Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please be an organ donor

Marcie,

My driver's license has "organ donor" on it, too.

I would seriously hope that any organ I have would be used if it is in good enough condition. (They probably don't want my liver.)

I am curious about the eye donor issue. Is that a state-by-state law?

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Please be an organ donor

Yep - my card is signed!

Comment

Please be an organ donor

I'm an organ donor too, have been for years - only now I'm actually taking care of them

Can't donate blood though as I lived overseas for more than 3 years. Pity to as I am O neg - the universal donor.

Beck
        Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Please be an organ donor

I am a donor as well. Working in healthcare I see everyday the need. AND you are so right, SO SO SO many people die waiting.
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Please be an organ donor

Quoted by Cindi
            I would seriously hope that any organ I have would be used if it is in good enough condition. (They probably don't want my liver.)
            I too donate blood, on the National Register for Marrow and a organ donor. I just want to let everyone know that every organ will be used whether it's considered healthy or not. I found out when I decided to become one. I chuckled and joked, "yeah, but they probably won't want my liver" and the lady kindly said "oh, yes they do". What can't be used to save a life directly, goes to saving lives indirectly. They donate many organs to medical schools as well. I never even realized that before, but it makes perfect sense.

If someone out there thinks you are not healthy enough to donate, then please give it another thought. Your organs will still be used to save others regardless.

Thanks for starting such a great thread.

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Please be an organ donor

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention one very important thing. You must let as many family members know that you intend to donate your organs.

Sorry, don't mean to be morbid here but.....I was told by the lady as well that many people forget to let family members know and that funeral plans are made before the organs are removed. Of course, all is too late after the fact. The organ registry has no idea when someone passes away. It's up to our families to make sure that this wish is carried out before it's too late.

Thanks!

Love, Me
              :l
              Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Please be an organ donor

Here is SC if you are an organ donor it is put on your drivers license. Are most states like that?
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Please be an organ donor

They use to have 'organ donar' on our DL's here, but now they don't. I don't know about the US at all.

You have to fill out a card and send it to the Provincial Registry, itself.

I never thought about telling my family about my being an organ donor. Thanks Thankful.

Comment

Please be an organ donor

I guess I had to register my eyes separate because they are not technically an organ but, they use them. Also, if you want to donate your whole body to science you can do that too and they ship you medical schools. Medical schools usually use bodies that are never claimed. TMI?

(don't ask me how I know...I just do)

In FL we have it on our divers license as well
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Please be an organ donor

I have just found this thread. I am a donor.

I am so happy to see this thread. It means a lot.

Some of you may remember the story of Emily who had a double lung transplant and is now happily married and off to a Greek island on holiday this week instead of sitting next to a huge oxygen tank using all her energy just to stay alive.

There isn't a day goes by where she doesn't think of her donor family.

:h
                      Enough is enough

Comment

Please be an organ donor

I am a donor as long as they want whatever I have! I have no issues with tissues. LOL I just made that up I swear!:l:h:h:h
                        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Please be an organ donor

Well I have to respond with my honest and blonde response first, then my serious and blonde response.

When I was first asked if I wanted to be an organ doner, I checked "No". It was when I took my driving test at age 15. I remember thinking.... " why would they ask for an organ... I have a piano, a guitar... I could give blood... why an organ?" I know.... I was raised musical not medical.

At age 21, I figured they would learn that dead people do NOT need organs unless I have to donate the one that plays at my funeral. I would prefer the piano or guitar, so I checked "no".

Now, I have donated all of my organs -- organ music here please! LOL
                          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Working...
                          X