CAN I ASK FOR SOME HONEST OPINIONS PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must start by saying that I really don't want this to turn into a fight!!!!

Someone has asked for help here recently because they started drinking again and wanted some advice ............... they admitted that they had been drinking but wanted advice to get through the day ...........

One of the replies really hurt this person and then was told to 'never post under the influence of alcohol' ...........

In my humble opinion, this is a site to help people recover from a drink problem, surely as long as the drunk person isn't abusive and genuinely is asking for help there shouldn't be a problem .............

Surely that's what this place is about ..................

Would love some feedback ...........

Love & Hugs, BB xx
    sigpicXXX

Well, I just responded to the attacker in a non-confrontal way - I am hoping. I think it is ridiculous. Way out to lunch to attack someone who was geniunely asking for help.

I have posted on this board under the influence on several occassions. I would 'guestimate' so has 99% here.

This is a board for people wanting help. Who really thinks that we all come here recovered and sober?

Like WTF?

Comment

well appreciated...XXOO

the person above my post uses that for a signature...do not post under the influence! you can see it right there..:egad:and yes this is ridiculous..there has been a lot of BAIT hanging around here, you never know what your biting into! :eeew: i have had some say to me far more terrible and let it go, things happen..its not the end of the world. :thumbs: there is enough support to let the gas pass. :thanks:look at the good and not always bad!

Comment

Hi BB
        I agree. To expect 100% of people with this bloody problem to post completley sober is ridiculous. Most do but some dont and some are drunk and in real trouble and hurting. I have never known any group thats trying to help people with this problem (except AA maybe???) that have the expectation you have to be completley dry for a week before we will help you. The Salvation Army in OZ for one has been helping all people with open arms since the late 1800s with no preconceptions or expectations but plain simple COMPASSION. I know RJ has advised people not to post while under the influence but Im sure she expects it to happen and when it gets beyond a cry for help and becomes abusive deals with it rationally. We are all in the same boat I for one do not feel I am in a postion to start waving a shame on you finger to some when they come here seeking compassion and a helping hand. That aint bloody right. RANT over
        Captn

Comment

BB

wot you may want to doo as a good friend would..PM the person and explain there are nortie persons in the world and to place that nortie one on :ignore:there are opitons you know, instead of getting the entire community infected unless it is already? :kissass: compassion is directly towards the person in need, i remember when i was in a serious mess you PM'd me, i knew better and never responded. Honestly everyone has bad days..you should read some of the mail i get...do you see me crying? :thanks:

Comment

Whilst it is true that whilst influenced by alcohol most people aren't able to think clearly, talk or listen properly it is ridiculous when alcohol services (yes my local one was like this) refuse to see anyone who is drunk.

Ummm, chicken and egg springs to mind. I do know that despite having AF days I only saw the light once AL was removed, completely from my body following a full detox.

BUT

If just thing we say in all our postings - to help gets through at some point then, hey it's definitely worth it. We were all there at some point and it can help to remind ourselves of what it was like. Helping others we help ourselves.

Comment

Ok all, if we were all sober 100% of the time we wouldn't need to be here. If you recognize that someone is under the influence and it bothers you, walk away. I'm tired of "holier than thou". I have enough of that out here!
              Ripple, pass me a mint

Comment

I have no problem with people posting under the influence IN MOST CIRCUMSTANCES. When people become abusive or start stirring up trouble, then it is time to stop posting--NOW! Usually by then, however, it is too late. When someone is posting and asking for help, I don't care if they have been drinking, sometimes that is the only time they can ask for help.

JMHO.

:l :l
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

it take alot for a person to even think about asking for help . and if they are drunk . "so what " they need someone to help them and that what we are here for. at least they are tpying . we have no right to judge and we have to be careful not to say something that would be really hurtful if you are thinking tough love it doesnt work for everyone.. like the saying goes you get more flys with honey then you will with vingar .....peace and god bless
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

wrong end?

yes, there are mints! looks like many could use some today..Things are BACKED UP..enjoy..http://www.fruit-eze.com/brands/feen_a_mint.html

Comment

Not me rip no need here regular joe

Comment

well..well..

its pretty damn close...if you want to get technical about it..the meaning is almost the same! its BAD for your health..and it says POSTing.......so there! alm: i think you need a mint. :goodjob: for pointing this out for me..:thanks:

Comment

BB-I've seen my fair share of people being abusive sober!

As long as I can at least literally "read" what they are typing and understand the pain the person is going thru-I say post away.

I've learned you need thick skin here sometimes.

my 3 cents
                          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Well, when I first started I posted quite a few times under the influence. I felt a little more relaxed tipsy than I would have being sober back then. I agree with Young at Heart. As long as the poster (who has had a few) isn't nasty to other members etc...
                            Are we supposed to be sober before we even come here?
                            Newbies can be incredibly frightened and in need of a hand round their shoulders, that is the reception I want to give them as that is the reception I received.
                            I knew I wasn't perfect (far from it), but I wasn't judged.

x
                            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

time
                              out
                              back to
                              your corner
                              hey that might not be a bad idear

time out
                              yeah love it
                              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Working...
                              X