A A is not for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A A is not for me

I just got back from the outpatient rehab and I felt like I was talking to the wall!!!!!They believe only A A will keep me sober.WRONG only I can keep me sober .I got every beer in my house and dumped them down the pot.then crushed the cans .It felt so empowering Women for sobrietys New Life program helped keep me AF for 16yrs. but they did not want to hear about that or MWO programs,just make sure I keep coming back ,and do not forget my check book.They wanted me to stay there 5 days and then promise to go to A A everyday for 1 yr.I grew up in Ala teen and latter went to adult children of Al.I know the big book quite well and it helped accept that my family were not bad (just sick).A A is great for some , but it has only served to keep me powerless and stuck in the past.I now pledge my life to my own recovery becauce I am worth it.I will prove them wrong.Blessings to you all (day 3)and counting Evie
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

A A is not for me

Well done evielou. Find what is best or works for you thats what "my way out" is all about. Sounds like your head is in the right place which is the main thing. Best of luck.
    BH

Comment

A A is not for me

Evie,
      I have been thinking of you, and hoping for the best. I do like your post. 12 step groups are wonderful, but they kind of think they are the end all and be all, sometimes.
      I have been finding MWO to be pretty magical for me, and best of all - private!!
      You sound well, and I hope you post here lots!
      Lila

Comment

A A is not for me

good luck

I hope you do well without AA, I have been battling, trying to make it work for me for YEARS!!! I just posted on another thread about it, I am still ambivilant whether it can or will work for me.......................you have had way more exposure to it than I have, my brother never made it, tried and tried for years, died in a motorcycle accident drinking.............so there, it didn't work for him, so far hasn't really worked for me as I keep drinking even when going to meetings, duh!!!!

I DO have lots of friends in the program who it works for, and I hang around them, they are actually fun, and full of love and hugs and encouragement...............

Thanks for the insight, as I sit here on the fence trying to figure out what to do for me...............:thanks:

love :hand hugs:l, congrats on 3 days!!!:goodjob: THAT IS A FEAT, I cannot seem to get one under my belt this time around, know what to do and not to do, but medicating myself I think right now................

MA
        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

A A is not for me

Jean fitzpatrick New life steps

Step 1 for me is to realize that I have a life threating Disease that once had me.Have you seen the women for sobriety web site? If not, I hope you will,They helped me save my life the last time round.I will keep you in my prayers!!! Evie

Comment

A A is not for me

good job on 3 days evielou...keep it up
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

A A is not for me

Evie, so glad to hear that you are in the ready to fight for yourself and your life mode!! The most important thing is to have a"Plan" and WORK the "Plan". Many here are enjoying sobriety without AA. Others do both and that also works for them. It is all up to you! I do believe what you said, YOU are the key to making sobriety work for you. Others can help you by sharing insights and personal experiences and supporting you in your efforts. But, at the end of the day, it is all about Your Efforts!

Best Wishes to you.......We are here to support you.

XX Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

A A is not for me

KATE LOVE ,not like LOVE Disney(as pumba would say)You Too?????? Evie

Comment

A A is not for me

Wow! you summed up exactly how I feel about AA. Yes it's helped me a lot, but no it's not a healthy way to live. The only way a lot of AA members stay sober is because they sit in "those rooms" every night. Well I don't call that living. We need to be able to intergrate with the real world. I had a taste of the "cult" like way of AA.... I SLIPPED!! after 3 months sobrierty, I slipped. and no one bothered to find out how I was. They only care if you are sober and working the "programme" I too, agree that it's our recovery.. our way. Their way is not for every one. I am sending you my very best wishes. This is damned hard to "cure" but with support and the will, we might just be able to do it. Hug. Maxy
                  Sometimes the only way to stay sane is to go a little crazy

Comment

A A is not for me

There's been a lot written about AA in this forum. Go back and take a look-- you'll find some of the most passionate posts.

Personally I am convinced it is a cult. Doesn't matter, though, if it helps some people, they are welcome to it-- the problem is that it has a complete monopoly on alcohol treatment, with most doctors, politicians, and the evryday non-alcoholic all convinced it is the one and only way to rehabilitation, AND shoving it down the throats of all those battling an alcohol problem.

Yet, statistics for long-term recovery with AA are DISMAL. Actually there are no real statistics (isn't that amazing that it can be so powerful without any proof?) but it is estimated at around 5% or less (who stay sober long-term with AA).

Anyway- read the orange papers -- Orange Papers -- for a very detailed explanation.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A A is not for me

Orange papers on Oprah show

I am just blown away !!!!!!I felt so bad about myself for feeling A A was bad(it is great to know that I am not alone.Does anyone have any ideas how we could get this out to the public,or should I change my name to POLLYANNA? Evie

Comment

A A is not for me

Wow Renegade, you've got the right approach for AA. I never got that far, I just left. Good for you!
                        Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

A A is not for me

Not sure if I should post this. I am familiar with AA through my Mother (I read all the books, 12 steps etc.). I personaly did not like the idea that members were told they were "completely powerless", and needed to have to take an inventory of all the bad things they did (she had very low self esteem at that point..don't know how that inventory helped...).

I prefer to think of myself as empowered...I just need to find the right combo of physical, emotional and spiritual support and resources. I think this site provides a lot of them! Maybe not what some are going to want to hear, but some research shows that people who have gone to AA previously are least likely to be able to moderate in the future. I beleive this is because of the ingrained message that you have no control. This could be true for many people, but we all know that there are those here who have been able to achieve it.
                          Anything I can Believe, I can Achieve!

Comment

A A is not for me

That was very well put, Believer. Also, Renegade.

Sometimes we anti-AAers tend to get a little too aggressively anti (though I think we feel the need to do so because the rest of the world is so aggressively pro-AA)... but it's good to keep a moderate perspective.

Still, no matter what, everyone should feel empowered, whether or not they choose to use AA as a tool in their recovery. The important thing is that they CHOOSE it (which is unfortunately not always the case).
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A A is not for me

Thank you for posting this Evie, it did me good to read it. I am having psychotherapy at the moment, trying to make sense of my past and the counsellor keeps pushing AA down my throat. Does not want to hear about MWO. "Oh, well those people are in other countries, you could phone somebody down the road". What good is that if I dont connect with the person. The meetings I went to I found everybody stuck in the past and some were like broken records. I'm doing it my way and may find a different counsellor.

Rustop

Comment

Working...
                              X