Yea! I kept calm! Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...... Wow-but-not-a-good-one......but I woz calm!

The strangest, oddest, most disconcerting, surreal 'course' I have ever been on! Actually, it was how I imagined it but had long put it out of my mind as I thought that would be (should be!) most unlikely and I was just being pompous...

A room of 17 people and the instructor....8 women and 9 men, aged from between 20 and 64. The positives were defintely that the folk were all energetic, had nice smiles, were nervous too, looked like they loved their kids..... The rest, (I wont say negatives) was....?????

I went in at 9am and a 'jovial' (polite version) bloke was banging away.....cracking 'jokes' every second including ones about not giving a monkey's how much anyone drank, he drank loads and wasn't it all a great joke.... (except with alcopops for youngsters - oh, good then!)

He talked for about three-quarters of an hour and then we had coffee! No one had been introduced to anyone and no one bothered to speak to anyone, just dived for their fags and coffees.... Then the chap talked for more and then
    we went around the room and said our names - a bit of communication and it was 11am! 3 other people had given up drinking after this....but when they mentioned it, boy, were they shut up quickly when they mentioned the fact - I thought then because, fair enough, this wasn't an AA meeting room.....but.....

It was clear that half the room knew each other, they had been there before, in the pub with them, in prison with them, in bed with them (?!) and just about everywhere else! And the order of the day was to tell the most outrageous stories about their drinking escapades that they could better each other with....and the tutor joined in!

We had a quarter of an hour for lunch and then had to go round and tell everyone what had happened to us 'that fateful moment' and in court.....I really didnt want to dig it all up so kept it short....and how tame I was! What some of them had gotten up to - plus assault etc.... OK, not judging on that here, but it was the laughing about it and everyone joining in - not me - that got to me. I felt angry inside at times because people were joking about situations that reminded me a bit about Bear.....sometimes just to say how stupid the law was about not giving people who do terrible things like that enough punishment, but I didn't see anyone taking it very seriously....

The tutor was an ex-cop and knew all the ins and outs of how 'dumb the cops are' and 'what you want to do is....'. He was being quite correct about the times it takes for a unit of alcohol to be removed from the system by the body, but it all seemed to be about 'starting to drink earlier' (and forgetting to remind the room to stop earlier and they didn't look like they could or would make that bit out for themselves!) and remembering not to drive the next morning 'after a bender'.... (He was at pains to tell us that he always got his wife to drive him to work if he'd 'had a few'.....)

The classic, and where I piped up (calmly!) that I had something to say.....was when he was instructing about our unit system.... Not sure about 'Over The Pond' but here in the UK we have a system that was set up in 1956 (!!!!)... Where women are considered able to drink 2-3 units and men 4-5 before intoxication (?!)....one unit being a 127ml glass of 8% wine (haven't seen a little glass like that since 1956! And 8% wine?!?), one pub measure of spirits (one sixth of a gill here) and one pint of 3.5% beer (most are 4.5%). So, after talking about counting in the pub and watching for waiters filling up your glass when you're not looking, he talked about drinking at home before going out or going to collect hubby from a party or whatever....Did anyone measure their drinks at home? "Now you might think this is a funny thing to say, but you know your best bet at home is to drink the whole bottle as then you'll know exactly how much you've had...because it's so hard to tell if you just keep topping your glass up....."Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! I waited for a sort of joke about that...nothing...so I said, "Um, guys, I don't think that's a very good idea (history, pot, kettle, black coming to mind...but!!) and you can measure it really easily by filling a kitchen measuring jug with water to 125ml and seeing where it comes up to in your usual glass...." (Looks of disbelief!) Not once did the tutor suggest that the individual might like to use a bit of personla resonsibility and decide whether or not they felt drunk!! Not once in the whole day. Even though he talked about how different people can take differing amounts.... I would have thought it was a great opportunity for a suggestion at least...?

Anyway, the guy looked very sheepish after I spoke and started back-pedalling like mad.....Good! My concern was that, with everyone chattering and laughing (grrr!), (and, um, shall I say, um, not being the most highly educated) they would only hear the words, "Drink the whole bottle" and think, great! Spirits and all. (Half of them were doing at least that on a daily basis anyway and proud of it...and the others were gazing at them in admiration.... and saying with that knowing nod of the head, "Alcoholics go to meetings anyway......"

Oh, it was 'sad'...... Just how many of them would end up at AA, here (if they were lucky!) or in a mortuary..... It was staggering just how much they thought they could drink and stay 'healthy'....how normal they thought their lives were. Because this seemed to be all about how much you could get down your throat and not get caught whilst driving....the tutor was
    clear it wasn't much at all....but certainly never suggested anything about, "Wow, don't you think that's a wee bit much...?" Just laughed...Huge beer gut and all that..... One guy (a long distance truck driver) said he drank spirits at home and the tutor held up a glass and said, "So I bet you don't measure it...? Where to? Here?", pointing out a spot about an inch up the glass... "No, to the top," said the guy. "Really?" "Yes." "Right, well do you know how many units that is? "4?" "No, about 10-12..." "Oh." So matter of fact..... The tutor might not truly be there to educate on the health aspect but you think he might have sounded a little surprised at the amount and the matter of fact way the guy said it....? But, no. Like the whole day, booze was the best thing since sliced bread, a real hoot, passing out was a laugh, everybody's hangovers were better then the next.....

And there are two more whole days of this.....two more Fridays..... At the end of which I will know precisely how to 'Drink and Drive' to a high standard, but just not at the same time or in the same 2-28 hours of each other..... (To not be able to drive for 28 hours means about a bottle of spirits - the fact that that amount was even mentioned?!??! Ok, Ok, () but to find that the whole room thought this was 'cool'....?!?!) No, it was, "I will be a 'champion drinker' and it'll all be a great laugh." (What a lost chance to suggest moderation?)

I do hope this tutor changes his tack a bit.... And very much that next week's 'installment' contains loads of positive and useful stuff! I'm not going to be all doom and gloom here - nothing worse than a 'reformed' anything after all!!!!!

I soooh thought of everyone here and the dignity and respect we have nurtured and encouraged in each other and ourselves and how different some of those on the course's lives might be.... But none of them have a problem....not one....(of course...)

So, there you have it.... Thanks God I'm here with you guys....I fetl so grateful every second - and at lunch break the first book I saw on the shelf (it being held above the library) was by HANNAH someone.....and then a great board outside emblazened with BETTY BOOP!!!! So, you were all with me...

And THANK YOU....every word helped. I was so touched...and will go in with a different feel next week.... ()

Love FMS xxx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Oh, finding..... I am speechless. I think perhaps YOU should toutor the next two Fridays.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Finding, perhaps down the road you could suggest a change in the "Faculty". It sounds so counterproductive. Poor you!
      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Not sure who is running the course for you but my tutor was really good. Took a bit to get going but he was more on the - "you really can't tell how much you have had and it's really best not to drive at all if you have had a drink" - side.

A lot of people just didn't know measures or units - never had to think about them. Trouble is there are 1000's of folk doing this every weekend in the UK (many more in the US!). You also don't have to cause an accident yourself - some other road user could bump you, police get called and they will almost definitely breathalyse you. Another important thought is that you invalidate your insurance by being under the influence - so all damage to your vehicle is NOT covered. Luckily my car was only an old one worth maybe ?1200, then I had to pay for it being towed and scrapped - ?278. Ooh and the fine etc.

We were told, and quite rightly so that best way is just don't drive if you have had a drink. That's the only way to be sure.

Enjoy the remainder of the course.

Comment

Thanks UK...... Well, yes, I am sure it is just the way of this guy..... and the fact that I think it must depend on who's on the course.....sort of, must vary as to whether it is folk who feel ashamed of their DD charge or just thoroughly p'd off at the cops....

Me....I really don't want to drive again! I am really quite scared on the roads and delight in walking and public transport - I know I am in a town but it's amazing what you can adapt to if you want to (and the kids are old enough I admit!) and my IBS has completely gone since stopping driving and only rears its head when I go anywhere by car (!), and as for the money...!!!!!! At ?6 a gallon now (128p a litre for diesel today - up another penny), I simply couldn't afford it. We've got two cars in the family already so this is my bit towards the environment and I have a horrible feeling I shall just be one step ahead when there isn't any fuel left for whatever reason.....at least in my mind set!

I just want my licence back so I can truthfully say I choose not to drive rather than a bit of a white lie at the moment along the lines of, "I don't drive...."

I am guessing that even though there are insurance companies that 'help out' bods like me with cheaper DD/DUI insurance (even though I didn't have an accident) after doing this course, it would cost an arm and a leg to be on the same insurance as someone else (e.g. 19 yr old daughter's!) and impossible to use the old "third party on another's car" thing - for the 11 years! (Eeeek!) But I'll be finding out in Module 3...... Oooooh!

And I agree......course or no course, the answer?..... Any drink, don't drive. Anyway, drink = problems so don't drink! A lot simpler for 'us' than the poor other bods working out the units in their 2 bottles of wine and litre bottle of spirits! (Only I am not mocking - I really am not. Serious.)

But I do re-iterate - a DUI/DD charge in the UK carries points on your licence for 11 years and a permanent criminal record for life.....

Not enough people know that even if they don't have a drink problem!

Love FMS xx

Comment

Feet ....... I put the BETTY BOOP thing there on purpose ......

I am your stalker ......

BB xx ....... Glad that you got through it ...........

BB xx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

FMF -- an ordeal indeed ... it made for a good read (I am an optimist!)
              Tiny

Comment

Boopster - THANK YOU!

Feet xx

Tiny - yes, sorry! Verbose??! Me?!?? 'Fraid so! Get a coffee when you see me post!!!

FMS xx

Comment

I reckon you should get a voice activated tape recorder and send the tape back to the judge or whoever is funding this programme!
                  Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Working...
                  X