Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiding a drinking problem

bald headed old guy;303158 wrote: TT,
    I don't think I tried to hide how much I drank, as wife ususally knew when I went to the package store and how much I brought home, and how much there was in the AM. she also knew how much I drank when we went to dinner...the difference was she did not truely understand that I was suffering badly from the effects, and that it was an addiction that was consuming me from the inside. Shee could see the changes in my facial expression, my speach, and my attitude..but she did not know how bad it was internally.
    I never drank on the job, never drank before work or at lunch, so that was not a problem.
    So, I can't speak for others...hiding it was not my issue.
    My 2 cents worth.
    BHOG
    This just about sums me up....I'm sure there are many others :h
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

I have "lurked" here for quite a while before deciding to join. As a secret drinker, I can certainly post my own mindset. I think the internet is "safe-ish" place to post your deepest, darkest secrets as long as you don't disclose too many personal details (a mistake I have made in the past). Being a secret drinker is considered unhealthy, looked down on......... and rightly so. You often have people here saying "but I've never drank in a morning" like that makes them better than the rest of us and maybe it does. People hide their drinking because of the shame of drinking that bloody much. Full stop. It's also a fact that people that live alone don't need to hide it, do they? - no-one to judge....... Kudos to anyone that is up front about the amount they drink. I was not one of them, I'm a self-confessed bottle hider!

Day 1 AF.

Truth is, we are all here to find help. We are all as bad as each other! in my opinion, but I can't even spell Delilah (see my user name), so what do I know.

Comment

Yes I am a hider, and a secret on my own drinker which is how i prefer to drink so no-one can judge me .... ho hum I should speak in the past tense now as I am determined to go April completely AF just to prove to ME that I CAN do it. I shopped at different places of course, if at my local shop I would always have a 'story' to tell the girl behind the counter of visitors or whatever as if she was interested - jeez, then staggering back down later with the same story, what a sorry mess and I STILL try not to shop at the local shop if any alcohol is involved. I even lied to people who drank as much as me as to how much I drank, what is that all about then, I don't know.

What I do know is that when I don't drink I feel so good, better than good I feel fabulous so the age old question why do I do it, because I am an alcoholic that's why, no more no less. I think it was Star that said in one of her posts and this really sticks with me 'The fact that I am an alcoholic is not a problem for me - unless I take a drink'.... so true.

Lx
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I tend to not care much about what people think, (might not be a good thing). I've gotten really drunk in public. I have this problem though, I am one of those charmer type drunks. people always want to buy me a drink or keep me around at their parties cause I am a lot of fun.

This really makes it hard to admit that I need to stop being party queen.

I have been trying to get my drinking friends to do other activities, but it always turns into a party.
            it's exhausting.
            Maybe because it's NYC and everyone is stressed out and looking for some outlet.

I like having those 4 or 5 days AF I get so much done.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I LOVED to drink at home alone. One of my favourite past times.... I believe once I did let it all out in the open, and when I stopped, people still thought I was drinking all of the time.

Honestly, I wish I had never told anyone I had a problem. If I had found this site before the beans were spilled, I would never have disclosed my drinking behaviour to my family/friends.

After a year and a half of being mostly AF, I still get treated like I have some horrid disease, and everyone still thinks I am a piss tank!

Not only that is everyone in my family and most of my friends are alcoholics! LOL...!

So, if I ever were to go back to drinking (which I know that won't happen if I can help it), I will NOT disclose it, and I will lie through my teeth to those in my real life.

OK, rant over - thanks Trix!

Comment

yes AFM I am actually glad I found this place before things got out of control.

and I ended up in a situation where all I get is negative critique instead of support.
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

ive never hidden booze in my life and did the majority of my drinking in the pub ,either alone or with other drinkers,but it doesnt matter wether we hide it or not,we have all ended up with this awful problem with al

Comment

Accountable for Me;303649 wrote: I LOVED to drink at home alone. One of my favourite past times.... I believe once I did let it all out in the open, and when I stopped, people still thought I was drinking all of the time.

Honestly, I wish I had never told anyone I had a problem. If I had found this site before the beans were spilled, I would never have disclosed my drinking behaviour to my family/friends.

After a year and a half of being mostly AF, I still get treated like I have some horrid disease, and everyone still thinks I am a piss tank!

Not only that is everyone in my family and most of my friends are alcoholics! LOL...!

So, if I ever were to go back to drinking (which I know that won't happen if I can help it), I will NOT disclose it, and I will lie through my teeth to those in my real life.

OK, rant over - thanks Trix!
                    This has always been my fear and I believe this would happen if I opened up......so much stigma, WTF? THANK YOU for sharing your experience with opening up!
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                    X