Vlad is abstaining for a week! Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband challenged me this morning. I gave him a bit of a scare last night - we'd been to the pub and I'd had a few rather large vodkas... When we got home and went to bed, I suddenly had a fit of not been able to breathe properly... not funny. We go to Croatia in a week, so he's said I have to abstain until we go. So day 1 begins with feeling a little hungover, nothing to bad though
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Morning Vlad!

You like your Eastern European destinations don't you?!! Are you and your husband secretly vampires or something?!!!lol.

Can I ask you something honestly? Well I'm going to anyway....After you have had, say for instance, a week of abstinence and you decide to have a drink again; does it not hit you harder after you have had a drink? and does the temptation to go excessive become harder to control due to the abstinence period? I'd like to ask that of all Modsters actually not just yourself. I'm intrigued as to why previously you have 'wrecked' a holiday by getting 'wrecked' you would chance falling out with your husband over a similar episode this time around if you couldn't control the urges after a week of abstinence. Is there no way you could go without a drink over the holiday? Does that seem a daunting task to you?.

Don't take these questions the wrong way please Vlad. I certainly mean you no disrespect but would like to know where your head is coming from over all this.

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I'm also worried about you abstaining suddenly (cold turkey) -- withdrawal can be terribly uncomfortable, and dangerous if it is a long time since you took a break from daily heavy drinking.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I had to slowly come off AL or the withdrawl was dangerous...I hope that is not the case for you !!!!I remember the scary feels of not being able to breath and having my heart feeling like it would stop beating.You are wise to get a grip now because it only gets worse....Make a plan and stick to it !!!! you can do this,I know you can...LOL..Evie
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Vlad, good luck on being AF this week 1. Maybe if you feel good after being AF for 1 week it might turn into 2 or 3. Whatever your decision wishing you the best. Enjoy your holiday.

Cuckoo

Comment

I'll be fine, as previously explained - I've managed to moderate my drinking (I know it doesn't sound like it from my previous post - I can talk more about this) and have already gone cold turkey twice before, I think the first one was 50 days and the second 40 days. The first time was easy, but the second time was very hard with withdrawl and depression setting in about week 2 - fortunately I was able to share my problems with someone at church and they prayed for me. The other weeks became easier after that.
            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

hippie37;341504 wrote: does it not hit you harder after you have had a drink? and does the temptation to go excessive become harder to control due to the abstinence period?
              Hippie,

During my AF stint and before going mod...these were the exact questions I would ponder. I was fearful of trying mod for these reasons. Then I decided to try and see, and if the answers to those questions were yes, then I would return to an AF lifestyle.

Honestly, the "hit" is a little harder, I feel the effect of AL quicker then I did before...but I am only drinking two/three at a time not my old norm of 6to9....I am also drinking water between each drink and this really decreases the "hit".

The temptation to go out of control is NO WHERE in my mind and I DO NOT want that. That is the last thing I want...I am taming the beast and controlling him. I am finding that I can keep my af days with ease, and when I am having a mod night, I am also at ease with my plan. I found that the abstinence period gave me a fortifying ground to stand on, I learned a lot about myself and what I want out of my future. I had some serious heart and head convo's with myself and feel that time in my life was invaluable. I would not jeopardize what I learned for a one night stand with AL, and I am serious!

Hippie, one of my favorite sayings through this entire process has been
              "I will thy will to will."

I know many have tried mod and it didn't work. We modders are not out to sabotage our lives, but we came here for a different kind of journey.....and speaking of journey's we miss you on the 1,000 miles!!!

Also, I did not take any offense to your mod question....I hope this gave you and others some insight.

xo
              flyin'

Comment

Good luck Vlad. Watch the withdrawls. Maybe one week will become two and then maybe three.
                Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

VLAD..there are many obstacles to come...be prepared for good and bad days. I have a strong feeling you will be successful as i read your posts. Take Care and keep coming to read, as we all have been through wot you are going to experience. :l

TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE
                  ODAT
                  BE PROUD

:huggy

Comment

My advice is, the more you can do without drinking the better. So if you can manage a week, great. But it seems unwise to spend that week fantasizing about having drinks on your vacation.

Keep building up the days where you don't drink, days where you deal with emotional problems or social challenges sober. I think it pays off in the end.

Comment

Vlad, One thing I want to ask is you say your husband challenged you. We all know we will fail if we try to do this for anyone but ourselves. Are you sure you are doing this because You want to, and not because of the challenge? Please don't set yourself up for failure.
                      "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" USMC

Comment

Vlad, I truly don't mean to rain on your parade. I wish you success and congratulate you on your goal. We will all be here for support.
                        "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" USMC

Comment

You know Vlad, it seems like you are "playing" with the idea of being able to mod and or stopping. Sorry, that is just what I am getting out of your posts. A word about Modding......Modding is not about sometimes being able to drink one or two and other times going over board. Modding is not about craving alcohol or dreaming about drinking. Modding is knowing that alcohol is like any other food or drink, you can take it or leave it! It is simply not an issue.

Of course, you are free to do whatever you choose. Think about it.

KH
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

KateH1;341658 wrote: Modding is not about craving alcohol or dreaming about drinking.
                            KH
                            It's the obsessive part I'm trying to loose at the moment. I don't really have cravings anymore (only now and again). Earlier this year the dreams about drinking seemed to have stopped... but just 2 weeks ago they came back which annoyed me. I think on another thread I mentioned that just recently I dreamed I was drinking liquor at work, but there was no vodka so I was a little peed off, then I dreamt about people who drank beer with breakfast...

Comment

I used to drink beer FOR breakfast.
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X