A A is not for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A A is not for me

I think you NEED to find a different counsellor-- this one isn't listening (isn't that what they are paid for?).

BTW, while AA doesn't keep statistics itself (gee, I wonder why?), there ARE statistics that show that people who are involved in and choose their own way of recovery, who form their own program, have far, far greater success than those who just do what they are told to do.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

A A is not for me

Evie,

Like everyone else here, I feel strongly you need to find Your way out.

I personally enjoy AA and at times it has truly saved me from myself. Other times, like Mary Anne, I have walked out of a meeting and driven to a bar.

I do like the face-to-face discussions with people like myself and get a lot out of it now, especially since this time I truly mean I want to stay sober.

Mindset is everything in this battle. EVERYTHING. We are fighting our own minds, the basic self-survival part of our brain that thinks that drink is required for survival and the higher brain that knows it is killing us.

Use whatever tools you need to to win.

I am so glad you are through the rough physical part and are now looking at the future.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A A is not for me

How ever you do Evielou just keep doing it! I myself have not been to AA though my best friend has been going there 3 x' a week for over 18 years and is the happiest guy I know. As I embark on my second and hopefull last journey to stay AF, I do embrace all that any program has to offer. No matter what we do or how we do it, we still must overcome our demons and that is not something easily done on our own. I look forward to hearing about your progress and little victories.
        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
        Watch this and find out....
        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

A A is not for me

AA

I just wanted to add, THANKS:thanks: for all the insight everyone..................Evie, you are doing great! Beetle, thanks for the Orange Papers, just read that stuff, wow!! Want to look into the (is it Women for sobriety?) program, will go look at that post from you Evie................I still will try to use the tools from AA, will probably still go to meetings at times, there ARE a few I enjoy truly.

The socialization factor I think is a plus, and the powerlessness stuff I cannot get through my thick skull, maybe since I still feel empowered..............??

Evie, this is a great thread you started, I want to research more now on other threads someone talked about................THANKS!!!!:thanks:

MA:l:h
          :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

A A is not for me

I didn't like AA at all at first, I used to go tolerate the meetings expecting somehow, magically by just being there that I would get sober. I stopped after almost 1 year because I was just getting worse. When I reached tock bottom I knew I wanted to go back, so used the meets in rehab to build the confidence I needed to go back to my home group.

I got there and really enjoy the meetings even just as a sociable thing where I can check in with other alcholics. AA certainly doesn't get you sober but can help you stay sober.

Comment

Working...
            X