Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought you might find this funny... or you may just find it annoying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I was driving to work this morning, I realised I subconsciously had this funny quirk. If I see a bottle in the gutter I have to look more closely and see what it is (I don't stop and get out of my car, I'm not that bad). But I'm like, what's that clear bottle with a red top, nah its just a coke bottle, ooh look emtpy fosters can, what's that, oh just an empty water bottle. I'm the same if I'm walking down the street, if there's a hedgerow I'm looking what's in it to see if there's any empty liquor bottles - odd. If people are walking down the street with bottles or cans I have to look and see what they've got - I always sigh with relief when its not alcohol. Sad I know... but I kind of laughed about it this morning.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

I think that is really funny.

I also always notice bottles or what someone is drinking IF it is alcohol, but my brain never registers the ubiquitous soda-pop bottles and coffee cups-- they are filtered out of the picture.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

OMG,

This is funny. I never notice things like that.

Always in a perpetual fog, myself.

I'll start looking now, though.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

cindi;340668 wrote: OMG,

This is funny. I never notice things like that.

Always in a perpetual fog, myself.

I'll start looking now, though.

Cindi
        No, please don't be influenced by my obessive quirks!!! :H
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hilarious Vlad!!!

Welcome to the mad crazy world of the obsessive alcoholic!!!!

I still do this today when I see people who 'openly' have a can or bottle in their hand. Even at 9.00 and 10.00 in the morning. Mind due you can still get served alcohol in Whetherspoons' pubs at 9.30 can't you?!!lol. I think it's certain people though I question more than say a 12 year old kid walking down the street. I'm like that on trains too though. If I'm staring out of the window and spot a can or bottle I start wondering how it got there in the first place. I start imagining all kinds of scenarios in my head of how that one can came to be there. I think the obsession with my own drinking has become more of an obsession with other peoples drinking and how I see society's relationship with alcohol these days though. We're continually bombarded with news stories these days about 'binge drinking Britain' so it's never far from my thoughts.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Yes I totally do this. I always notice people of all ages etc that others might not look twice at as typical alkies holding drinks in plastic or paper bags or if someone's carrying round a Sprite bottle that has clearly been used many times (my old fave trick).

I also notice half empty bottles sitting on walls and there is still something yukky in me that says: free booze! even though its probably been p*ssed in or something!

And when I realise a smirnoff bottle lying in the road is actually a coke bottle- it just sort of disappoints me in a way.

See I'm still an alky, even though I'm not drinking...!
            Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

I always notice if someone's got a can in their hand walking down the street and look to see what it is.

Re Wetherspoon's pubs opening at 9.30am: a bus stop I use to go to work is right next to a Wetherspoon's pub and when I'm waiting for the bus, about 9.15ish, there's always a small group of 'street drinkers' waiting for the pub to open. It always intrigues me that they're waiting for opening time rather than just buying cans in the next shop down (which sells alcohol 24 hrs and would be much cheaper). I stand there pondering why they do this - do they want somewhere nice to sit down, indoors?; do they get breakfast while they're in there? One day I'll have to ask them.

Obsession is the right word. :H
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only one...

Comment

I also notice half empty bottles sitting on walls and there is still something yukky in me that says: free booze! even though its probably been p*ssed in or something!

forgot about that one Kim!! and yes I'm still alkie but not drinking!!

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am kinda the same too. I always notice if people are drinking alcohol. I guess it takes one to know one......I always think 'oh dear' if I see someone drinking really early, even though I have done it many times myself.....
                    There is a man that walks past our flat every morning at 8am (coming back from the early supermarket), drinking a can of beer (every morning) with a bag of cans with him. He strangely empties out what's left in the can, just before he enters his building???
                    How bizarre.....I would have finished it??:H
                    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Looking for this thread wanted to reply back.
                      I always seem to notice people buying wine when i go tesco quite annoying really its seems to be everyone... some bloke yesterday was walking towards me with two bottles of wine my heart sunk. I wonder if that feeling ever goes away!

Take Care

Love
                      Teardrop.x
                      family is everything to me

Comment

Gee Guys...You toooo????? What gets me is that I am always looking in trash cans around the house.I guess that I am so used to seeing empty beer cans in there.what a relief to see just old paper and junk instead.....I am sure the trash guy is happier with a lesser load to pick up at my house....EVIE
                        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I always get really jealous if when in a shop, the person in front of me in a queue (line) asks for a bottle of vodka.

Comment

AMELIA;340706 wrote:
                            How bizarre.....I would have finished it??:H
                            Me too!

Comment

evielou;341722 wrote: Gee Guys...You toooo????? What gets me is that I am always looking in trash cans around the house.I guess that I am so used to seeing empty beer cans in there.what a relief to see just old paper and junk instead.....I am sure the trash guy is happier with a lesser load to pick up at my house....EVIE
                              The council gave us a box for our recycling. They soon realised that wasn't enough and gave us another and another... I remember one morning all 3 boxes were full, so full, the lids wouldn't go on - they were all bursting with beer cans and vodka bottles. I was so embarrassed about what anyone walking past was thinking. We are now only putting out 1 box again - which is a clear sign of cutting down!

Comment

Working...
                              X