I am an addict...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an addict...

You know... I'm VERY new here.. but one thing I've realised in the recent past is..

I am an addict... My drugs of choice are alcohol, nicotine and caffeine.

Has anyone seen Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew? My son likes to watch it so I watched along.. during my using times. One thing they all said is... they are addicts.. whether it was alcohol, prescription meds, or illegal drugs.. they all call themselves addicts. I think saying I'm an addict is much more descriptive and comfortable to me than saying I'm an alcoloholic (which I am, just I'm also addicted to cigarettes and coffee). I don't think it even matters what I would take/use, if it's addictive, I would probably become addicted to it.

Addict seems like a stronger word, I think it is. I think it also better describes me... even though I haven't used any illegal substances since teenager hood almost. Alcohol has been my main addiction for many, many years and so has nicotine.

Since I have thought of myself this way, it seems easier to realize that whether or not your using.. is irrelevant. An addict is an addict for life. I hope this reality makes a difference in my choices from now on..
    P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
    - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

I am an addict...

welcome palatia. I guess that there are many levels of addiction. one could be mildly addicted or very addicted.

I quit drinking coffee for about 3 months and had no withdrawal symptoms, I also went 15 AF and experienced mood swings and rage.

I guess I am a functioning addict.....
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I am an addict...

Hi Palatia and welcome.
      I agree that we are all addicts, and many of us will remain so `til the end of our days. However, we can still emerge the victor, by doing all in our power to cause the addict within us to lie dormant, by no longer partaking of that to which we are addicted.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I am an addict...

Thank you for the welcome.. and I agree it's possible to live as an addict without using.. For me, it will just help to know I am one.. that I don't want to go back to the alcohol.. The nicotine will have to come after I get through the initial stages of this..

Starlight Impress;296887 wrote: Hi Palatia and welcome.
        I agree that we are all addicts, and many of us will remain so `til the end of our days. However, we can still emerge the victor, by doing all in our power to cause the addict within us to lie dormant, by no longer partaking of that to which we are addicted.

Starlight Impress x

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.

Comment

I am an addict...

One thing at a time Palatia.

I am 7+ mths sober, save for a slip at my 5 mth mark. I have had several attempts at quitting smoking in recent months.......all to no avail, I`m afraid. I really think we ought not to bite off more than we can chew at any one time. I am confident I shall successfully quit smoking in the near future.......it all takes time. I really think it`s more than enough to tackle one addiction at a time, although I`ve read of several members here who quit the drink and fags simultaneously. I guess I`m just not that tough after all !!! lol

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I am an addict...

Palatia ~ welcome.

Yes, I've seen the show. I'm not a faithfull follower of it, but I do watch it when nothing else is on. I really love Dr. Drew. Smart, caring man.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about being addicted to alcohol, nicotine and caffiene. Many people here are for the simple fact that they all trigger each other. They kind of go hand in hand for this little addictive group.

I never smoked, but I found that when my morning coffee kicked in the afternoon jitters, it sent me straight to the beer so I could relax. This was all usually on a empty stomach because the caffiene curbs the appetite. And I think (not from my experieince, but from family memebers) that nicotine does the same. My mother drank and smoked for years, but never wanted one without the other. When she decided to quit smoking she automatically had no desire for alcohol. People were amazed how easily she gave up the two at the same time.

Caffiene and nicotine can definately trigger alcohol. Maybe if you can cut back on just one for a little while, you'll automatically reap the benefits of not wanting another. Just a suggestion. I wouldn't try to quit all at the same time if I were you. I think that would just be too much pressure. But figure out which one(s) is triggering another. What ever the trigger is, start cutting back on that substance first. I hope that makes sense. lol

If you try this, I would love to know how it works out for you.

Best of luck to you. We are here for you.

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

I am an addict...

The deadly sins!!

I posted this recently on another forum where a discussion was taking place about the deadly sins. I think this goes someway to explaining my feelings of being an addict. I did see myself as an alcoholic for a long time until I realized my behavior patterns where more in line with being an addict. I could get myself an addiction to almost anything if my mind allows it. Anyway here's the post below:

The trouble is ? sin is so much more interesting isn't it ?

Now ain't that the truth!! And that's what I 'battle' ( I use that term loosely!) with all the time at the moment. I know I'm doing the right thing by not drinking but the alluring sins are so 'kick ass' that they're difficult to ignore at times. I think most of my adult life I have spent going against the grain and trying to defy those who tell me It SHOULD be done this or that way. I would always support the underdog, I would NOT listen to authoritative figures and it was always going to be MY way or the highway!!. This obviously lead me to believe that my drinking in the past was something I did in order to make it feel right in my own eyes as it went against all the rules of the 'norm' (if that makes any sense!!). Drinking only disguised the real issues by making me think I had a god given right to be angry at the world and drinking made other people see that. You could say I falsely got pleasure out of a misconceived idea that I was making a difference by being angry/bitter at the world around me. I have said this in the past but my liberal/hippie ideals DO make me see things through rose tinted glasses and YES I would like the world to be perfect, who wouldn't!. Trouble is it ain't ever gonna be perfect and there are always going to be imperfections that I cannot change in others. But! I can change in myself. The investment of time and effort to do this is almost like a catch22 in my eyes as trying to overcome the addiction can have me addicted to the actual 'cure' itself. For example I use this forum to help me discover new things about my drinking problems and meet like-minded people but little did I realise that the attraction of the forum would become my new addiction.

As I said vigilance is high on the agenda for me at the moment and being an addict I will always want the quick fix AND the increasing amount of fixes after that. It's just something I am learning to accept about myself and deal with. One drink was never enough! One piece of chocolate is never enough! One hour on the forum is never enough!. Excess in all areas of my life is nothing new to me but becoming aware of the excesses early is now something I am trying to comprehend and do something about. It's not easy breaking the mould I have made for myself though. Years of conditioning has left me feeling like I am trying to learn how to walk again.

Love and Happiness
              Hippie
              xx
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am an addict...

Reason to quit smoking..

My reason for needing to quit smoking is.. I was in the ER a few weeks ago.. thinking I was having a heart attack. They took pictures of my lungs and said I'm.. pre-emphysema.. I can't wait to at least try and quit. It's my health. Good thing though was that they did an ultrasound of my liver and other organs around there and everything was okay..

What a relief! I really was wondering what condition my liver was in.. Now I want to prevent anything from happening.. My motivation is clear.. and strong.

Comment

I am an addict...

Excellent insight Hippie... so what's wrong with being addicted to the forum...?? lol.. I am finding it much easier to deal with this by 'talking' about it in a safe atmosphere.

Comment

I am an addict...

LMAO hip.........God forbid you ever suffice with one measly hour on the forum!!!!

Starlight Impress x

Comment

I am an addict...

On that note I shall take my leave of you all and head to bed in a childish sulk!!lol

You're being rather active with the posts tonight aren't you Star??!!

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am an addict...

Hi Palatia,
                        Welcome to MWO.......I think you will like it hear and I am looking to hearing more of what you have to say. I should also mention that this place is also adictive!!

x Kate
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I am an addict...

MWO is very addictive, I sometimes think that it is not so good to be here all the time. I feel like I could be out and about doing things in the real world.

This is a bit obsessive, not easy to let it go. It's kinda like the local bar. with no booze of course. I don't post drunk.
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I am an addict...

hi there..palatia..wow. i would say you have some really good reason to quit . i guesss you can that was your rock bottom. and all i can say is i wish you the best of luck.
                            stay strong and learn the best way out for you and god bless you on your journey.
                            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I am an addict...

Welcome Palatia!:welcome:
                              MWO can be 'addicting' in a way. I usually enter the site first thing in the a.m. with my coffee and in the early evening around 5:00 p.m. when I used to be opening a bottle of wine!!! The site helps me get by the hard times usually. I can't honestly say it always works, but ......... I'm trying. One day at a time.... That's all we have.
                              Best wishes to you and come back often!
                              Love and Peace
                              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Working...
                              X