbors home from war
              They would have never missed a Christmas
              No more ribbons on their door
              And when you trust your television
              What you get is what you got
              Cause when they own the information, oh
              They can bend it all they want

That's why we're waiting
              We keep on waiting

It's not that we don't care,
              We just know that the fight ain't fair
              So we keep on waiting

And we're still waiting
              We keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
              One day our generation
              Is gonna rule the population
              So we keep on waiting

We keep on waiting

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
              X