All you AA'rs...oppinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, I just wondered about your thoughts and experiences with AA as I am confused..

I have been attending meetings regularly, albeit 3rd time around, since 1st January and believe, along with mwo it has been a crucial part of my recovery (I took my last drink on January 3rd). I am, however feeling under increasing pressure to actively participate in the "programme" ie the 12 steps and traditions. I am supposed to meet up with my intended "sponsor" tomorrow night, but I don't know whether it is the right thing for me to do. I am not religious, was not brought up in a religious family and am overwhelmed by everyone saying that in order for me to recover completely, I must have a sponsor and I must do the "programme". I am really struggling with all this "handing over" and getting down on my hands and knees to pray that I will be kept on the right path and steered away from temptation: :no: My understanding is, that I am responsible for my actions and it is up to me to deal with the consequences of them. I have benefited immensely from the meetings but am getting fed up of all the negativity regarding "just attending" and not following the programme. Apparently I will just remain a "dry drunk" if I don't commit to the steps. I was told that at the moment "pride" is keeping me from picking up a drink.. the fact I will lose my "count".. was told that "pride" will keep me sober for a little while but not forever... I HAVE to get on the programme. It also concerns me that whichever meeting I go to, and there are many in my area, I see the same people, hear the same stories... Is being at an AA meeting every night of the week (some attend the daytime ones as well) a mentally healthy alternative ?? Is that "living"? I know they/we are not drinking which is great, but is that the way to integrate and deal with the daily life we have hidden away from for long enough in our battle with the bottle ?

I am not disagreeing with the principles of AA, I cannot criticize something that has helped so many people. I just want some hope that I can still get better if i just go, listen, absorb and leave, or am I setting my self up to fail. Should I get together with my sponsor and start following the programme even if I don't agree that that my insane actions , paranoia and lack of control can be removed from me, if I merely "hand over" to my higher power as I understand him.. . or her...or whatever
    Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

SK8RGIRL,

First, let me start by saying. My intention is not to speak for others, only myself and my experiences. I know some have been helped by AA, that was not my experience.

I did not like all the negativity surrounding AA. You are a "Hopeless Drunk", until you do the steps you will remain a Dry Drunk, (basicly a personality disorder) until you do the "Steps". This whole concept was extremely self defeating to me.

I too heard the same stories time after time after time. I thought, these people are "Stuck in Their Stories".......how can you move forward with that belief system? I did not leave AA meetings feeling positive and hopeful, I left depressed and feeling already defeated. I often felt the strong need to drink after AA meetings. I kept thinking that if I kept going.....I would "Get It". Yes, people were very nice to me, offered to be my sponser.........but the bottom line was that I simply did not believe what they believed. I could see no point in handing over My Personal Power to anyone else! I am responsible for me, my actions and my interactions.

Sadly, I continued to drink until I found MWO. Because of reading the book, taking the supps and this board. I have been sober nearly 90 day! I consider myself a non-drinker. I live my life as a non-drinker.
    For me, MWO is the way out!

Best Wishes to you and your Sobriety!
    XX KateH
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi Skater,

Check out this link. I think you will find it very informative.

Orange Papers

Continued success to you!

Comment

like I said before. if you don't agree with the programme, at some point you will rebel againt it.

wishing you well.

I am checking out lucky's link above ....... AA replaces one addiction for another.
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

hi there..sk8rgrl..there is alot of things i deagree with aa . but i can say it has really help me .and the 12 and 12 is a great book . and i go to meetings 2 times aweek and at 5 months and some odd days now . i dont have a sponsor and i dont feel i need a sponsor but that just me .and there are some people that feell they need to go to meeting everyday . and you sound like you are doing a great jod . as for me telling you to get a sponsor or see him or her i cant do that. it has to be up to you . and when you said intended sponsor what does that mean .did you ask for him or her to help you or did they suggest him or her for you ........ok go to chat so i can talk to you please
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

hi SK8R, ive recently decided that AA and the 12 steps is purely not for me for various reasons, ive been in the rooms 5 months and ive noticed a certain amount of prejudice from certain people in the rooms because im not 'on the programme' i dont believe the programme is for me but i wanted to keep attending AA as listening and interacting with people DID help me stay sober for 4 months. mainly without many compulsion or obsession. i also had the unpleasent experience of being criticised for accepting a lift off a woman and sitting beside her in a meeting. things like this will NOT get me sober. its a case of if you dont do the programme yer not welcome and not one of us. its just not for me H X :new:

Comment

Thank you Lucky! very informative. Have only read a little but fully intend to read the rest. Think that this may make my mind up for me. We have to do it for ourselves. I love mwo cuz no one judges you, just supports. I will stick with my lunch time meeting as it doesnt seem as heavy as the night time ones when more people are uptight, angry and chomping at the bit. Kate, well done on your almost 90 days, that puts you and me right besides one another as I am 88 days today!

Comment

I also had a bad experience with AA...I have been sober for about 60 days..and a women came up to me after my 30 day recognition period and said if I truley accepted that I was an acholic that I needed to go to 90 meeting in 90 days....Well if I'm not drinkiing and doing o.k. and attending that many meetings is imposible because I worlk full time and have a family to also think off. I would be crazy after going to 90 meetings in 89 days...I am doing o.k. by attending 1 meeting a week and if I think I need more I will attend more..I also have a counciler, shrink for depression meds and it is getting easier every day to stay away from drinking....I know I am an alcholic and will always be one. I am choosing not to drink right now.
                :new:Sam

Comment

Hurricane that's something else... I had exactly the same thing happen to me. "men for men" women for women", I mean... what century are we living in here ??. I have my own power, I just have to find it, and I aint doin too bad with that so far.

Comment

and i know what you mean about hearing the same story over and over ..the way i look at it is i only take what i need from aa and the books.. they can preach all they want . and if it sound like preaching its not for me . but it you feel you need a sponsor go for it but if not just go to the meeting and enjoy yourself . do what you feel is right for you not anyone else you are the only one that will know if you want a drink or not and you dont have to be religious to believe there is something higher then yourself meaning god , your higherpower , that cat,the trees, budda, and so on . but as long as you believe in something. you can pray and you dont have to get on your hands and knees
                    peace and god bless you and see i dont even go to chruch just believe
                    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

...religion has nothing to do with AA..its just held in a church basement.
                      ...my experience has been good because the group of people are interesting!
                      ...i am not a follower so i don't believe all principles and do not like the word - program.
                      ...some are addicted and its a life line for them..thats okay..i like stuffed animals.
                      ...one will follow another on topic, to be accepted as part of the group...i can't do that.
                      ...veterans (long timers) can put on a show for newcomers.
                      ...i think that some steps are somewhat stupid. won't tell them that!
                      ...i go because i have nothing to do right now and it fills a void 3 days a week.
                      ...there are a few who are genuinely inspirational to me and i learn from them.
                      ...i think AA is good, depends on where you go, and your attitude in general.
                      ...is the ORANGE BOOK a contradiction to AA's approach?
                      ...I plan to continue going and plan to cut back eventually...

:tonguemonkey:...i share very little at meetings!

Comment

sk8grl i just wanted to congratulate you on 88 days. that is amazing! good luck with what ever you decide.

best wishes

Trix
                        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

tlrgs, did just try to join you in chat but you weren't there. In honesty i tend not to use chat as I have got myself into trouble there...(admittedly whilst drunk) so consequently it has been a while since i used it. I have just discovered it has changed so may take me a while to work it out me being a "thicko" and all that lol

Comment

Sk8trgirl,

I happen to like AA meetings.

No, I don't have a sponsor, no, I don't particularly like the 12 step thing but I do like being around others who have my issue.

Some agree and some disagree on the program.

I don't care.

I take away from it what helps and leave the rest.

Going to AA meetings gives me a sense of peace. I helps to know there are others like me around here.

MWO does the same. I love this community and am so grateful I found it.

Do whatever works for you.

Love,
                            Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

88 Days!!!! Well done, good Job!! Keep going...............in reading what you have written regarding your relationship to AA...............sounds like you have gotten sober....YOUR WAY and it has worked!!! I wish that it was possible to have in person, meetings the MWO Way!! The one opportunity that I had to meet two other wonderful members, was amazing!! I will do it again!!

Again 88 Days!!!!!! Congratulations!!

XX Kate
                              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X