Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Thought - Tuesday

Today's thought is:

In analysis, as I have known it, you are confronted by your qualities and cannot disown them, though you may try to.
    --Florida Scott Maxwell

We aren't all in formal analysis, but the Twelve Step program does introduce us to the personal inventory. In this exercise of introspection, we come to know ourselves. We often don't like who we see, but until we have acknowledged it, we are unable to change the specifics of our behavior.

Blaming other people and the "unlucky" circumstances of our lives for all our troubles is deeply rooted in who we are. But coming to believe that accepting full responsibility for ourselves will empower us, even when we are guilty of wrongdoing, is a major step forward.

Looking squarely at ourselves and owning all of who we are may not make us proud, but it does make us honest and humble. We have to be both, first, if we ever hope to forge the qualities that will make us proud.

Today I will reveal qualities that I like very much. If some that I don't like surface, I won't deny them; I will correct them.
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

One of the things that I dont like about AA is that it seems that they only focus on the negative qualities of the person. Keep in mind that I have never been to AA meeting. My only experience is other people's comments and what I have seen portrayed on sitcoms.
    I am glad that your last sentence started with the revealing of the qualities that you like very much. Because introspection should be inclusive of that. My therapist (not that I need one) told me that it takes 8 positives to make up for 1 negative. Which is why negative feedback is so destructive vs. positive feedback.
    Great thought for the day!!!!
    So, one of the things that I like about myself is that I have a friend named Noelle!

Comment

Aw, thanks Croft. :l

The check's in the mail.
      Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Gee. I never felt like my negative qualities were involved in AA meetings. I must not have any. :H I'm OK with AA. Reads like a bumper sticker doesn't it?
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

thanks noelie
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

firmly planted today.

God Croft are you right! AA is all about wrong doing..everything is because of YOU..blah, blah, blah...they doo focus DOWN...@AA..personal inventory. My good inventory out weighs the bad. Thanks for the thought Noelle...gave us something to talk about. I don't care my personal inventory is lighter now that i do not drink package store products..:thanks:

Comment

Working...
            X