Passed out in AA..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passed out in AA..

Keeta, I'm so glad to see you here tonight! I hope you're feeling a lot better. :h
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Noelle;299334 wrote: I think the word "self-interest" is the wrong way to say it. The way you say it, it sounds selfish. I've met a LOT of people in AA who've been going for over 20 years and I don't think it's because of self-interest. It's because AA helps them stay AF. Are you talking about people who have been court ordered to go to AA? That's very different in my opinion. And I think there are very few people at MWO who are here for their own self-interest, especially by your definition. I honestly don't think they're here for any other reason than getting help and helping others while they do it.
      You know, it wasn't until I started going to AA that the "self-interest" about MWO occured to me.

Not saying there's anything wrong with self-interest, per se, but if you listen to some of the members at the AA members, they make it clear that if it wasn't fundamental to their own sobriety to help others, they wouldn't be there.

I just wonder about people here that are long-term AFers... again, it's not a criticism, but an observation.

I don't know if the folks at AA are court-ordered or not... I can't tell. If they are long-term, probably not.

My time is UP at the office. On my way home. I'll see you'll this evening

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Shik,
        IMO, to go back and try to remember why I took my first drink is not even relevant today. To spend my time and energy thinking about who is selfish for being here or going to AA, serves no helpful purpose whatsoever. Except to possibly come up with excuses to continue to drink. I am not looking for such excuses as many here are not looking for excuses.

The real key to getting sober, is to start with today, take personally responsibility, no excuses, no blame just make a plan, committ, get off the pity pot and work at it! Just do it! Or not!

I get tired of constantly hearing who's fault, it is today, for our choices. I cannot see any positive purpose this serves. In fact, I find this way of thinking to be extremely counter productive.
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Passed out in AA..

I completely agree with you Kate. It is our OWN personal responsibility to get our shit together and work at it.

I don't understand the concept behind who is a long term AF'er here/AA or not in order to make a decision to become sober, Shikakai. There are all types of drinkers here. There are a few long term AF'ers, and you could be one of those people. You only have to commit and start today. If that is your ultimate goal.

Comment

Passed out in AA..

I'm sober because I want to be. I know there are many avenues for help I could have chosen and did try. The one that worked was MWO.
            Marcie

Comment

Passed out in AA..

All....!
              The main point here is...what ever works is fine. Their are all kinds of people in this world. Some are "A" personalities, others "B", I think that once you become sober you trully shine according to your personality, Some people lead through thier own actions, others like to preach. One man that I really look up to....hardly ever talks. But his actions speak louder than words ! IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Shik, I didn't realize you were going to AA, but what exactly are you saying about long term AF members of MWO? I didn't quite understand the point of your last post.
                Marcie

Comment

Passed out in AA..

I was wondering the same thing, Shik.....about the long term AFers....I'm not sure if I qualify as a long term AFer with 230 days, but, for me, I feel the ability to come on MWO and maybe help someone I can only adds to my own resolve to stay sober.....it's a win-win situation....I help you...you help me...

Don

Comment

Passed out in AA..

The government in the United States is based on the people. If something is happening that we do not like it is because we are apathetic. Many changes in the alcohol advertisement industry has occured in the last ten years. The reason for this is because people have stood up for what they believe in and made those changes. You cannot blame the government without blaming yourself. If one is unhappy with what it happening, then stand up and make a change.
                    Goal 1: Today
                    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Passed out in AA..

KateH1;299349 wrote: Shik,
                      IMO, to go back and try to remember why I took my first drink is not even relevant today. To spend my time and energy thinking about who is selfish for being here or going to AA, serves no helpful purpose whatsoever. Except to possibly come up with excuses to continue to drink. I am not looking for such excuses as many here are not looking for excuses.

The real key to getting sober, is to start with today, take personally responsibility, no excuses, no blame just make a plan, committ, get off the pity pot and work at it! Just do it! Or not!

I get tired of constantly hearing who's fault, it is today, for our choices. I cannot see any positive purpose this serves. In fact, I find this way of thinking to be extremely counter productive.
                      LOL!

I know, Kate... I don't know why I'm b**ching and moaning about this, but it has been on my mind for some time.

Marcie, I didn't have the thoughts of self-interest until I started the AA meetings. It just occurred to me that perhaps the long-termers are here for the same reason.

However, considering the effects of alcohol and how the "pull" is always there, even for people who have been sober for 30 years, if there ever is a time to validate one's self-interest, THIS IS IT! Who can criticize someone for endorsing their own self-interests when it comes to this disease? No one... again, it was just an observation.

Tomorrow is my hearing. Please wish me the best... I'll talk to you soon and let you know how it goes.

Late :h:thanks:

Comment

Passed out in AA..

lukalee;299365 wrote: The government in the United States is based on the people. If something is happening that we do not like it is because we are apathetic. Many changes in the alcohol advertisement industry has occured in the last ten years. The reason for this is because people have stood up for what they believe in and made those changes. You cannot blame the government without blaming yourself. If one is unhappy with what it happening, then stand up and make a change.
                        Right... right... that's a relief, Lucka... at least they have made changes. I don't see them, but I was very young 10-15 years ago when changes were made and I was having the TIME OF MY LIFE swiggin'!

Man, what a fool I was...

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Chief;299363 wrote: I was wondering the same thing, Shik.....about the long term AFers....I'm not sure if I qualify as a long term AFer with 230 days, but, for me, I feel the ability to come on MWO and maybe help someone I can only adds to my own resolve to stay sober.....it's a win-win situation....I help you...you help me...

Don
                          Precisely, Don...

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Just a thought about the "self-serving" thing. If one is helping themselves while helping others, it is a Win Win, proposition for everyone!

If one hurts or is hurting others, while helping themselves, there is a problem!

I am grateful to the long termers here. They add so much depth to my understanding.
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Passed out in AA..

Chief;299363 wrote: I was wondering the same thing, Shik.....about the long term AFers....I'm not sure if I qualify as a long term AFer with 230 days, but, for me, I feel the ability to come on MWO and maybe help someone I can only adds to my own resolve to stay sober.....it's a win-win situation....I help you...you help me...

Don
                              Yep - I completely agree, Don! There is nothing like helping someone to keep your resolve. I love what you said.

Comment

Passed out in AA..

hi guys...not relavent to this post...but I just wanted to say thank you for all the awesome supportive things people said to me...I am not doing great..BUT I am hanging in...sorry Shik...not hi-jacking...just wanted to say thank you to those who had supportive things to say to me in the midst of this post...
                                Love you all...I really do...this is my rock...touch stone...thank you for being here,
                                Kim
                                Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
                                X