THE BROWN BOTTLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE BROWN BOTTLE

I was sent this by a friend this morning and thought I would share it here.

THE BROWN BOTTLE

(Dedicated to a father, whose dreams of the promise were lost in the brown bottle.)

Once there was a caterpillar named Charlie who lived in the woods. There was nothing observably special about Charlie. He was an average looking caterpillar amidst thousands of others. Like them, he spent the majority of his time crawling from leaf to leaf, eating as much as he pleased, and dozing in the warm sunlight. Life was good Charlie was happy.

As you know there is something special about caterpillars. From the time they are born, they are aware that something beautiful beyond their imagination will one day occur. It is called The Promise. Charlie was a believer. For as long as he could remember, he had loved The Promise. Its mystery filled his days and nights with dreams of anticipation. In this way, Charlie was special, for his love of The Promise by far exceeded that of any normal caterpillar. He grew more and more impatient in his intense desire to receive its gift.

One day, as Charlie was exploring the valley, he was attracted by a bright, shiny object lying in the meadow. It was a brown bottle. The sun?s rays danced on the glass and gave it an aura of golden splendour. It seemed to beckon Charlie. Filled with excitement, he hurried as fast as he could go. Charlie was a bit scared when he reached the bottle, for it was something entirely new and frightening. As he explored it, curiosity soon overcame his fear. He travelled its surface from end to end and top to bottom. When Charlie entered the bottle, something magical seemed to happen. A soft, mellow glow enveloped him in the warmth of a false utopia. After a time, he was lulled to sleep by the gentle voice of the bottle whispering of pleasures yet to come.

At first, Charlie spent most of his time leading the normal life of a caterpillar with only occasional trips into brown bottle. But as the days passed, he longed more and more for the mellow glow it offered and his trips became frequent. He began to venture deeper and deeper into the bottle to find the utopia he sought.

Sometimes, Charlie?s friends came to visit while he was in the bottle. As he moved about within its glass walls, he appeared to be different then he really was. Pleased with all of the attention he received, he would do silly things to make his friends` laughter make him feel important. Then the bottle seemed to whisper, Charlie felt that, indeed, what bottle had said was true.

By the end of the summer, Charlie seldom left the bottle. It had become more important to him than the warmth of the sunlight, more important than the companionship of his friends, even more important than the promise itself. He began to depend on the bottle for all of his needs. It had become his home.

With the coming of autumn, the world outside the bottle began to change. Cold winds swept down from the north. Green plants turned brown and died. There was a rush of activity among the caterpillars for they knew that they, too, must change with the seasons and prepare for the winter to come. On the final day of preparation, Charlie?s friends went to the bottle and called to him, ?Charlie, please come out before it is too late. We must get ready to receive The Promise.? Surrounded by the warm glow, Charlie gazed out upon the barren valley. ?I would be foolish to leave this warm, safe place and go out into the cold with you. I could leave if I wanted to, but I would rather stay here.? Laden with sorrow, Charlie?s friends turned away from him in hopelessness and returned to their tasks.

One day, as Charlie gazed out upon the snow covered valley, the bottle again spoke to him, ?Charlie, you have seen your friends suffer from the cold in their quest for The Promise while you have remained here, warm and safe with me. Surely by now, you know that I am better for you than the empty promise.? And Charlie knew that, indeed, what the bottle had said was true. On that day, Charlie deserted his belief in the Promise, and surrendered his dreams to the control of the brown bottle.

Winter passed slowly and Charlie lived in a hazy world within his glass confines. During his long stay, he had not eaten or taken care of himself. He began to grow frail and thin. The warm glow was slowly fading. The bottle?s walls were becoming cold and uncaring. On occasion, Charlie tried to reach the bottle?s opening in an attempt to again find the outside world. But now the voice of the bottle was cruel and commanding, ?Charlie, you cannot leave!? Weak from hunger and filled with despair, Charlie would slide feebly back into the depths of the bottle. At these times, he would utter quietly to himself, ?I could leave if I wanted to, but I would rather stay here.?

The mellow glow was completely gone now and there was nothing special about Charlie anymore. His good feelings about himself had gradually been replaced with guilt and hatred. He had become nothing more than a sad, frightened little caterpillar, trapped in a brown bottle.

Spring came. The valley was filled with beauty beyond compare. The sky was a rainbow of colour as thousands of butterflies tested their wings for the first time in a never ending flight of freedom. THE PROMISE HAD BEEN FULFILLED.

On the day of The Promise, Charlie died. Alone, in silent desperation. No one knew, no one cared. Least of all, the brown bottle.

THE PROMISE

Alcoholism, if not ?treated?, is a deadly illness. It is the silent thief of hopes and dreams, the destroyer of families and love. It robs its victim of pride and dignity, offering guilt and self-hatred in return. Hope does exist for the alcoholic. With proper treatment and sobriety, alcoholism can be overcome. The alcoholic is then free to live a rich and rewarding life. Achievements of one?s greatest potential are once again possible. The Promise CAN be fulfilled.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Hippie
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm printing this so I can read it again and again.

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

God Damn...Hippie when are you going to realise how brilliant you are!

That is EXCELLENT! Thanks ... Rippled

BROWN BOTTLE
      :confusedmonkey:

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Very very good...guess we have all seen and been in that brown bottle...But I am going to be the
        butterfly that finds the promise

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Hippie,

Thank you for sharing! I have printed this, saved it and e-mailed it. Certainly a great analogy as to how the allure of alcohol can take us away from a fulfilling and meaningful life to eventual ruin and inevitable death. I have goose bumps just thinking about it.

Hugs, Best
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Thanks for sharing hippie...:thanks:
            Jacqui xxx
            Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Thank you so much Hippie.
              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Just thought I'd bump this one as I'm feeling the promise is being fulfilled in me today!!!

Love, Light and Rhythm
                Phil
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

A great big heart-felt hug to you phil!!
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Thanks Hippie - Loved it!
                    Im so glad I made it out im time, i can feel these wings starting to flutter :butterfly:
                    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                    AF - JAN 1st 2010
                    NF - May 1996

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

wow am I ever glad I read this story, I loved it so much I e-mailed it to a friend I just finished having a conversation with about are drinking...

Thank you.

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

I remember reading this b4 Hippie, but never posted, maybe because i didn't have my wings on than. But today i notice my wings are growing bigger and bigger and im loving the feeling of it. Im going to print this one.
                        Thank you.x
                        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Thanks for bumping this up, Hippie! I don't know how I missed it before, but I love it.

I also must say how I love your avatar pic. The hope and happiness in your face is just so awesome. You have come a long way. :h
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

Hippie37, Thanks for reminding us the real truth about alcoholism and the hope of sobriety!

Runningwind
                            The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind. William James (1842-1910)

Comment

THE BROWN BOTTLE

lovely, never seen it before thanks hippie

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                              X