The drinking personality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drinking personality

Is there a drinking personality? I think so, & I have it. In order for me to become truly sober (not just AF) & calm (as opposed to the workaholic frenzy I can get into) I must:
    -become comfortable in my own skin.
    -settle issues & conflicts in a calm & timely manner.
    -be able to relax.
    -not get enmeshed in other peoples' lives.
    -not do for others what they should be doing for themselves.
    -not be so worried about what others are thinking about me.
    -do what I want to do & not do what I don't want to do.
    -be more open & honest in my dealings w/others & myself.

Thanks for being here everyone. I wouldn't be on this journey wo/all of you.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

The drinking personality

Really, Really good thoughts, (as usual!) Mary. Thank you for sharing that with us!

And you are so right about truly becoming a non-drinker and living that life style, rather than just AF!

Wishing everyone a Healthy, Happy Sober Day!

Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

The drinking personality

Retteacher,

All of the above have, in the past, or now, apply to me. I'm printing this! Thanks!

Best
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

The drinking personality

I wouldn't call what I have as a drinking personality, per se. I have a "don't want to deal with conflicts" personality. Or as I say to myself, a "chickenshit" personality. I don't want to confront my emotions so I drink. Maybe that's the equivalent....... Good thread Mary.:goodjob:

Comment

The drinking personality

I really like your synopsis! I see so much of my own self in it....I'm going to print it out and put it on my bulletin board. It is especially timely this morning as I'm struggling with several of the concepts.
          Great insight!

Comment

The drinking personality

BRAVO AND AMEN! I agree and thanks for the Tuesday thoughts!
            "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

The drinking personality

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!!! Great thoughts.....hope everyone reads.
              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

The drinking personality

Thanks for the thoughts...I also have had what Hart mentions~"escape reality". Never paned out-my issues were still there and sometimes even worse after drinking.
                :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

The drinking personality

thanks

As usual, great insight, thanks for sharing that w/ us Mary...............:thanks:

lots of love,:l:h

MA
                  :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

The drinking personality

This is great Mary. Reminds us that most - if not all - of us have a lot more to deal with than the consumption of alcohol. It's a package deal.
                    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

The drinking personality

We're all getting there in our own way & at our own rates. A sober life is a total package. Once I've put the drink down for good, I must learn to live fearlessly & w/integrity. M
                      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

The drinking personality

Making the commitment

Lucky to still have a job today and hating myself. Lived sober for soooo many years, hating myself right now, but in a way NOT, cuz it takes what it takes to get us to Wake UP
                        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

The drinking personality

Thank you Mary. So true and so simple. Why is it so hard?

Comment

The drinking personality

Thank you Mary. So true and so simple. Why is it so hard?
                            In my humble opinion...nothing worthwhile comes easy. The harder it is to achieve, the more it feels like we have earned it and tend to appreciate it more.
                            Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                            :h

Comment

The drinking personality

retteacher;338554 wrote: We're all getting there in our own way & at our own rates. A sober life is a total package. Once I've put the drink down for good, I must learn to live fearlessly & w/integrity. M
                              That seems to unfold as your mind and body is cleared of the effects of AL.

Comment

Working...
                              X