My Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Kids

It's been no secret to my kids aged 15, 13 & 11 that I drink. They've seen me drunk more times than I care to say. I've told them that I'm going to a centre for alcohol and drug addiction to help me stop and they're really pleased.

The last 22mths have been exceptionally hideous for me and there fore for my kids. Some of you know that one of my best friends was murdered by her long term partner, it'll be 2yrs in June, I was date raped in the following February and then in August diagnosed with bipolar. So a lot has been neglected, my kids, myself, my home, my friends because I just completely shut down in the end.

My medication has changed recently and I feel a hell of a lot better. My son surprised me the other week when he said " Yah!!! Mum your back" . God bless him. Just goes to show that when you think your doing a good job faking that your alright it doesn't always work. All my children are really pleased to see me back, getting things done in the house and garden and there're really keen to help. I thank God that I have a good relationship with my kids and they are good kids despite everything. I've always tried to be as honest as I can or think I should be with them.

Anyway, what i'm trying to get to is this. I had to write a list of pros and cons of drinking to take to my next meeting at the addiction centre, which was yesterday.

On Thurday I asked the kids for their imput. They can't see anything good about drinking we were talking about the cons and came up with a quick list all pretty obvious really, wasted money, hangovers, depression, anxiety, blackouts, shame, guilt, weight gain, lack of motivation, arguments, crying, embarrassing, no self esteem etc.....

Then my 13yr old said she had something to show me. A couple of weeks ago she had videoed me drunk on her mobile phone. It was awful to watch. My children were begging me to go to bed so that I'd be their normal mum in the morning, I was slurring my words and not making a lot of sense, what they were saying was mature beyond their years, all 3 of them. I did end up getting up and going to bed.

How horrible for them. I cryed when I watch it and that's why they hadn't shown me cause they didn't want to upset me. We all had a cry and I thanked them for videoing me and showing me what a hideous disgrace I am when drunk. NO MUM SHOULD BE LIKE THAT EVER. I got them to load it onto my account on the pc for me. Any time that drinking feeling/thinking comes sneaking along I'm gonna watch it. I watch it last night actually cause I was having some cravings, beleive me, it soon put them to sleep.

My kids are brilliant and I'm so proud of them. I'm so ashamed of myself for what I have allowed alcohol to do to me and to them by witnessing me under the influence........

NO MORE!! EVER........

Want
    xxxxx
    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
    There's fire in your eyes,
    Bite me, excite me,
    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
    Brings eternal flame.
    Open me to heaven,
    To heal me again.

My Kids

You should be very proud of your kids. It sounds like you are taking all the right steps to make sobriety a priority in your life.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to watch ourselves in a drunken state

Blessings to you!
    AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

My Kids

Welcome Want,

How brave of you to take that step to get help. How lucky you are to have such wonderful children. I wish you much strength in your upcoming journey. This site offers a wealth of information. Keep reading and keep posting. We are here for you.

Miso :heart:

Comment

My Kids

Hi want!
        Howr u doing now?
        I'm new to mywayout and read your story. Ihave 2 girls, their dad drinks. They supported ME when he would verbally abuse me. Yet they still love him coz he's a good man. It really helps to be honest with them, then they can deal with it better. Don't know if this makes sense! Anyway, thinking of u, lwt me know how u are now.
        Regards
        Artcat

Comment

My Kids

Dear Want,
          What a story. It reminds me to stop whining! I really have been blessed in my life compared to others. It would be so easy to self medicate!!!! Your kids sound great, I'm doing this because I need to be more "available" to my kids (13 and 10). Thanks so much for sharing!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

My Kids

Thankyou all for your replies and support,

I am incredibly proud of my kids :h they're fantastic, I don't want to let them down anymore, they deserve so much than what they've been getting off me lately, and I deserve better for myself also.

It wasn't a nice experience seeing myself drunk but I'm so glad I have. To think my kids have had to put up with that. It was just the medicine I needed to make me even more determined, it just didn't taste very nice and was hard to swallow.

Artcat, It does make sense what you said about being honest with your kids, they can deal with things better if they know whats going on. It's more scary for them being left in the dark so to speak. I think kids are like sponges and they soak everything up that's going on around them even if you think your hiding it well. It's always better to be honest in an age appropriate way, but with out making them feel responsible in any way for whats going on, that's very important.

I'm feeling very good a the moment and I've noticed a change in my kids, they seem freer if that makes any sense. So alls good here and I'm not going to mess it up by having a drink.

Thanks again for your support
            :h

Bite me, excite me,
            I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
            Brings eternal flame.
            Open me to heaven,
            To heal me again.

Comment

My Kids

Your story hits close to home.. because my kids saw me drunk many more times than I care to remember... and they turned out GReat!!

So glad you found your 'reality check'.. I'm sure a video of me would do it for me too ... lol.
              P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
              - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

My Kids

this is great...

love the creative writing. its a trip! and Miso Hi wanted...that is hysterical..keep it up, its truly a pleasure reading this. what a gift bringing all this here for people to enjoy. nice..isn't it -to have FREE time to do what we want. I know i love it! :thanks:

Comment

My Kids

You have great kids, WRM. You are doing a great thing getting help-those kids are worth every minute of it. I can't help but thinking that you must have been doing something right as a mom to have raised such wonderful children.

Keep up the good work.

:l :l
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

My Kids

Ripple--wtf?
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

My Kids

You're much braver than I am Want. I'd die if my daughter had a video of me drunk. It totally makes me even sick to think about it.

Good luck to you!!
                      Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

My Kids

Dear Wantrealmeaning

Oh, how I know what it is to deal with children. They are so much smarter than we are so often. Not so much smarter, but they love you and just want to help you. Such brave little souls.

I went totally honest with my kids a few years ago - not like they didn't know I was a drunk for many years before that. But I did it when I was in recovery and they all saw my improvement and started saying such nice things to me that I had never imagined they would say. They were late teenagers at the time - both boys.

Now they are so proud of me for my sobiety. I think they have a little bit of an idea how hard it has been. But they definitely like me better now. But the big thing is, they never stopped loving me, no matter what.

I am so sorry for drinking when being a mother. I wish I had not done that. Now my sons are grown and I wish I could take those years back. Your children are still young. Grab hold of sobriety and have fun being a mother. It really is a wonderful job.
                        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

My Kids

A P.S. to this.

My youngest is in college near us now, but we are still so close friends. I went to his apartment recently - only because he invited me - to a birthday party for a friend of his.

When someone handed me a beer, he said "No, my Mom doesn't drink. She's an alcoholic so doesn't drink." we both started laughing together for no reason. A good hard belly laugh and then a hug. I know he is proud of me, not ashamed of me. And we can laugh about it.

It took some healing, but we are cool with it now.
                          Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

My Kids

Thanks so much to all of you.

Day 5 AF and still feeling positive.

Y.A.H, thank you so much for saying that I must have been doing something right in raising my kids. That means a hell of a lot to me cause I've raised them completely by myself with not a lot of support at all. I think it's the honesty that's the key.

Mags, what you posted really touched me, I'm so, so pleased for you, you really are an inspiration. I've read a few of your threads and saved 3 of them, I know they'll really help me. Its heart warming to hear you and your son having a hearty, healthy laugh in the face of alcohol, I bet that moment gave you massive healing in itself, brilliant, God bless you.

Thanks again, your all gorgeous, even you Ripple, you've got the weirdest, dryest sense of humour I come across in a long time.

take care all of you
                            love
                            want
                            :h

Bite me, excite me,
                            I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                            Brings eternal flame.
                            Open me to heaven,
                            To heal me again.

Comment

My Kids

Want,

I just wanted to add my $.02.

I agree with Kathy, you have done something right to have children grow up with the caring attitude they have shown you. You are truly blessed.

I also agree with Mags. You still have some great times ahead with them and I am happy for you and them that you will not waste one more second of it with drinking.

Keep that video handy as a little reminder and you can't fail!

Good on you for getting help with your drinking, too. It shows how determined you are to take this problem and do away with it for good.

Best of luck to you!!

Love,
                              Cindi
                              XXVIII
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X