What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

I must give credit where credit is due to taking topamax, but early in my AF days, I made sure that I ate something nutritious IMMEDIATELY upon coming home from work. It worked wonders on helping to settle down the cravings. Even if you have to prepare ahead or get take out, getting a nutrious meal into you will help enormously!
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

What am I doing wrong?

So many good suggestions above. I know what was critical to me in my early AF days was first and foremost getting all the alcohol out of the house. Tell your husband he'll just have to live without it also or go out with friends if he wants to drink. I was lucky - mine doesn't like to drink.

Next most important thing was exercise. I never felt like drinking after I exercised. So I got in the habit of coming home from work, having a bite to eat (very important to do this) and then immediately changing clothes and going for a bike ride. If there is no booze in the house, this isn't too hard.

It's all about establishing new habits and most of all a positive new mindset. Remind yourself you are not giving something up - you are gaining a wonderful new life instead.

Good luck. You CAN do this!
      Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

What am I doing wrong?

Boy, the HALT acronym is pretty strong -- can't tell you how many times I feel all 4 of those upon coming home from work, with hungry fussy baby on top of that! I'll keep that in mind though in the coming weeks. I am not really sure if the Topamax is working for me; maybe I'm not taking enough, and I am also not sure if I will be able to afford to take it for much longer. Insurance covers it but it's still expensive.

(Young at Heart, it's good to hear from you -- I remember you from my early days when I first started reading and posting. What's your story? I am still struggling but really want this to be the time to change.)

I had wanted to have a "big conversation" with hubby this weekend, but the weather is beautiful, it's a holiday and we have been enjoying some nice family time, so those positive vibes are more important. I only had 2 beers last night -- just decided I didn't want any more, and went to bed early, and feeling pretty good today after taking baby to the park this morning after nice breakfast with hubby.

Take care everyone, CS

Comment

Working...
        X