Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon Thought - Friday

Today's thought is:

When angry, count to ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Sometimes we just want to yell. Maybe a family member or a friend messed up, and we want to "set them straight." Start counting. Maybe we got chewed out at work and we want "to get even." Start counting.

We can get drunk on anger. We may feel powerful when we "set someone straight." But like an alcohol high, an anger high lasts only a short time and can hurt others. We must control our anger. This is why we count. Cool down. Think out what you need or want to say. Use words that you'll not be ashamed of later. Learning how to respect others when we're angry is a sign of recovery.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, teach me to respect others when I'm angry.

Action for the Day

Today, when I feel angry I'll count. I'll work at not controlling others with my anger.
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

thanks

Noelle, thanks for the thought of the afternoon, cuz I am REALLY ANGRY right now, thing is I don't know who to be angry at and sometimes when that happens I take it right out on MYSELF, smart,huh??? I need to think this through.................

Thanks again,:thanks::thanks:

lots of love to you!!:l:h

Mary Anne
    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Very good advice! I need to remember this with my kids.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Noelle - this was me last night. I was so angry with my kids, but I didn't count. I held it inside and cursed at the freezer for being so messy. ugh....

i'm such a moron sometimes, but tonight I will count and even take deep breaths. I won't curse at inanimate objects anymore. It scares me and my dogs.
        SuperBernie

Comment

Thank you Noelle...
          your kind words are appreciated.
          Have a wonderful day & weekend!
          AF 6 years
          NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

thank you noelie so true and that one way i control my anger 12345678910 and sos so on so on
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Holding anger in as well can often lead to resentments and this can be damaging for the soul. i agree we have to become calm and relaxed before addressing that anger and I often use breathing techniques and concentrate on counting while doing so. I will then address whatever it is that has made me feel this way in a more positive and manageable way. It does work wonders rather than flying off the handle and making a pig's ear of it!!

Thanks Noelle

Love and Happiness
              Hippie
              xx
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
              X