The Financial End Of Booze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still somewhat in shock over this, but earlier tonight I did a comprehensive accounting to see what I've been spending my money on, going back to September 2000. As scary as this sounds, I estimated that I have spent about $25,000 on alcohol during that time period. The return on that brilliant investment = $0. Believe me when I say that this is reason enough to give up this crap for life.

That doesn't surprise me, 5th a day.... if you hold true to your name

Did you count the $$ spent on Excedrin, Alka seltzer?

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Wow that certainly puts things into perspective.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I don't even want to do the calculation!!!!.....Amazing
        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Hmm. I think I've spent a similar amount. Now I'm spending it on ice-cream instead!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Yep. It adds ups, don't it. I've been doing about $500 - $600 bucks a month for almost 20 years. Good thing I don't have to put anyone through college.

Comment

Shit! I am too terrified to even consider doing the math! Oh if I go there I will never return.. arrrrgh!!!

Comment

Wow-

Just did the math. I figure I spent around $8 a day, and this is conservative. Over 7 years that is $17, 836. Holy crap!

I have been drinking many more years than that. My husband, who misses nothing, is used to this kind of cash going out, so he has never really put the whole thing together (regarding how much is actually for booze). Now that I am not drinking, I could bet you a million bucks he is going to notice how much more is ending up in the account at the end of the month.

Hmmm...maybe I should continue to withdraw that much and just go shopping (forget it, he would notice the new clothes...(sigh)...He is sooo damn observant!! :H

Beth
                formerly known as bak310

Comment

That is a lot of cash. pretty amazing . no wonder those liquor companies are able to pay for those fancy advertisements.
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Yep....I'm seeing a BIG difference in my shopping bill each week and my husband is still drinking!! Scary!! Janicexxx
                    AF since 9 May 2012
                    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Yeah, my wife after only 6 weeks AF is already getting a much better understanding of just how *bad* my problem was by all the extra cash in our checking account!
                      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                      Watch this and find out....
                      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Wife and I figured it was (conservative here) about $400-$600 per month. Do you have any idea how much house remodel you can do with that money? Or, how many trips can BHOG make to the very local Home Depot? WOW and wife says, go right ahead and go to Home Depot, at least now we have something to show for the money instead of you drinking and sitting on your.....
                        You get the picture, and it ain't pretty!
                        Enjoy Life!
                        BHOG
                        War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

5thaday;297697 wrote: I'm still somewhat in shock over this, but earlier tonight I did a comprehensive accounting to see what I've been spending my money on, going back to September 2000. As scary as this sounds, I estimated that I have spent about $25,000 on alcohol during that time period. The return on that brilliant investment = $0. Believe me when I say that this is reason enough to give up this crap for life.
                          Holy crap!!!! I know just in the last 3 days of AF (woohoo.. yay me.. ) that I see a difference in my money stash.. what there is of it.. AL ruined me.... financially... and otherwise..

Thanks for that data... holy crap... !
                          P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                          - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

5theday here's a liitle joke I saw regarding the $0 return on booze thought you may find funny!!

It is all in how you look at it. Here's a little retirement information for you: If you had purchased $1,000.00 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago you would have $49.00 left. With Enron, you would have had $16.50 left of the original $1,000.00. With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left. But, if you had purchased $1,000.00 worth of beer one year ago, drank all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have had $214.00. Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle. It's called the 401-Keg.

joking aside I have to agree totally with the financial stress drinking causes. I would surpass paying bills even so I could go out to the pub with the money. "Oh we'll double up next week" became the norm to me until eventually I just stopped paying the bills. I'm still paying for it know even though I'm not with my partner anymore. I could of quite easily just of 'not bothered' and left my ex to fend for herself after I moved out but I know most of our financial worries came from my drinking. Part of the healing process for me is facing up to my responsibilities and so paying off these past debts, no matter how much financial strain they still put on me, is actually helping me psychologically get through this. I may not like it but I know it is the right thing to do so gives me peace of mind.

Love and Happiness
                            Hippie
                            xx
                            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

yup, i see the numbers..

5thAday~thats a lot of money! Love not having to buy anymore all them bottles of wine!

Comment

Working...
                              X