Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

I finally got around to reading You can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay, which I know has been recommended by RJ.

It's a little similar to the Secret in terms of having aspects of Laws of Attraction/positive thinking.

But it's a lot more special than that. I am not big on positive affirmations but this book really should be required reading for anyone low self-esteem, which affects a lot of people on this website. The author really makes you think about the negative messages you give yourself and learn how to turn that around. Also, every thing you put in your body is a sign of the care you take of yourself, that includes junk food and booze.

I really feel that self-hatred is at the root of alcohol problems for many women. Of course, having a problem fits that negative self-image. So what is the need for change? No wonder people self-sabotage their attempts to quit drinking.

I really enjoyed it!

Nancy
    (AF since I read the book 6 days ago)

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

thanks Nancy, I'll look out for that! Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Thank you Nancy, great post. I will look for the book.
      L.
      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Louise Hay is quite an inspiration. She truly speaks from her own experience and an intense truth within her. I first read You Can Heal Your Life, about 15 years ago. It really changed my life at that time. I picked it up again just a couple of weeks ago, I am gaining so much from reading this again. I also have the movie of You Can Heal Your Life, it is also excellent! You can find this book etc and much more at hayhouse.com.

Kate
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Nancy!!

Thank you so much for the recommendation.

I am ordering two copies, one for me and one for my daughter.

This is actually such a timely post considering the self-esteem issues I think my girl is going through.

I am also very happy for you. It sounds like you are doing great!!

Love,
          Cindi
          XVIII
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Thank you for the book review... and Congrats on 6 days AF!!!!!!!

I've read a few Louise Hay books... and got one for a daughter I home schooled for a little while.. "The Power is Within You" .. good book... (took off bookshelf again to peruse and read)..

:goodjob:
            P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
            - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Thanks for the recommendation Nancy, and :goodjobn the AF days .....

Love & Hugs, BB xx
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

My mom gave me that book back in 1998. I loved it, but did not appreciate it so much 10 years ago.... I read it once in a while now.

I truly believe in the laws of attraction. I have been trying.... to live my life that way for a couple of weeks now.

Nice to see you, Nancy. Good job on your 6 (now 7) days of AF!

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Well I didn't like the Secret much, saw the DVD. It was so materialistic.

There is something to be said about sending yourself positive messages though and learning to let go of the past. I think some women are not very good at nurturing themselves. Part of this has to do with upbringing and it's part of our culture to put ourselves down. So, in the context of alcohol, we shouldn't be focusing on the shame or disappointment to others, to heal we need to fix our relationship with ourselves and stop poisoning ourselves. I have seen it happen quite often on these boards that people just get sick of the whole experience. No wonder,it's so negative!

I am also in therapy again.

Comment

Self-esteem/Louise Hay

Actually, the DVD that I mentioned is You Can Heal Your Life. It is a wonderful adaptation of the book which also includes some powerful interviews with Louise Hay, Cheryl Richardson, Dr. Christian Northrop and several others.

I did enjoy The Secret, I believe it is about much more than just gaining wealth. But then again, I see nothing wrong with wanting to live a comfortable, and secure life financially. Poverty and struggle are not virtues, nor do they enrich life. The point that I got regarding materialism is that the world is boundless. What one person owns or has, does not limit anyone else. There is an abundance for all of us and all we need to do is work towards what we desire. Our desire for sobriety can also work in this way.

Yes, I know, we can talk about greed, such as Enron, Worldcom etc etc. But, that is a different story. That was not at all what The Secret was promoting.

Just a different point of view!
                    KH
                    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X