Passed out in AA..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passed out in AA..

I don't want the government taking care of me anymore than they already do. It's my responsibility to take care of myself. If I drink and drive and I get caught, it's my responsibility and although I wouldn't like it, I'd deserve the punishment. If I break any law, I'm the one responsible. No one MADE me do anything. It can't be blamed on the faceless entity of the "government."

I think this is a big problem with our country. It's always someone else's fault. "It's not MY fault I shot my gun and killed that guy." That's not the best way to think....in fact I've always thought that's the lazy way to think. Placing the blame elsewhere is pretty lame, as far as I'm concerned.
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Shik,

I am not talking about feeling "sick".......I am talking about all of the effects. DUI's, depression, lost jobs, family problems, thoughts of suicide, yes, the list goes on and on.

If alcohol were not adversly affecting our lives, we would not be here. Even before your DUI, you spoke of how adversly Alcohol was affecting your life.

I do not need TV to teach me how to live my life.

And yes, I do feel fine now.........I am a non-drinker!
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Noelle;299298 wrote: I don't want the government taking care of me anymore than they already do. It's my responsibility to take care of myself. If I drink and drive and I get caught, it's my responsibility and although I wouldn't like it, I'd deserve the punishment. If I break any law, I'm the one responsible. No one MADE me do anything. It can't be blamed on the faceless entity of the "government."

I think this is a big problem with our country. It's always someone else's fault. "It's not MY fault I shot my gun and killed that guy." That's not the best way to think....in fact I've always thought that's the lazy way to think. Placing the blame elsewhere is pretty lame, as far as I'm concerned.
        Well, it had to start somewhere, Noelle... sure, they have one or two messages against drinking and driving (we all know the law, but broke it-those that did), but if the warnings had been clear in the beginning (why it's bad to drink and the consequences thereof-whether you drank and drove or not), I'm sure things would be very different for many of us.

Everyone who began drinking didn't do it because they were depressed, etc., but because it looked like "fun".

Yea, see how far "fun" has gotten us, huh?

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Noelle;299298 wrote: I don't want the government taking care of me anymore than they already do. It's my responsibility to take care of myself. If I drink and drive and I get caught, it's my responsibility and although I wouldn't like it, I'd deserve the punishment. If I break any law, I'm the one responsible. No one MADE me do anything. It can't be blamed on the faceless entity of the "government."

Shoot! Noelle, we cross posted.......again! I was trying to add your quote to my post and lost the first post! Anyway.........I completely agree with you.

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Passed out in AA..

KateH1;299299 wrote: Shik,

I am not talking about feeling "sick".......I am talking about all of the effects. DUI's, depression, lost jobs, family problems, thoughts of suicide, yes, the list goes on and on.

If alcohol were not adversly affecting our lives, we would not be here. Even before your DUI, you spoke of how adversly Alcohol was affecting your life.

I do not need TV to teach me how to live my life.

And yes, I do feel fine now.........I am a non-drinker!
            But when did it start and how did it start adversely affecting our lives?

As I told you in a PM, I think it would be helpful for us (those that desire to) to return to the beginning of when and why we ever began drinking.

Sure, no one looks at TV and says, "I want to be a drunk", but no one looks at it and thinks the people on TV are drunks.

Tell me now that you've never seen something on TV and not been influenced by it...

Sure, you're not sick anymore, but at one time you were very sick... why?

Comment

Passed out in AA..

All,
              I can remmeber going to an AA Meeting when I had a few drinks. One of my brothers, knew that I was a bit tippsy....He told me that he would drive me home. He did so....I came back the next day and picked up my car. The next meeting he asked me if I was ok...I said yes & thanks....He said " Know thank you for giveing me the oppertunity to help you.....you have made me stronger in my soberatey " IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Passed out in AA..

IAD;299307 wrote: All,
                I can remmeber going to an AA Meeting when I had a few drinks. One of my brothers, knew that I was a bit tippsy....He told me that he would drive me home. He did so....I came back the next day and picked up my car. The next meeting he asked me if I was ok...I said yes & thanks....He said " Know thank you for giveing me the oppertunity to help you.....you have made me stronger in my soberatey " IAD
                I have nothing against AA and am still attending the meetings, but I wonder how many people who are long-term AFers would continue to go if it wasn't in their own self-interest?

That's the one thing that stood out to me from the gate. Same may could be said about this board as well.

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Shik,
                  I'm not too crazy about AA meetings, even though I have a few friends that attend. It is a selfish organization, after all one needs to save themselves before they can take care of others. I could'nt handle all the rules and steps....but I do know quite a few people that support AA and they like it. Thier are a lot of good people that relly want to help you out thier. I still have hope for humanity. IAD
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Passed out in AA..

I am not really sure what I have to add, but I DO know that every shitty choice I have ever made while drunk, was still MY choice...it was MY choice to drink, hence...my responsibility. While I do know I would have never ever chosen to be an alcoholic, I AM an alcoholic. While we as a nation, or human race may not be as informed as to the huge fuck up our lives can become if we abuse alcohol...each person is in turn responsible.
                    That said, had I known 30 years ago what I could become taking that first drink would I have...HELL no.
                    It is a huge catch 22.
                    Do I blame AL for all my problems...HELL yes.
                    Is it now my responsibilty to keep AL from passing my lips...YES.
                    I am not preaching. The best AF stint I have had is 5 days, in 20 years or more.
                    I have been, if not suicidal, definately, not wanting to wake up, and keep on fighting the good fight.
                    I make poor choices, and am not a good parent when I drink. Because of AL.
                    BUT
                    I choose to drink...addicted or no, somewhere, at some point I have to find the balls to say NO FUCKING MORE AL.
                    I haven't found them yet...but I sure hope I do soon. I am getting tired of fighting.
                    Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Passed out in AA..

IAD;299313 wrote: Shik,
                      I'm not too crazy about AA meetings, even though I have a few friends that attend. It is a selfish organization, after all one needs to save themselves before they can take care of others. I could'nt handle all the rules and steps....but I do know quite a few people that support AA and they like it. Thier are a lot of good people that relly want to help you out thier. I still have hope for humanity. IAD
                      Yes, it's the first thing I noticed, IAD... of course, I keep going because I'm too "sick" not to go... some of the steps don't apply to me. Overall, I like it, but seemingly you need to "join" a group to get any real camaraderie going. It's more like a "social" affair in a lot of regards as well.

Comment

Passed out in AA..

keeta;299315 wrote: I am not really sure what I have to add, but I DO know that every shitty choice I have ever made while drunk, was still MY choice...it was MY choice to drink, hence...my responsibility. While I do know I would have never ever chosen to be an alcoholic, I AM an alcoholic. While we as a nation, or human race may not be as informed as to the huge fuck up our lives can become if we abuse alcohol...each person is in turn responsible.
                        That said, had I known 30 years ago what I could become taking that first drink would I have...HELL no.
                        It is a huge catch 22.
                        I am not preaching. The best AF stint I have had is 5 days, in 20 years or more.
                        I have been, if not suicidal, definately, not wanting to wake up, and keep on fighting the good fight.
                        BUT
                        I choose to drink...addicted or no, somewhere, at some point I have to find the balls to say NO FUCKING MORE AL.
                        I haven't found them yet...but I sure hope I do soon. I am getting tired of fighting.
                        But if you had only known the full effect alcohol has on lives. Your life and the lives of others... that's my point.

Look at how it's glamorized and only in the last 20 years, maybe, they want to show unspeakable car crashes.

Show more car crashes instead of people having a good time under the influence...

But that cuts into the bottom line: MONEY!

People make choices based on what they believe something to be. If we believed at the time that we started drinking that alcohol is as detrimental as its proven to be, would you have started drinking? NO! That's my point!

Sure, now that we KNOW, of course we wouldn't! And we do and should take responsibility for our actions, but we should be given an opportunity to make such an important choice such as beginning to drink and knowing the full consequences if we should become alcoholics... AS WE ALL HAVE!

I can't look up now without seeing an entertainer or some other celebrity being hauled into rehab or arrested for a DUI!

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Keeta,

I honor your honesty and your willingness to accept personal responsibility. Please keep fighting and keep working at sobriety.........you will get there!

xxx Kate

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Keeta,
                            Your here because you want help ! There are various ways to get help. Log on to this web-site & read/post. Theirs AA, etc. It's up to you to fiquire out which way you want to go. Thiers all kinds of advertising on this web-site, as well as good advice. Keep tooning in...see what rings your bell.....IAD:welcome:
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Passed out in AA..

keeta;299315 wrote: I am not really sure what I have to add, but I DO know that every shitty choice I have ever made while drunk, was still MY choice...it was MY choice to drink, hence...my responsibility. While I do know I would have never ever chosen to be an alcoholic, I AM an alcoholic. While we as a nation, or human race may not be as informed as to the huge fuck up our lives can become if we abuse alcohol...each person is in turn responsible.
                              It is a huge catch 22.
                              BUT
                              Keeta - you will find your 'balls' to say no to AL, this I know. You are making huge strides, although you may not think you are. You have acknowledged your problem with alcohol, you have accepted responsibility for the 'mistakes' you have made AND you are seeking help - here. I believe for each and everyone of us, getting out our feelings, even in the form on a public website is making huge strides. We all have a problem with AL - so we all understand and hold each other's hands to get us where we want to go. You are well on your way, even if you don't feel you are. :l

Comment

Passed out in AA..

I have nothing against AA and am still attending the meetings, but I wonder how many people who are long-term AFers would continue to go if it wasn't in their own self-interest?

That's the one thing that stood out to me from the gate. Same may could be said about this board as well.
                                I think the word "self-interest" is the wrong way to say it. The way you say it, it sounds selfish. I've met a LOT of people in AA who've been going for over 20 years and I don't think it's because of self-interest. It's because AA helps them stay AF. Are you talking about people who have been court ordered to go to AA? That's very different in my opinion. And I think there are very few people at MWO who are here for their own self-interest, especially by your definition. I honestly don't think they're here for any other reason than getting help and helping others while they do it.
                                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
                                X