Terry: profoundly moving book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Terry: My Daughter's Life-and-Death Struggle with Alcoholism," written by former U.S. Senator George McGovern.
    Teresa/Terry, born into a well-known political family, struggled brutally against alcoholism since she was a teen, and after constant relapses (and one 8-year stint of sobriety), she ended up dying after passing out in a snowbank at the age of 45.
    This book is for anyone who has struggled with chronic alcoholism, and definitely any parent or relative of someone who has. Her family's "what could we have done differently? Why couldn't we save her?" is heart-wrenching. It's hard to put down. It made me cry -- partly because she died mere blocks from where I live, mostly because of the suffering and ruined lives caused by the wretched bottle.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

I was beginning to think I was the only one who had read this book. I too was really moved by what I read. It's on my book shelf and I reach for it whenever I feel I need to remind myself why I shouldnt drink.
    Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

I am going to search it out tomorrow. Thanks!
      Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Thanks Dexterhead,
        I think I will search it out too.....(although I am always so upset when I read someone has had a long long stint of sobriety and goes back to the bottle...it's so frightening).
        Amelia
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

thank you for this recommendation - I just ordered it from amazon
          when you fail at something is when you learn and grow the most

Comment

Working...
          X