Cyber-Stalking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber-Stalking

something you should read....more addictions on the rise...

Cyberstalking

Cyber-Stalking

Thought I'd add some fuel to the fire here Rippy!

This was posted on a forum recently I use as a warning regarding anonymity. I tried this out myself using other members names as well as my own.

Recently one of our members googled his member name and got numerous hits that when clicked on took you direct to the post by that member without any password needed. This is normal. Delphi allows this access as a Guest. Guests can read but not post on the forum. (This is the same for MWO as well!!)

This member made the mistake of using his/her real name as their member name. If you have used your real name or a recognizable name that you feel jeopardizes your anonymity, you might want to think about changing your member name to something else.

You may want to google your member name and see what shows up.!!!

Right I'll put the wooden spoon away now!!!lol

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

So how does one go about changing their profile name?
      Goal 1: Today
      Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

I think it can only be done through contacting RJ. You can't edit your member name through the editing pages of your profile unfortunately. Most forums allow guests. I have done searches myself for things and it has brought up links which takes me to posts on forums. Of course I haven't a clue who the hell the people are who are making these posts. Most people I know DON'T use their real names of even nicknames that people are likely to recognize them by anyway. I don't see it a problem as such but just thought people should be aware that your posts may come up on a google search.

THIS GUY WASN'T SO LUCKY!!!!!
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

poof~

what about this Hippster: What can I do if I am being harassed or stalked on the Net? :thanks:

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

Make sure you do not erase anything!!! Contact your Internet carrier. They can be prosecuted!!!

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

And then we can beat him or her with a wooden spoon.

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

scooped to poop.

yes i save the shit ones to a file for review and share if needed for observation. ya know. i'm not a fan for just mailing someone to bug or fester over dried turds. although when a troll comes along its time for server changes, mail, etc. just clean it all out and start fresh, then spray for left-over bugs! :eeew:

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

OMG!!!

OMG!OMG!OMG!! I just googled my username---there were 24 "hits" with my information!! Mostly from Quitnet.com--a non smoking support group I joined, but there are a couple from here!!!! What do I do? Can I get them off somehow?? Someone please help!!
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

OMG!!! I looked again, there are 1,540 "hits on my username! They are not all me, but every one of my posts from here are on there! There's got to be a way to block this!!!

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

lukalee;297554 wrote: Make sure you do not erase anything!!! Contact your Internet carrier. They can be prosecuted!!!
                      if you can't locate an IP adress you can't locate the person, people who use gmail or yahoo are really hard to find.
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

Wow, I don't know what you can do......that's freaky. Hopefully someone else will come here and help!
                        Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

vettech25;298429 wrote: OMG!!! I looked again, there are 1,540 "hits on my username! They are not all me, but every one of my posts from here are on there! There's got to be a way to block this!!!

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!
                          do people in the real world know who you are and your user name? if it's anonymous don't worry. I suggest that if you join a site like this, don't use your regular e-mail acct. get one with google or yahoo and make up a name.

it is so easy to hack .
                          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

~Yeah trix is offering some sound advise here everyone, so I'll leave it in her capable hands!!

It's nothing major to panic about unless your stupidly using your real name. I wouldn't use my member name from here on say myspace or Youtube or facebook if I didn't want people to know I post on a forum like this.

Comment

Cyber-Stalking

I use this username other places--not youtube--don't do myspace. This is the main reason I haven't told my hubby about this place--he is pretty leary about putting anything private on the Internet. Our son can't even have his picture on his MSN account. I guess I didn't read the fine print...should I have known this could happen? Do you know how I could change my user name here if I decided to?
                              I hope I'm overreacting, but I have a knot is my stomach!! Yeah, I guess it was stupid--not my real name--but close enough for me. The quitnet site is using my username everytime there is an "anniversary" (3 days, 14 days, 30 days......)I guess I need to unjoin that one, I hardly go there anyway. Like it here better. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X