This is where I live.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....appropo of nothing much but it just shows how they think where I live.....

Hubby and I took a dog walk together for the first time in ages and decided to have a breakfast afterwards. I remembered a greasy spoon cafe in a boat yard near us we had been to before and suggested we went there. Wasn't where it used to be. Couldn't find it anywhere, despite the signs (from the road, into the boatyard). Found an old boy sat in a chair outside an office (this was about 10am so that in itself tells you something about the pace of life!!) Asked about the cafe. "No borrrr, thasss not bin hair for nair two yeirrs" (translated - no sir and madam, that particular establishment has not existed in this area for nearly two years)

We pointed out that the signs were all still up. He shrugged. "Thass early days yet" was his reply.

Still, I like it here.

Bessie xx

so where did you eat breakfast then??lol

Comment

We get lost. Stop and I (being the female) ask for directions. Get back in car and hubby say's "welll?" With a straight face, mind you, I say (while pointing in a general direction) "You keep on keepin' on till it drops on down and then you faller it up a bit". I still say "keep on keepin' on".
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Limers - Another greasy spoon in the town. A bacon butty from a greasy spoon just cannot be bettered. IMHO. You ok with greasy spoon Greeny? I know we did buttys yesterday so you should be ok with that now..... !!

I did think about teaching you hunting terms - mask, stern, Charlie, cruppers, stirrup cup, giving tongue.....etc !! :H:H

B xx

Comment

I'm in SE USA! I know all about greasy spoons. We made up the term! Breakfasts are the best at a greasy spoon.
          sigpic

Comment

LOL!! And I thought we invented it - during the war or something! Along with Tommy and Geezer and luv-a-duck!! :H

So, OK - that only goes to prove I speak American as WELL as English! Bi-lingual!

Comment

USA here, what is a Bacon Butty? Just curious!
              "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Hehe! :H You need to ask Greeny - she has been having English lessons recently!! It's what you call a bun - like a burger bun - but with bacon in it. Buns here are sweet. I think your bacon is different to ours too isn't it?

Bessie xx

Comment

why are your pigs different from ours?:H had to ask it!

kidding-our bacon is thin & crispy....mmmmm bacon.....I think I'll have a BLT for lunch.
                  :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Yes, of course they are different. Ours drink tea and eat muffins.....!! :H

Comment

I thought your piggies ate baps.
                      sigpic

Comment

No, I think they would probably eat buns........! I just hit the language barrier on another thread - pots=pans=toilets?? If only you Americans would learn to speak English!!!! :H:H

Comment

Bessie,

I'm curious about the term..........giving tongue.......???????
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

like in "making out"? ......:H
                            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Love this Bessie!! Glad you're sounding happier - as in, hope you're feeling as happy as you sound!!

Someone HAD to ask didn't they !! - giving tongue is extremely exuberant, fast and loud, exciting and vigorously promising......!!!!!! :H Good eh, LVT!?!? Goes with having erect sterns....... OK!?

I love the 10am guy! We have plenty of those sorts 'ere - going to do things 'drekly'....same as 'manyana' only not as urgent!!

Love FMS xx
                              :heart: c: :heart:
                              "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                              X