Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day 23af and I'm feeling a bit blah

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else who has been af for an extended period started feeling a bit "off" after 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm at day 23 af and feeling a bit down. I went through 5-6 days of what I would call medium withdrawal symptoms and felt quite good after that.

For the last 3 or 4 days though, I've been feeling a bit down. A bit empty if you will. I'm feeling very sober.

I'm sure it's just an adjustment of my brain chemistry that's going on.

I've been doing a fair bit of exercise and eating well. Would this be part of my detox? I guess it probably is. It just feels like a bit of an anti climax after the way I was feeling.

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appreciated.

I plan on staying af. Hopefully I will start feeling a bit brighter soon.

Warm Regards

Brett.

Hi again Brett
    I think its quite normal to feel like that - the honeymoon period of being AF might be waning. I find a good thing to do is to read the posts with people starting out and my story etc - some are so sad etc not that I am benefiting from other people's misery its just that then I realise how far I have come and its joy joy joy again. Glad to hear you are on day 23. I think I was feeling a bit blah around then too. It will pass. I am now 43 days AF and 44 days fag free....... although I am not really counting any more well maybe a little.
    BH

Comment

Hi Brett,

This feeling is normal to feel like this. I had the odd few days in a row thoughout my 30days af feeling down crying, shuting myself away in my bedroom feeling tired thoughtout the day(not no more) but this does pasts.
      What you are doing is great.... I to did exercise thoughtout my 30daysaf it does help clear the head especially in the evening times for me. Also good for the brain chemistry. I do know when i got past 21 days af i knew that i was not going to let anyone stop me or get in myway.
      You are doing all the right things so keep it up and you will benefit from it.

Love
      Teadrop.x
      31days af
      family is everything to me

Comment

Hi BH,

Let me first congratulate you on both the fags and booze. That is a bloody amazing effort!!!!!

I've just got back from the gym and feel a bit brighter.

Hopefully just a bump in the road to success.

Cheers

Brett.

boozehag;325771 wrote: Hi again Brett
        I think its quite normal to feel like that - the honeymoon period of being AF might be waning. I find a good thing to do is to read the posts with people starting out and my story etc - some are so sad etc not that I am benefiting from other people's misery its just that then I realise how far I have come and its joy joy joy again. Glad to hear you are on day 23. I think I was feeling a bit blah around then too. It will pass. I am now 43 days AF and 44 days fag free....... although I am not really counting any more well maybe a little.
        BH

Comment

Hi Teardrop,

Thanks for the support.

I know that I'll be feeling 110% soon.

Maybe I'm overdoing it.

Thanks again

Brett.

Teardrop;325791 wrote: Hi Brett,

This feeling is normal to feel like this. I had the odd few days in a row thoughout my 30days af feeling down crying, shuting myself away in my bedroom feeling tired thoughtout the day(not no more) but this does pasts.
          What you are doing is great.... I to did exercise thoughtout my 30daysaf it does help clear the head especially in the evening times for me. Also good for the brain chemistry. I do know when i got past 21 days af i knew that i was not going to let anyone stop me or get in myway.
          You are doing all the right things so keep it up and you will benefit from it.

Love
          Teadrop.x
          31days af

Comment

Hi Brett

I'm on day 14 AF and have been feeling a little blue myself for the past couple of days. It was pretty much smooth sailing up until now. I guess it had to hit some time. Sorry I'm not being very helpful here except to say that you're not alone. I'm sure we'll get through this if we just stick with the programme.

Wooflet x

Comment

Hi Brett,

I have felt the same way. It could be from the liver repairing itself and toxins being released. Don't know for sure but it passes. I do know that it beats a hangover.

FB

Comment

Well done wooflet 2 whole weeks! You are over half way (that's irish for you) I mean you are exactly half way. You can do it think how proud of yourself you will be when you make it to 30 days and then you have show AL who is the boss and you can decide what you want to do from there on. The hagmeister will be watching...
                Teardrop thats a great job 31 days. And Brett you soooo know you can do it.
                I must admit I have been biting my plastic french polished nails.... i wonder if its poisonous?
                Its quite tasty actually.
                BH

Comment

After the first couple of weeks when improvement both physical and emotional is daily, suddenly it feels like life is hardwork -being responsible all the time can be a bit dull.

What I try to do is give myself a couple of things to do during the month - stuff you couldn't have planned or done at all whilst still drinking.

For me that was getting to the snowdome, trying to get my boarding going, going for a meal in probably the best Indian in the northwest of England, tickets to see a band - ok, only locally but I really couldn't have done that properly drunk!

I look forward to getting dressed up (or down), going out into the wide world sober. Everyday can be an adventure/

Comment

Great on you, all of you.

I can tell you from my looooong experience of detox/slip-drink all day/detox that for me, 2 weeks and 4 weeks (approx) have always been the hardest times. In fact, I've almost never made it past 4 weeks, so be warned!

I think eating really well and excerise are key--
                    But I think UKblonde's advice is fabulous and I'm going to try it this time round (day 7 here, after falling spectacularly from a blissful 6-week stint sober).

And of course coming here helps.(I stopped and looked what happened to me)
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks Brett for starting this post. It's good to know that what we're feeling is 'normal'.

BH, UKblonde, FloridaBoy, Teardrop and Beatle - thanks for letting us know that this too shall pass. It makes a huge difference.

BH how can I fail knowing the hagmeister is watching. Um glad you're 'enjoying' those nails...

Wooflet x

Comment

Fresh Start,

Congratulations! You are doing well! I am 37 days AF. I am elated that I am not drinking and beginning the rest of my life but I have gone through a smorgasboard of emotions and physical sensations. Grief - that I actually allowed alcohol to get such a hold on me and hurt the people I love and my body. Anger, joy, etc.

At 7 weeks plus I am still sleep more than should be normal. I believe it is my body's exhaustion because of cellular repair. We can be pretty hard on ourselves and that doesn't get better over night.

UK's ideas are great! I will take that advice myself. I think too, that while drinking I have isolated myself, as I drank at home. My evenings 3-4 times a week were about...you guessed it, DRINKING! Now, I need to re-establish my social contacts and routines. When I do that, I am sure my moods will stablize.

The more our thoughts exclude anything about alcohol, the better we become. Even if the thoughts are "I used to drink". Those thoughts will become fewer and further between. I look forward to that time.

Hugs and Support, :h Best
                        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

At 7 weeks plus I am still sleep more than should be normal. I believe it is my body's exhaustion because of cellular repair. We can be pretty hard on ourselves and that doesn't get better over night.

It took a long time to tear ourselves down and the repair will be gradual. Our bodies are going through things we have never experienced before. I am just going to enjoy the ride.

Comment

Interesting post Brett,

Like beatle said (4th week) dont know why but i do feel scared this week.
                            I think a lot of thinks comes to the surface sooner or later, dealing with my emotions and facing up to them can be hard as well. But today i cry at my group session but felt good knowing that i open up for the first time. Dont think i could of done this, if i was still drinking if that makes sense. Dont realise how much AL covers up all our emotions inside.

All the best!
                            Teardrop.x
                            family is everything to me

Comment

Teardrop;325953 wrote: Interesting post Brett,

Like beatle said (4th week) dont know why but i do feel scared this week.
                              I think a lot of thinks comes to the surface sooner or later, dealing with my emotions and facing up to them can be hard as well. But today i cry at my group session but felt good knowing that i open up for the first time. Dont think i could of done this, if i was still drinking if that makes sense. Dont realise how much AL covers up all our emotions inside.

All the best!
                              Teardrop.x
                              Or distorts them.

Comment

Working...
                              X