DUI course has dragged me down....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just needing a bit of a lift here..... perhaps it's the weather as I don't think I am alone so want to say I am thinknig of everyone who's feeling a bit poo, too....

I did the second day of the three Alcohol Awareness Fridays today....and it was ok, but I have let it get me into a place where I just feel down.... It is so strange being in a room full of people who are going on and on about how to drink really hard and laughing about it. And others sitting in utter silence - why? Who knows and yet why shouldn't they if they want to! And no one is talking to each other at all or supporting/sharing/being with anyone else.....In at 9,00, sit down, get talked at, 5 mins for coffee, 15 mins for lunch and out asap at 2.30..... And so odd being told stuff that we have all chewed over for hours and hours here...and seeing and hearing people laugh at it.

And yet, on the other sdie of the coin, it has just dug up all the guilt (and more) about my stupidity for those 12-18 months of drinking..... Family want to hear about it (although they are not pushing me if I don't want to say - and, in a way, I do...but I don't!) and I don't really feel I can say anything without being the biggest black pot calling kettles...... So, I can't speak of it and it is choking me rather.

So, like last week, I wanted to go out and 'be with cheerful people' to sort of change gear....ok, denial maybe but, you know, put it behind me and look forwards again..... But everything has transpired (meant not ot be?) against this and although we started going out at 7.30, it is now 9.30 and am just cooking up chips at home......ther were phone calls, waiting in for people to drop off dogs for sitting, drying daughter's jeans for her to go out while other people got ready to go.....adn this horrible need to 'change gear' aaargh! (Of course I could (am) change gear without getting out of hte house, but it's ok to do something to 'help' if we want to isn't it? (Not drinking, going to look at the coast and boats this was!)

So, chips in, heating on because it is soooooooooooooh ?*%&^% cold! (Flaming June?!?! 12 degrees and 95% humidity = damp!) I came here and am sorry for dumping.....

What on earth possessed me to go where I went with $*&%*$^%*?^ Al? It's disgusting to think I have a Criminal Record for life - I gather today that, on top of never getting to work in certain places because my CRB (Criminal Record Bureau) form will bugger me for life and that'll get worse as beaurocracy worsens, it means I will find it hard to visit many countries in the world - the US only with a visa and a medical for instance...and even then it will depend on which state I want to visit - even on just a holiday. It got to seeming like, even after 18 months of 'winging it' so I don't have to lie but don't have to 'own up to being a piss-head', I might as well.... because I was. But I have so hoped to maintain some idignity and just move through to new pastures and have it drop away.... But tonight, when a friend's b/f said I looked really well, I just couldn't help but think he meant......because he knew back then...I know he did; the family were told how 'amazing I was as I was going to AA' - damn it.... I know it was meant well but.....you can't ever undo these 'revelations'....

Maybe it'll all calm down again after this ?*%&%$?*%^ course is over...just the medical to go through and I can start - or stop - 'lying silently' about why I 'don't' drive....it'll become true that I just can't afford it!

I am intruiged as to how some - although each to their own, of course! - find it good/better/easy to 'tell all' about their drinking story..... I am just toooooooooooooooooooooo damned ashamed. There is nothing in me that is stuffed through being an alcoholic; I just got it badly wrong. There aren't any probelms with drink in my family - I have no excuse.... But not talking about it.....Is it increasing the guilt I wonder?

Thanks for letting me dump - I think I am jsut being paranoid! I'll be ok in the morning!

Love FMS xx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

This is bound to get better when you are done with the class......Some people can be so stupid,i agree!!!! It must be very uncomfortable to have to be there and somewhat embarassing so some people just laugh to cover up their true feelings.I feel that this is the place where we can be honest....In the outside world many see us as bad or weak(they can not understand like those of us that have been there do).I am careful who I share with.Once bitten,Twice shy!!!!!You will get thru this,I know you will....Evie
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Feet, sweetheart, please feel free to vent here whenever you want .....

You are one of the good guys here ............ you have remorse and feelings ..........

I feel for you so very much ........ you will get through this .......... I promise .......

Dont beat yourself up .......

Love & Hugs, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Sorry you are feeling down, FMS. We all go through these periods. It can be so discouraging and depressing, but I think it does help to vent (doesn't it?).

TBH, I think you have had a tougher time than many... you got quite a raw deal with that record and all. I've been in deep shit alcohol trouble for at least 3 years, but my record is still clean, and even after losing my job for drinking, I will probably not have that on my resume as my employer was very kind and gave me the benefit of the doubt.

As for dignity, that is also an important issue with me. But whenever I start thinking about it (or I should say "feeling" about it) I get so upset and depressed, I become paralyzed. So I have decided to leave that one behind and try to focus on the the dignity I am creating for myself sober, and not dwell on the dignity I lost. Make any sense?

Anyway, I feel I "know" you well enough to say you are extremely dignified, and you are proving it every day. Anyway, dignity is really about self esteem, isn't it? And when we don't drink, our self esteem ("the respect and value with which we view ourselves") grows by leaps and bounds.

And if only you could send some of those chips my way, I would be able to drop the dignity bit in a heartbeat.

I hope you feel better before the morning.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

((((FMS))))

Hon, it's almost over. Think of what could have happened, you could have had an accident and hurt yourself or someone else. This was a wake-up call for you, even if it wasn't for others in your class. And lots of people understand about driving while drunk, because they have done it themselves. So if you get a chance to explain the what, it might not be so bad to an employer as other things......especially if it's a one time deal.

I'm so proud of you for handling this so well and it's okay to want a break from all this.....treat yourself to a good movie tonite, or a good book. Take care of you!

Comment

(((FMS))),

I am so glad you are venting here. It surely does help to air these feelings rather than let them percolate inside.

I did the same today, too, and was so greatly relieved and uplifted by everyone on here.

You have done so well, you have a right to be very very proud of yourself.

And, I'll bet you do look wonderful.

Make sure you don't turn a true compliment into a negative. Methinks you need to fluff up about that and feel good!!

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi, she does look wonderful. (It's that old self-esteem thing getting in the way).

And, Yes, FMS, you are paranoid... but aren't we all? I'm sure somebody once told me that paranoia is a sign of intelligence. Actually, I think it was that if you are not a little paranoid, you are not very intelligent-- something like that.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

(((FMS)))

I am sorry you are feeling so down.

I get really down on myself when I think about my own Criminal Record for DUI. Do you have the option of applying for a pardon? We can here after we do what was required by the Courts. It cost some money, but in the end it is worth it.

Comment

Oh...thank you soooh much everyone!

Evie - thank you, and thanks for reminding me that, in my sensitivity, I forgot to remember (!) that everybody tends to laugh when embarrassed and these people who laughed might just feel that.... Too absorbed in my own guilt to think!

BB - as ever, thanks, and for 'being there' when I came out again.....right outside the door, the stall with the Boop pictures! I thought of you!

Beatle - thanks too! Yes, dignity is all intact in the here-and-now....I just lost that to the past and got reminded that that doesn't work! (Chips were good - a couple over....here you are........!!!) And another thanks - aw! And therefore then I am utterly brilliant - brain of a mountian! Ha!!!

Hart - too true.....and yes, we had a fun evening of Friday night TV....lots of humour! I guess it's actually just been a bit of a few days - a doc's appt yesterday meant I had to 'face' my doc and 'the look in his eyes' - I so wish I had never been to him last year and told him about Al....I was just so scared about throwing up (my terror) as I stopped drinking.....and I never did and never needed to tell him...but it is on my notes for ever as well....we can't 'lose our notes' in the UK if we change doctor.....grrrrr! So, a few days of reminders....hey ho!...but that's all.

Cindi - I am so glad you feel better too! A sad feeling shared is indeed a feeling diluted! (A good feeling shared is just a better feeling of course!) Yea! It's been a 'bad-hair-day' as well!!! Appointment booked for Tuesday though! And I just can't stand to be in my winter clothes still! Feel all crumpled! (But far worse things happen at sea so it's ok!)

AFM - no, don't think we can - nothing mentioned yet and as some of the bods are trying to find absolutely anything to 'get round things' and the answer is always 'No'..... It's just.....although I have never worried too mcuh about 'conforming', although wanting to be honest and have integrity, a criminal record was never in my plan! But again, yes, it could be far, far worse...

I realised later this evening that it is 'my old cookie' again.....my $*&%$*%^^ Dad.....and my daughter #1 not being in touch. Not replying to stuff, not contacting me, I think my dad (and poss my daughter#1 and her Dad and step mum...!?!??! Coz they're all four spending hours together just now...?!?!?) have scattered my mum's ashes without telling me... The old 'abandonment ishoooos' again! I let them in and down I go! So, I shall be shoving them out again and getting back to the 'Now'...the present...where I know I live happily. It's only when I lose that place...... And I have been in the future as well in planning and booking an exciting/scary/daunting/wonderful week in Switzerland in August...... It's work, but I shall be travelling on my own and have never done that abroad..... So, past, future and doctors = not being in the now.....not surprising!

But your support has helped sooooh much and means the world....thanks! I shall be fine I know....thanks for helping me 'over-the'hump'!

Hugs
                  FMS xx :h
                  :heart: c: :heart:
                  "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

OK so I'll be the bad guy ..you only drnak for 12-18 months? We can all look down on people. No matter where we are there are most certainly people worst off than we are. I got 1 DWI. Never had one ticket not one run in with the law. I got 100 hours community service and an intervention with the county. I deserved it.I did my time with the county and my community service and bitched the whole time. I did the driving course that you are doing right now.. And I got mad that they referred me on for more help. I was lucky and I would guess as are you that I wasn't dead or in prison. I'm sorry you can all bash me but it's a very small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. I'm thrilled to pay it. Because compared to killing myself or God forbid others it's nothing.

Comment

I spent a night in jail and did the course too ... not cool!!!!
                      Tiny

Comment

FMS, I too lost my DL due to driving drunk in 2006.....I dont get a full DL back until 2009. It is very embarrassing. I know your pain...just do the ordered classes and LEAVE! They are a joke.. I suppose the state means well but most people in the class do not want to get better. YOU DO, that is what counts.
                        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

It's not a joke. It's for a reason.

Comment

I agree with Dolly. It is not a joke. No, a class, communtiy service, loss of driving privaleges even jail will not stop all the people that drink and drive. But no doubt it works for many. Because "everyone does is, or did it", does not excuse the behavior. Anything that is a deterant to driving after drinking is a good thing.

Self reflection is a good thing. Sometimes, it is really hard. That too can be a good thing. We need to learn from our mistakes, we need to take responsibility and we need to do what is takes to not only stop drinking, but to be responsible for our own actions. At the same time, we need to forgive ourselves and move forward, knowing that we are growing, improving and living responsibly. I know that I have learned more from my failures, than my successes.
                            A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

my 2 cents..or 5 cents (being lucy van pelt lol)

dealing with the aftermath of drinking sucks..but it is what it is.

Those that know you will only change over time, as they see you are changed.

Dealing with the legal ramifications..that is tough..but it it what it is.

You just keep on doing well, and the rest will all work out.

I haven't had to go to a DUI class, but I do remember having to go to a parenting class as a requirement for a divorce in Florida. It was me (child psychologist) and a bunch of people who were horrible parents that took this all as a joke...but I just had to do it. Only thing I can relate too. Sometimes you do what you have to. but most importantly, do what you need to for yourself. This is just "stuff".

Beth
                              formerly known as bak310

Comment

Working...
                              X