Are you soul-deprived?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you soul-deprived?

Below is an article I received today, from a rather unusual source, which usually concerns itself with 'health articles' relating to exercise and diet rather than the psychological issues of addictions. I've highlighted the text that was poignant for me. Although in some areas of my life I feel happy and I am letting things take their natural progression instead of 'searching' (which I've mentioned in the past is infinite) there are areas in my life where I still feel unfulfilled as I am not 'letting go' properly. A trait I think a lot of addicts have is that we will always want change NOW and changing this way of thinking is not going to happen overnight. Even after me being nearly 4 months sober, I came to realise over the week-end, after feeling very melancholic, that I was still 'searching' for answers in areas of my life that I was feeling unfulfilled in instead of just letting things be and flow through me. My drinking during my teen years left me without the vital foundations for progressing through life as an adult who could be responsible for his actions. Alcohol took that away from me and I guess I want those vital years back NOW and I'm rushing things again. As I mentioned before, in some areas I am doing great, other's not too great but a valuable lesson over the week-end, for me, was learned.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx

Soul, Slaves, and Addiction

By Dr. Matthew Anderson

I have two questions:

1. Are you an addict?
    2. Are you soul-deprived?

What do I mean by addict? The word addict is derived from the Latin addictus which means "given over as one awarded to another as a slave". My question, then, might be translated as "What are you enslaved to?"

If you ponder this question, you might discover that you are actually a slave to more than one substance or behavior. You may be a workaholic (a very serious and debilitating addiction), a spendaholic (potentially just as destructive), a drug addict, an alcoholic, a compulsive gambler, or a sexaholic. Your enslavement of choice could also be to cigarettes, exercise, dieting, or food (60% of America). The list is endless...

I hope my point is clear: Much or most of America is addicted (enslaved) to something, seriously, self-destructively, enslaved. And we thought we put an end to that nasty stuff in 1861!

Why have we become a nation of addicts rabidly in search of the next high? The answer to this question is in question 2 above: Are you soul-deprived?

What is soul-deprivation?

To quote Thomas Moore (THE CARE OF THE SOUL), symptoms that reflect a loss of soul include emptiness, meaninglessness, vague depression, disillusionment about marriage, family and relationship, loss of values, yearning for personal fulfillment (and not finding it), a hunger for (authentic) spirituality
    ... and addiction (my addition).

Almost everyone I know has one or more of these symptoms. They are the signs of a post-modern world and they are painful, deep-seated, and complex -- and are (in my opinion), the central causes of all our addictions.

If soul deprivation is so pervasive, then it probably is affecting you and/or someone you love in some meaningful way. It may be fueling an addiction or at least some compulsive behavior that distracts or threatens to harm or destroy some aspect of your life. The question then is: What can you do about it? How can you learn to recognize and meet your soul needs?

The answer to this incredibly important question is complex and certainly requires more than one brief article (there will be more) -- but here are a few guidelines that you can explore immediately.

Creating a Soulful Life

1. Begin to see your life as a work of art. Imagine that you are an artist and that each day you have an opportunity to create it in your own special way.Remember that life is a Mystery and approach it that way. Let go, at least briefly, of goals, 5-year plans, bottom line numbers, material acquisition and control and open yourself to the Mystery and the unknown.
    2. Open your heart and your mind to the people in your life (family, friends, co-workers and even strangers). Learn to feel for and with them.
    3. Spend today giving instead of receiving or taking.
    4. Take a long walk ALONE at least once a week. No iPod, no cell phone, just you, ALONE.
    5. Search for soulful resources. Look for people, books, music, places, activities that nurture your soul and invite them into your daily life. This also means it will be important to avoid soul-depriving people, substances, books, music, television (almost all of it), and activities.

If you nurture your soul daily, you will find that your addictions begin to lose their hold on your life. It is your choice. It is your soul.
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Are you soul-deprived?

I have to say... I love that article. And I think you're right.. we want change right away.

Maybe women are more in tune with this kind of need.. I've been .. In Search of.. spiritual answers for some time.. even when I was drinking. I think the above advice is great...

Here's something from another program that I think is helpful to me today:

All love given returns.
    I will learn to know that others love me.

For me, the I will learn to know that others love me is pretty powerful. It allows me to just sit back.. and feel it. To know one is loved... well that's different than drinking away any opportunities for receiving love.. let alone give it.

Thanks for posting that article....
    P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
    - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Are you soul-deprived?

I was.
      Now I am trying not to be.
      I will continue to try not to be.

Heavenly
      ?We are one another's angels?
      Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Are you soul-deprived?

Hi Hippie

Seems you have been doing a lot of soul-searching.

Since reading Louise Hay's You can heal your life I really have had a turnaround in my thinking.

I think part of this soul-searching is related to the need for love from external sources. It's something that if you have had a difficult childhood or experiences that can seem like a huge overwhelming need for acceptance. I am finding though that I hold the key to a lot of the problem. If I treat myself well and try to focus less from the outside, I feel better. It's actually an amazing gift to have self-esteem, it's like a buffer against life's hardships.

I find myself wondering a lot lately why I spent so many years with such a harsh internal voice and some very bad personalization distortions, which I know you know about through your CBT training. It's when the world view is harshly distored against onself and experiences are viewed through this negative space. It seems pretty clear to me that some of us are making ourselves emotionally sick and no wonder alchol seems like the great escape.

When life seems unfulfilling or we are suffering, the Buddhists say that this is part of our experience that helps us relate to other people. It's part of the human condition (Pema Chodron's When things fall apart is great for this). Also things are always changing,which makes a melancholy tide easier to bear. I am trying to combine this philosophy and the non-personalization ideas I get from psychotherapy.

I would also suggest that when you feel really sad that you try to share it with someone because I think the power of the distorted or overwhelming views starts to dissipate. You can share it here too but I would advise finding a live person you can open up to about this, perhaps a therapist. And maybe you can meet some MWO people in person as they are having a meetup in London soon.

Good luck with getting over your melancholy.

Comment

Are you soul-deprived?

Hippie, that is an amazing and EXTREMELY thought provoking article. Thank you so much for sharing that. I really think it can help many, many people.

Your comments about drinking as a teen and losing that time really struck a chord with me.
          I just don't like to dwell on the past. It's all just too painful. Too many years of a lot of bad sh$t. How's that for eloquence?

I did notice that is said there would be follow ups to this article. Can you PM me or post the link as to where I can get the future segments?

Thank you again. I truly hope you find what you are looking for.

Love, Me
          :l
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Are you soul-deprived?

im not too sure what you mean by soul deprived although the article was certinally interesting , we can never get rid of our soul but we can blank it out ie and thats what addiction does really
            and prehaps we have to go through our own season in hell to acknowledge it in the first place the secular society in which we live hardly recognizes the soul anymore . even a scientiist can not find it on the end of a microscope
            each life is a journey and it encompasses both light and darkness
            we can not not experience one with out the other
            i remeber the quote by dryden a uk 18th century poet " to blackend for heaven to white for hell"
            eventually we will get there

Comment

Working...
            X