Alcohol and Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and Addiction

Wow Aquamarine, you actually made me slow down and think. I started drinking in the late 60s. My parents either were going to a cocktail party or having one on the weekends. I don't remember anyone ever acting like they were drunk, merely a little happier than usual. I liked my parents that way, they were more fun to be around.

I always knew, from my mother, that drinking a lot was not "a good thing." But that was it. No watch out, you'll end up like your grandfather (who I only met once at a very young age) and was said to be an "alcoholic," whatever that meant at the time to me.

My high school boyfriend got a hold of some beer and I had one that lasted all evening. I remember that very clearly for some reason, and it tasted bad. After that, in college and beyond, I drank some when other people I was with did. No big deal. Then I started getting really bad anxiety attacks at work. One day I came home from a really bad day at work and a friend made me a hot toddy (whiskey, sugar, hot water) and magically, the anxiety was gone. I've never forgotten that! Such relief. So on it went and the more I drank.

Opps, almost turned into "My Story." Sorry. So no, no one ever told me about what would happen. Even if they had, I very much doubt it would've stopped me. Commercials on TV or in magazines never affected me. It's all been my responsibility.....mine alone. Hanging around people who drank didn't help, but again, they didn't "force" me to drink.

Thanks for reading this and your question really brought up some memories. I think the memories are a "good thing."
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Great subject! And several interesting points to make. Today is day 3 AF for me. I have been here many times before but look ahead - with determination. My goal is to arrive at Lenair at least 2 weeks AF. :wd:

I wonder, when thinking about the relationship with alcohol, knowing that it is dysfunctional, harmful, health-destroying and yet we continue--- if after becoming AF, will
      we recognize those other relationships in our lives that are equally dysfunctional in a different way, and take action to rid them from our lives? :scratchinhead:

:h Best
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

I think so best. when you are no longer bogged down and feeling low, you will find that you will be able to tell the difference if something is good for you or healthy for you .

like I said before, self esteem seems to have a lot to do with why some people are more prone to drug and alcohol abuse. as well as negative experiences and relationships.

TRix
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

It's funny, but I have an aunt and uncle who both warned me about how physically addictive alcohol can be, I watched my grandfather drink himself to death, and I read numerous pamphlets from drug/alcohol education agencies indicating that alcohol is addictive, YET, I still brushed it all aside and drank. I convinced myself that I enjoyed it and could stop when I wanted . . . until I tried and realized I couldn't.

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Excellent thread... I've read everyone's comments. I think alcoholism is mostly in the genes, don't you? Even I knew there was a disposition there for me because of some of my family members, mostly on my mother's side. My parents both drank, sometimes to extreme. Both were professionals but eventually it started affecting them all the way around. I remember drinking bottles of wine with my mother when I was in my 20's.. we were like best buddies. Wow...

They quit drinking (mostly) in their mid forties (about what I am). But you're right, no one in the schools or otherwise connected drinking to addition when discussing it.

To Bestlife: I think we do start to recognize other 'bad' things for us intuitively.. I have been pursuing insurance jobs of late, but yesterday, my Day 6, I realized that it wasn't feeling 'right' to me. I cancelled all those interviews for this week because I didn't want to waste mine or anyone else's time and instead am pursuing a job I'm really excited about!! Yesterday, I felt like my intuition was kicking in again... Today is Day 7!!!! :happy:
            P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
            - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

How odd you introduce this topic today...

I tried two times to talk about this (yesterday in fact), but some people were against the discussion.

Thank you very much for introducting this, Aqua.

I'm glad I'm not alone...

Can't wait to read the responses.

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Shik, this is not even close to yesterday's discussion.
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

well...

I certainly know that I CANNOT blame my troubles with alcohol based on any lack of knowledge about its potential harm. I don't have problem drinkers, for the most part, in my family, and I am sure the potential for harm wasn't taught to me as much as other drugs, but I knew it could be bad. I certainly knew there were "alcoholics", even if my idea of them were bums in the street. But the truth is, I am quite sure I was born with a pre-disposition towards addiction, and it was gonna find one form or another to express itself. After all, I started with an eating disorder, which gave way and kinda morphed into an alcohol addiction. Heck, if it weren't alcohol, maybe it would have been gambling, or shopping, or pain killers...who knows. But, I am sure that a predisposition, coupled with the opportunity (hence, why it probably wasn't harder drugs or pain killers), and maybe throw in some psychological factors (low self-esteem? anxiety? I don't know I am only a psychologist) led to my issues with alcohol.

So, although NO QUESTION education is important, maybe the education should be more about understanding the underpinnings of addiction, and the signs of addiction, and not just about the "dirty, risky" substances out there.

Just my thoughts

Beth
                  formerly known as bak310

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Beth,
                    I think you bring up some excellent points. I also think addiction has a lot to do with self esteem, and personality, not to mention peer pressure. Education has been prevelant in schools for the past 20 years, and yet college kids are drinking more today than at any other time......why is this?

I think it is because people, look for an escape from the day to day issues and even boredom. When this is done for a period of time our of habit and to excess, we do in fact change our brain chemistry. People self medicate with food, to the point of morbid obesity, which had also reached epidemic rates in this country and is now escalating in Europe. Remember when a group tried to sue McDonalds for making them fat!!!

The bottom line is that we are here to learn how to live sober lives. We can only do this by taking personal responsibilty and starting today to recondition our minds and bodies to live sober. This begins with taking personal responsibility and action.

And, I agree with Noelle, this is not at all the same as the discussion from last night!

Kate
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Beck, I agree with you....
                      I didn't know that an alcoholic can have a career, money, spouse, children and seem to hold it all togehter...for a time at least.
                      So when I began slipping into AL dependency I was very functional and did not believe I was dependent, just thought I made bad AL choices - had bad habits. I didn't recognize my own alcholism until it had spun way out of control. Drinking to excess every time I drank - which was nearly every day.
                      When my grandma would stay at our house (for about 2 months a year), my mom would take inventory of all of the liquour bottles, marking the levels to see how much her mom was drinking every night. I remember her saying with conviction,
                      ["I will NEVER be like her!"
                      She was. And yes, as an adult, I said the same thing.
                      But I am like my mom. And my grandma. :threesome:

So genetically, I have to acknowledge that we share the addiction. Yet I'm also fortunate to also inherit her strength. Her sense of compassion and fairness. Her eyes. :heart:

Has anyone else read Susan Powter's book from the late 1990s, titled, "Sober, and Staying that Way"? WIth the help of a doctor, Powter addresses the biochemistry of alcohol addiction, and the power of proper nutrition and exercise to combat the addiction..... I highly recommend this book.
                      There's also a section about the big companies and the powerful lobbyists in Washington, which I skimmed over because I wanted to get ME better, not the politicial system.... she probably had some very good points~ the book critics called her paranoid about big government, but maybe she was on to something? I'll have to go back and read them.....

Good thread, Aqua.:cents

Patty
                      Tampa, FL

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Lucy- That is exactly the point I was trying to make, or question people about- simply put the basic underpinnings of addiction specifically in regards to alcohol and how in my experiance I think it is misunderstood with many people until they are in the grips of it.
                        It is just a piece of the picture, just one piece that I find interesting. I am seperating this from indulging in a behavior even though you clearly know it is detrimental for many other reasons. Just for the record because I feel so strongly about this ,I don't bring the subject of addiction up as a way to blame anyone else for my behavior or to take the responsibility off of myself. I take total responsibility for continuing a behavior that I knew was not healthy, hands down. It really is many times a lazy, self indulgent habit , and I knew better.
                        But when that wrench , of addiction, gets thrown in there that maybe just that specific thing you weren't too knowlegeable about how it could come into play , it adds a dimension to the problem that I personally wasn't fully aware of. It doesn't change the direction we need to take to get better, or the fact you need to focus on the future and maybe not look back , but I find it interesting. Thanks Everyone, Aquamarine
                        NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                        AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

Aqua, I did not see you as attempting to "place blame" at all. In fact I find your thought process, quite intriquing! I think many of us wonder, is it DNA, conditioning, an allergy, etc? I honestly do not think there are any cut and clear answers. I often wonder, when did I cross the line, from a "normal drinker" to and "alcoholic type drinker?" How and why did that happen?

But, I also agree that at times, most times, it is a lazy, self indulgent habbit. One I do not care to re-visit!

Thank you for this discussion!
                          Kate
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

:hTrix.....
                            your two posts that suggest you think self esteem, or lack of it, can contribute to alcohol abuse are screaming to me.
                            I know I have major major...did I say major???,self esteem issues.
                            This is a great thread, I have enjoyed reading, and just wanted to pipe in and say I think, atleast for me...you have touched on some thing there.
                            My parents didn't drink...so I wasn't exposed positively or negatively there.
                            So...why oh why does my wonderful chemistry react to the over consumption of alcohol SO badly. I think my (bad) thought process over years and years allowed me to continue to abuse my self..either some how thinking I deserved this route of self distruction, or, because of my negative self image, I didn't care if I drowned my self to death in beer????
                            Much to think on....very thought provoking stuff here.
                            Love this place...:h
                            XO,
                            K
                            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

trixietrack;299764 wrote: I think self esteem has a lot to do with why some people abuse alcohol and drugs.
                              Exactly... I had absolutely no self-esteem growing up. I thought when I got grown that alcohol would open me up more; make me more likable and sociable; I could finally be the person I always dreamed of being. Alcohol is a great deceiver.

Comment

Alcohol and Addiction

FloridaBoy;299769 wrote: Aqua wrote:

"When they make ads warning about alcohol why don't they make that message loud and clear that if you keep drinking you can become addicted. It seems like you just don't hear the word alcohol and addiction together very often. Maybe because it is such a socially acceptable thing to do. What are your thoughts and experience with this. "

It is socially acceptable and heavily taxed. It is also big business and when there is a lot of money at stake no one wants to shine a light on the potential problems.
                                I've been crying this for the last 2-3 three days, Floriday... alcohol is a drug but I only hear that from people AFTER we become addicted to it and we realize it because we can't stop.

Too much money involved. Accidents, dead people, etc. Nothing stops that dollar flow.

Comment

Working...
                                X