Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toxic People~

Toxic Relationships: The People

Some relationships constantly drain your energy, in both obvious and subtle ways. Several types of people will exhaust you or deter you from your path to living a fulfilled life. Life coach Cheryl Richardson describes six types of toxic qualities in people.

The Blamer
    This person likes to hear his own voice. He constantly complains about what isn't working in his life and yet gets energy from complaining and dumping his frustrations on you.

The Drainer
    This is the needy person who calls to ask for your guidance, support, information, advice or whatever she needs to feel better in the moment. Because of her neediness, the conversation often revolves around her, and you can almost feel the life being sucked out of you during the conversation.

The Shamer
    This person can be hazardous to your health. The shamer may cut you off, put you down, reprimand you, or make fun of your or your ideas in front of others. He often ignores your boundaries and may try to convince you that his criticism is for you own good. The shamer is the kind of person who makes you question your own sanity before his.

The Discounter
    This is the person who discounts or challenges everything you say. Often, she has a strong need to be right and can find fault with any position. It can be exhausting to have a conversation with the discounter, so eventually you end up giving in and deciding to just listen.

The Gossip
    This person avoids intimacy by talking about other behind their backs. The gossip gets energy from relaying stories, opinions, and the latest "scoop." By gossiping about others, he creates a lack of safety in his relationships, whether he realizes it or not. After all, if he'll talk about someone else, he'll talk about you.

Toxic People~

very interresting thank you sweetie... oh not into the feet thingy
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Toxic People~

You know the thing about all those types? They all have their own issues... things they are in denial about ...
      P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
      - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Toxic People~

What did Thumpers dad say?
        The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Toxic People~

thanks for that.
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Toxic People~

Good post, Rippy.... I thought of a couple of other types of toxic people...

The Victim. Nothing is this person's fault. Personal responsibility? Fuggetaboutit...

The Guilter. Kind of like the Drainer, but an expert at passing out guilt pills. Goes hand in hand with...

The Manipulater. Unknowingly, you get roped into doing what this person wants, and it's only later that you question your actions. Again, this might be the Drainer...

Conversely, there are the people that spark energy and love, and you want to embrace them.... the people that walk into the room and everything seems okay.

The Calmer. Just being around this person settles the anxiety brewing in your heart. Brings quiet determination and strength. Truly an umbrella during a rainstorm.

The Optimist.
            This person finds the bright side of any situation.... :sun:

The Sparkler.
            This person brings feistiness and loves happiness. Quick minded and solution seeking, nothing will stop the Sparkler from finding a solution.

The Jokemeister.
            No matter how dismal your life is, the Jokemeister scratches his head, pulls your finger, and finds the funny twist in life. If he's really good, you'll be laughing with tears and later realize that he's pulled you out of the dark.

The Energizer.
            Just being around this person jolts you into action. No dark corners for this guy.... no excuses... let's go. The Energizer won't take no for an answer, and keeps going and going.

???

Patty
            Tampa, FL

Comment

Toxic People~

Think I am a bit of them all, I certainly work with them all individually - lol. Trying to be one of the umbrellas, really like that idea - to be someone that folks feel makes them feel okay - mmmmm like that.

Lx
              Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Toxic People~

Tea, you are so honest...and yes we all have bits and pieces of toxic behavior in us. This is my favorite one though~an expert at passing out guilt pills...(The Guilter) thats my hubby. :H

Comment

Toxic People~

Love your new avatar Rip, tee hee hee - made me giggle.

Lx
                  Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Toxic People~

"The Shamer", that would be my mother and my husband (yep, I married my mother) and I guess that would make me "The Drinker". Important to note, I was "shamed" for 40something years before I ever drank, meaning their behavior wasn't connected to my drinking. Now they seem to like me more! Drunk!!!.....Oh what a tangled web we weave.
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

Toxic People~

I would like to add:

The Bummer - the person who is just never happy...no matter what... and wants to bring you down too.
                      Beck
                      Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Toxic People~

Beck;301316 wrote: I would like to add:

The Bummer - the person who is just never happy...no matter what... and wants to bring you down too.
                        Beck
                        Good one, Beck.... I'm thinking of Eeyore?

Patty
                        Tampa, FL

Comment

Toxic People~

MyHeartIsDrenchedInWine;301313 wrote: "The Shamer", that would be my mother and my husband (yep, I married my mother) and I guess that would make me "The Drinker". Important to note, I was "shamed" for 40something years before I ever drank, meaning their behavior wasn't connected to my drinking. Now they seem to like me more! Drunk!!!.....Oh what a tangled web we weave.
                          hahaha.. that was funny Drenched..... "the drinker".. know what you mean..

My mother is the 'martyr'.. ohhhh poor meee.... to this day.
                          P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                          - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Toxic People~

Thought of another Toxic person today:

The Underminder (not the underminer - he works in the gold mines): this person listens to your success only to find little tears in your fabric of courage.... and when the opportunity is ripe, this person innocently suggests a spark of an idea that will ultimately lead to your demise.... this is the friend that suggests the shopping trip when you are ready to work out, or the person that offers you a beer to celebrate your sobriety.

The Underminder is nowhere to be found when repercussions are looming and darkness falls... they are preying on their next candidate....

Patty
                            Tampa, FL

Comment

Toxic People~

NYC is ridden with bummer types. and manipulators.
                              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Working...
                              X