X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 and Alcoholic

IF I DRINK AGAIN I'LL DIE

natasha farnham

At 14, Natasha Farnham was told by doctors she was the youngest person they had ever seen with liver failure

By the time Natasha Farnham was 14, her drinking was so out of control doctors told her she was the youngest person they had seen with liver failure.

She had started drinking heavily two years before and was consuming up to six bottles of wine a day with a litre of vodka on top.

Now, at the age of 18, she has been warned that if she drinks again she will die.

'I didn't think my drinking was a problem because all my friends were getting wasted every weekend as well,' she said.

'I suppose I thought I looked grown-up and would drink as much as possible - sometimes even passing out.

'I never questioned what I was doing and my mum didn't know because I would pretend I was staying at a friend's house.

'I would save my dinner money and spend it on booze. It was never hard to get our hands on alcohol.

'But now I have no short-term memory and doctors warn me that if I drink any more, I will die.'

Natasha, from Bath, is now on a rehabilitation programme to beat her addiction and hopes her story will help other youngsters to understand the dangers.

'I have been a binge-drinker, had liver failure and been in rehab and I'm still a teenager,' she added.

'At 13, I would drink up to three litres of wine a day, followed by two bottles of Lambrini and perhaps a litre of vodka. I was too young to understand what an alcoholic was, let alone understand that I was one.

'When I was told about the liver failure, it was the doctors that looked the most shocked.'

More info at Binge Britain: 5,000 children a year now being treated for drink problems | Mail Online
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

18 and Alcoholic

thank you for sharing that hipple
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

I think this is one of the saddest articles I have ever read, God Bless her.
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

What a sad story but what a brave young woman to come forward like this to try to help others. I dearly hope she can recover. I know how hard it is.
        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

OMG - Hard to imagine that this could be happening to your daughter, and you would not notice? Where was her Mom?/Dad?

I sure hope she can pull herself around, what a sad thing.
          The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

All that alcohol wreaking havoc on that young girls organs .
            I wish we could swoop her up onto this site and she could find encouragement awaiting.
            Best of wishes to her and to all
            K
            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

Wow.
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

I agree totally Hannah. It is a sad state of affairs when a girl as young as 14 is suffering from liver failure due to alcoholism. I think though an even sadder state is the fact that her parents didn't see anything wrong with her. Surely they must of noticed a difference in her behavior and attitude. I know we cannot expect to watch over our kids 24/7 but there has to be some kind of responsibility on the parents to not let things get this out of hand.

Love and Happiness
                Hippie
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

18 and Alcoholic

I read this too today in the paper and felt shocked!

I too, wondered , despite my own journey with alcohol, how a 14 yr old could be drinking that much by 18 and no one have done anything about it within her family. Maybe they didn't know as they were in the same state/relatives didn't see her often enough to find out. ??? Who knows? But VERY BRAVE of her to print her story I think... hopefully a lesson to be learned for impressionable young folk.

J x
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X